Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
03-11-2014, 04:40 AM   #16
Veteran Member

While I would fight to defend your right to an opinion, none of those 'bonus features' are of any use to me.

03-11-2014, 08:55 AM   #17
Veteran Member

The longer I think about it, the more I lean toward picking up a K-5 IIs for less than $700 rather than a K-3. Despite already having a K-5, the low-light autofocus improvements to the K-5 IIs (along with the absence of an AA filter) make it attactive at the current price. Add a Ricoh GR to my kit and I'm done for a few years.
03-12-2014, 03:35 AM   #18

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Intro
I just hijacked... my own thread! Maybe it will help somebody.
I'm posting pictures from both K30, and K3.

The biggest difference is probably in the micro details
in the spot-lit-stone (picture 1) K30.

BUT that picture is taken on a pod, with MUP, or what
substitutes for MUP on the K30 (timer). The K3 images
are all handheld, without anything to brace myself against.
Basically, all K3 images are spontaneous walkabouts.

I've tried the K3 vs the K30 with banknotes, because of the minute details (also, I'm printing alien money, with my face on every bill!).
Obviously, with MUP K3 has a lot more detail than the K30. Also, the blurring/smearing of a banknote is interesting to see, without MUP that is.

Me, me and ME!

K3 What I like:
The AF: a lot faster.
The new light metering: you don't have to customize (WB), or end up with a weird starting point (PP).
LCD screen: better details, and more neutral in its depiction. The over-the-top approach on the K30
made it a lot harder to evaluate images, fast.

What don't I like on the K3? Well I did say I wished for a CAD like anti-shake simulator...but to be realistic.
The manual is terrible, I prefer the more in-detail K30 or k5 manuals. The new-awful placement of the ISO button.

Conclusion.
I'm guessing that with extensive knowledge of the camera, the; K5, K5 II, and K5 II's can be better, in some cases.
Better dynamic range (HDR, to compensate), and less noise, plus the ISO 80 (anybody even able to see the difference
ISO 80 vs ISO 100?). So, landscape and low-light photography benefits, IF you're on a high enough level (experience/skill).
The rest doubtful, IF you don't have something specific that's essential for YOUR workflow. I, however, fail on all accounts here

Pictures bellow: aka shameless self-promotion! Good show by the way, shameless, that is.

03-12-2014, 04:14 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by stens Quote
I wouldn't hold my breath. You purchased late in the K-5 cycle (shipped in October 2010). K-5II/IIs were announced in September 2012 (2years between announcements). I wouldn't be bitter about an upgrade to a camera that was almost 2 years old when you bought it...at nearly it's price nadir. I've got great photos from my K-5, you probably have also. That's what counts.

K-3 was announced October 2013. Given that K-5 II was an incremental upgrade, this doesn't indicate an accelerating product cycle. It could, but there's not enough data points. If Pentax perform as per history, K-3II would come out in late 2015. I'd hope for a full on successor for K-3, then, but, who knows (FF, anyone?). Maybe Ricoh will pick up the product pace, but that seems unlikely in the camera arena.

If you're happy with the K-5, stick with it and take lots of great photos. If not, buy what you think is best. But don't bog down in gear stats when what matters is the pictures (I note that camo won the last PF photo contest with a photo taken with a K-5...and it's outstanding).
Im not sure, it had quite old firmware so I think it might have been on the shelves a while before they sent it to me ;-). You are right, I still think the K5 is a brilliant camera. I just have one small issue and thats that I think autofocus perform bad in low light conditions (I know several who also complained about this, so I dont think its only me). Living in Sweden we do not have the best light conditions for 2/3 of the year. Normally it takes very high quality images, but the K5II seems a bit sharper to me. I will probably wait a while with upgrade and keep on to my K-5.

03-12-2014, 04:19 PM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Odovacar Quote
Im not sure, it had quite old firmware so I think it might have been on the shelves a while before they sent it to me ;-). You are right, I still think the K5 is a brilliant camera. I just have one small issue and thats that I think autofocus perform bad in low light conditions (I know several who also complained about this, so I dont think its only me). Living in Sweden we do not have the best light conditions for 2/3 of the year. Normally it takes very high quality images, but the K5II seems a bit sharper to me. I will probably wait a while with upgrade and keep on to my K-5.
The K-5 was an awful camera compared to the K-5IIs, truly dreadful AF and the images generally rather soft. Believe me, I have both the K-5, the K-5IIs and a K-3.

For me, the K-5IIs is still my camera of choice of all three. There. I said it.
03-16-2014, 06:40 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
The longer I think about it, the more I lean toward picking up a K-5 IIs for less than $700 rather than a K-3. Despite already having a K-5, the low-light autofocus improvements to the K-5 IIs (along with the absence of an AA filter) make it attactive at the current price. Add a Ricoh GR to my kit and I'm done for a few years.
My K-5 has hardly seen the light of day since my K-5II came home at a bargain price. There are lots of great things to say about the K-5 sensor and some other features, but the AF and flash problems kept my K20d in service indoors. The K-5II is what I had hoped the K-5 would be. I'd say go for it.

---------- Post added 03-16-14 at 07:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Parry Quote
The K-5 was an awful camera compared to the K-5IIs, truly dreadful AF and the images generally rather soft. Believe me, I have both the K-5, the K-5IIs and a K-3.
I thought my copy of the DA*16-50 was bad when I was using it on the K-5 and was about to return it. On the K-5II, the lens is just what I wanted.
03-18-2014, 08:52 PM - 1 Like   #22

Looks like I might be getting the K5IIs as my first pentax camera. I will wait until the K-3 issues are fixed before I decide for sure.

03-19-2014, 11:38 AM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nikonshooter Quote
Looks like I might be getting the K5IIs as my first pentax camera. I will wait until the K-3 issues are fixed before I decide for sure.
-------------------------------------------------------

Given the rate of issues with the K-3 lately, that is a good decision

Rite ..
03-19-2014, 01:33 PM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rite Quote
-------------------------------------------------------

Given the rate of issues with the K-3 lately, that is a good decision

Rite ..
Hah! I'll just go ahead and jinx myself. My K3 has been flawless thus far, but like all new products I expect some glitches.

Is why I bought it where they offered an extended 4 year warranty. I could not buy a silver edition due to this, but I guess
that has to do with silver being an limited edition. It could prove hard to replace one... a few years down the road.

The irony if my K3 starts acting up after this...lol.
03-19-2014, 05:53 PM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ALiEN|PoV Quote
Hah! I'll just go ahead and jinx myself. My K3 has been flawless thus far, but like all new products I expect some glitches.

Is why I bought it where they offered an extended 4 year warranty. I could not buy a silver edition due to this, but I guess
that has to do with silver being an limited edition. It could prove hard to replace one... a few years down the road.

The irony if my K3 starts acting up after this...lol.
---------------------------------------------

The reason I prolonged the K-3 purchase was I originally intended to go with the Silver Edition (with grip). One would think that the only difference between the Silver and Black Editions would be just the exterior finishes. The early Silver Editions had battery grip issues from the onset, so I waited a few months to go with the Black Edition. Apparently I didn't wait long enough. Right out of the box, and within the first five minutes, the uncontrollable shutter defect occurred TWICE.

Not sure if it was the 'luck of the draw,' and not willing to find out, the sample that came to me was returned. It was not an easy decision, since it was a large purchase with three new lenses and had been waiting for the K-3 for several years. The purchase total of over $2,400 was all returned.

Rite ..
03-20-2014, 05:02 AM   #26

Original Poster
Rite,

Understandable, if something like that happens from the onset it tarnishes the whole experience.
My first experience was shooting macro with AF, handheld, and thin DOF. I didn't even bother with AF on the K30,
because I disliked its AF performance.

I have, however, since then used moire-based AF adjustment. It definitely helped a lot more than I anticipated.
On both devices.

Next on my list is: trying to reproduce the shutter flutter.