Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2013, 03:27 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
D-BG5 Grip on backorder at B&H

I have a D-BG5 Grip on back-order at B&H for several weeks. Does anyone know if Richo is currently shipping grips to dealers? I ask because I returned the Silver Edition after Pentax US recommended I do so due to the power ON/OFF problem with the camera operating with a grip and two batteries. I did receive the K-3 replacement (black because I wanted to get it quickly) but the grip has been on back order for several weeks and B&H has no feel for when they will receive new grips.
Has anyone received a grip from B&H recently? Thanks

11-26-2013, 03:46 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I just canceled my grip order from B&H today. I called them up and they didn't have any idea when it would arrive. I'd been waiting for about a month. I ordered from another retailer that has it in stock.
11-26-2013, 03:49 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
D-BG5 Grip on backorder at B&H
Well my D-BG5 grip has been on order since the 22nd October. Being an overseas order they take the money when the order is placed. Got the following standard email from B&H - "One or more items from this purchase are still out of stock as we haven't yet received the merchandise from our supplier. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused. We will keep you posted periodically."
Maybe the demand for the K3 and accessories has been more than Ricoh anticipated? That doesn't make me unhappy

Not really a big inconvenience not having the grip - just got to have batteries handy when shooting with the HSM lenses with lens stabilisation turned on.
11-26-2013, 04:30 PM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ak_kiwi Quote
Well my D-BG5 grip has been on order since the 22nd October. Being an overseas order they take the money when the order is placed. Got the following standard email from B&H - "One or more items from this purchase are still out of stock as we haven't yet received the merchandise from our supplier. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused. We will keep you posted periodically."
Maybe the demand for the K3 and accessories has been more than Ricoh anticipated? That doesn't make me unhappy

Not really a big inconvenience not having the grip - just got to have batteries handy when shooting with the HSM lenses with lens stabilisation turned on.
Just a little question.

Does the HSM/SDM lenses drain the battery more than screwdrive? If yes, is it noticeable?

11-26-2013, 04:31 PM   #5
Forum Member

I preordered the D-BG5 from B&H on October 15th (at $199) and it shipped on November 7th.
11-26-2013, 04:35 PM   #6

I had to cancel my grip order from B&H and ordered from Adorama
11-26-2013, 04:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've been tempted to cancel and order elsewhere - I just wonder if Ricoh is not shipping until the ON/OFF/GRIP/2 BATTERY issue is resolved. It just seems like B&H would have as much access to new stock as other suppliers.

11-26-2013, 05:07 PM   #8

I've been tempted to cancel and order elsewhere - I just wonder if Ricoh is not shipping until the ON/OFF/GRIP/2 BATTERY issue is resolved. It just seems like B&H would have as much access to new stock as other suppliers.

They could be holding out for that reason. B&H probably had a lot more orders for the grip since their price was $199 at the time too.
11-26-2013, 05:24 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Apapukas Quote
Just a little question.

Does the HSM/SDM lenses drain the battery more than screwdrive? If yes, is it noticeable?
Slightly more drain but not really that noticable.
More of a problem when you use the in lens stabilisation of the Sigma. I don't really use it that often ( Pentax stabilisation works just as well) but it is usefull sometimes for view finder stabilisation when going long.
11-26-2013, 05:28 PM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ak_kiwi Quote
Slightly more drain but not really that noticable.
More of a problem when you use the in lens stabilisation of the Sigma. I don't really use it that often ( Pentax stabilisation works just as well) but it is usefull sometimes for view finder stabilisation when going long.
Thank you!
11-26-2013, 07:20 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I just wonder if Ricoh is not shipping until the ON/OFF/GRIP/2 BATTERY issue is resolved
QuoteOriginally posted by alcstudios Quote
They could be holding out for that reason. B&H probably had a lot more orders for the grip since their price was $199 at the time too.
I don't know for sure, but I would think that the problem is more with the camera firmware than the grip, so I don't think that's what happening. I just think grip demand is stronger than expected. That's also why the grip price has gone back up, temporarily anyway. It'll still settle at $199 once the initial demand has been met.
11-26-2013, 08:10 PM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lots of grip orders have already shipped, I'm sure the rest will arrive & ship soon!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-01-2013, 10:31 PM   #13

Delays

I hope my B&H k3 grip arrives before Christmas Oct 27th i ordered @199.99. Pentax still making these things by hand or what!?
12-01-2013, 11:00 PM   #14
Forum Member

Waiting for any fixes

I normally don't start using the camera until I have the grip with it. I've always used one (K10D, K5, even the ist*DS which used a non-proprietary grip).

As for the K3, I'll hold back on buying it. With the double-battery machine-gun mode issue that almost everyone has had, I'd like to see first if Ricoh will address it with a firmware update. If not, I'll have to get used to not using a battery grip, until Pentax releases a K3II (if ever).
12-01-2013, 11:39 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Teal Quote
I normally don't start using the camera until I have the grip with it. I've always used one (K10D, K5, even the ist*DS which used a non-proprietary grip).

As for the K3, I'll hold back on buying it. With the double-battery machine-gun mode issue that almost everyone has had, I'd like to see first if Ricoh will address it with a firmware update. If not, I'll have to get used to not using a battery grip, until Pentax releases a K3II (if ever).
I am positive that will get fixed, and probably in the first FW update.