Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2013, 04:21 PM   #76

If I would choose it could be Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 and Pentax 50-135 f/2.8. I have this Pentax zoom already and I like it (nice optics) except slow and capricious AF in low light conditions. Personally I plan to buy this model of Sigma and K-3.
Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 is also great lens. Much better (and cheaper) then Pentax 16-50mm f/2.8 (in my opinion).

11-29-2013, 05:26 PM   #77
Veteran Member

For a travel lens you want something versatile, light and maybe weather sealed. 18-135 is obvious choice if you are looking to also purchase task specific pro lenses down the track.
For the pro lenses buy based on functionality and your opinion of its rendering. Look at the photos a lens produces and decide if you like it rather than reading reviews.
Consider some ltd primes as they are a joy to use and single focal length forces you to think and become a better photographer. If you have to shoot events though a fast aperture zoom is essential.
11-29-2013, 07:14 PM   #78
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
Ok, I'll continue... :-)
Seriously, right now, as you've stated. Just buy the Kit with the 18-135 lens & maybe one prime (my taste: da35 2.4).
If, after a while you don't like these lenses, you can easily sell these without much loss. Hec, i'd be interested in the zoom. But I doubt you won't like them. Having a good WR standard zoom and a quality standard focal is a great place to start.
I fully agree with grispie. You've set your heart on the K-3, so that decision is made and it surely is't a bad one. For the lenses I would also recommend the 18-135 and one or two primes (like the 35/2.4 or 35/2.8 LTD, the 50/1.8, the 70/2.4 LTD). The zoom gives you versatility and weather sealing, The primes give you better low light/depth of field/portrait capabilities. Or even macro with the 35mm LTD.
I really like the 40mm-70mm range not only for portraits, but also for landscapes. I'm not the typical ultrawide landscape shooter. And the 35mm LTD is really nice because it's very sharp, it has a very useful field of view and the macro/close focus capabilities are great.

Now the important thing is: with the 18-135 and one ore two of the above mentioned primes, you've got the most importand bases covered and can start to shoot and learn. If in 2-3 months you decide, that the 18-135 or the prime is not for you, you can easily sell it without too much loss and buy the 50-135 or the 18-35 or more primes or whatever. But the point is: the mentioned lenses give you a good starting point and you won't lose any serious money if you should decide to replace them later on.

So I'd say: don't get your brain all fuzzy by thinking about all the possibilities. Just start with the K3, 18-135 and a prime and see where this setup takes you.

Gre vom Bodensee.
11-30-2013, 02:04 AM - 2 Likes   #79
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
OK, after sleeping a night i think it is the wises, but not the most exciting, to get the 18-135 set and a prime to learn the camera and in a month or two i can decide where to invest.
OK, its time to get results. See you later as a proud owner aof a K-3.
You where very helpful and i got amazing input that will help with my next purchases after the first learning phase.

12-01-2013, 09:31 PM   #80
Forum Member

Totally agree with grispie and wisent. With your budget, get the K3 and 18-135mm, together with the DA 35mm 2.4. You can't go wrong with that combination. This should meet your budget.

You'll have a wide-angle and medium-zoom on the 18-135, and relatively quick prime on the 35mm.
Once you've then mastered it and gained enough knowledge and confidence, and with additional funding, you can then look into the DA* lineup or limiteds if you want t extend your photography skills.
12-06-2013, 06:40 AM   #81
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just a short update. I have to wait for my purchase until my new passport will arrive. I had a very embarrassing moment, when i wanted to verify my payment by installments (we have a 0% interest payment by installments with the biggest electronic discounter here in germany, thats why i prefer to split my bigger electronic purchases to have more cash on the bank) everything was fine until the employee told me my passport was out of date. I had to go, apologize to the nice Pentax guy and now have to wait for my passport to arrive. I could have bought it directly, but i have to pay my flight to the U.S. and all the other travel costs for next april and would like to stay in the plus at every moment. (i dont like my account in the reds)
Anyway, im even more thrilled to get my kit. I wanted to test the camera at a very nice historical christmas market, but now i have to wait to near christmas to get it in my hands.
The wait is killing me.
12-06-2013, 07:41 AM   #82
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Arne Bo Quote
The wait is killing me.
we all know the feeling :-)
Maybe a good book?
12-06-2013, 08:13 AM - 1 Like   #83
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
we all know the feeling :-)
Maybe a good book?
Im feeding on books at the moment and im an old nintendo guy so i enjoy the new zelda and mario games. (can i say that at 37? )

i just came home and i got the message that my new passport will be ready next week. Im really impressed that was fast. So at last i will be a proud K-3 owner next week. Jippieh!

12-06-2013, 10:27 PM   #84
Pentaxian

You could also download the K-3 manual and start reading. There is a lot to learn!
12-07-2013, 01:40 AM - 1 Like   #85
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Arne Bo Quote
Im feeding on books at the moment and im an old nintendo guy so i enjoy the new zelda and mario games. (can i say that at 37? )

i just came home and i got the message that my new passport will be ready next week. Im really impressed that was fast. So at last i will be a proud K-3 owner next week. Jippieh!
If there's one thing I've learned while living here, Germans love their bureaucracy and rules, but dammit are they efficient at it When I applied for my passport several years ago, it took me 5 months before I got it. My sisters were 3 months. My wife, who is German (I met her here), got her new passports and ID card with her new last name in a matter of 2 weeks. I was astounded.

Oh, and when I applied for mine, I never received my original birth certificate back

And you got a notification during the process!! That's the most amazing thing as far as I'm concerned.

The time will pass shortly!

-Heie
12-07-2013, 01:42 AM   #86
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
You could also download the K-3 manual and start reading. There is a lot to learn!
Ive done that a few weeks ago. Makes the wait even harder to not get the chance to try things out.