Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2013, 09:15 AM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
AWESOME job Ed, Personally I think you nailed it. I appreciate your experience and insight. Please keep giving us good information. Bob

12-02-2013, 12:48 PM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Ed put up a new one...
Already posted some days ago
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/244020-photouniverse-penta...but-sharp.html
12-02-2013, 12:50 PM   #33
Site Supporter

have seen that one also, I think it is very good insight !
12-02-2013, 03:14 PM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
Yup, that's one half hour of your life you're never going to get back.

He is enthusiastic, but I've seen more of his videos. In his first K-5 IIs video, he was raving about how it might make the 5D II obsolete. Then in the next video, he said that wasn't the case after all. In the third video, however, he said that he didn't see any difference in the final prints. Same kind of thing for the Nikon 1 series videos. All I'm saying is, he has been enthusiastic before. His videos reflect what he thinks at the time of shooting, which is why I like watching it too, because it balances out the numerous reviews by guys who seemingly don't let any emotion in. But what he thinks may change.
But not really if you were paying attention. The K-5iis DID make the 5d2 obsolete for me. And in the 2nd video I was carful to point out that these were my findings right now and I believe I am always saying "subject to change." And if not then you should consider that explicitly implied!

And what's the alternative? That I be like every other review and just say its great and never say anything else even when I find out more information? Life doesn't happen all at one fixed point in time, if I were to review the K20d today it would suck compared to the competition today. But the week after it came out, it was great. Also, these cameras are not film cameras. It takes a while to get to any kind of an understanding exactly or even basically what they can do... which is the main problem that the K-3 is suffering from right now. Great camera/steep learning curve. It's only going to get worse as the cameras get more complex with higher quality output.

12-02-2013, 03:16 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The undercurrent is relief, excitement, joy, awe that this camera shows something positive about Pentax having a future now that Ricoh has "proven" they're all-in for the long term, versus a prior video where his foundational sentiment was, "Pentax as a camera company basically went away in 2006."

Thanks, Ed!
YES! Glad you got that and said that! They didn't screw up the good stuff, (unless you really need high iso out of camera jpegs, and even that may be fixable when/if people learn to fine tube the settings) and they improved a lot of the points that needed improving. What's not to like? There is hope for Pentax yet, and if that's not important to someone then they should buy a Nikon or Canon and get on with it!

Last edited by Qwntm; 12-02-2013 at 03:21 PM.
12-02-2013, 03:22 PM   #36
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
YES! Glad you got that and said that! They didn't screw up the good stuff, (unless you really need high iso out of camera jpegs, and even that may be fixable when/if people learn to fine tube the settings) and they improved a lot of the points that needed improving. What's not to like? There is hope for Pentax yet, and if that's not important to someone then they should buy a Nikon or Canon and get on with it!
On the Bright side as more K3's get out there might be some Great deals on used ones !
12-02-2013, 03:31 PM   #37
Site Supporter

I'm kind of excited about Sigma and the lenses "art" they might be just the ticket for the K3 like the Sigma 35mm "Art" lens might be very fun to try out ! I'm just saying may be expensive like the DA* 300 but if the shoe fits the K3 wh7y not ?

Last edited by marquis1955; 12-02-2013 at 03:34 PM. Reason: forgot something
12-02-2013, 03:47 PM   #38
Site Supporter

How do you suppose the older Pentax glass would show, low ISO and high resolution ? I also think the lens question is Very Valid although I now also think we have at least for the time being peaked at the 16 to 18 megapixel range, with current ISO technology. I do know that glass made a difference when I added to K5iiS to my bag. To me it is a ton of fun and I love my Pentax gear and I can hardly wait to get my hands on a K3 !!,Bob

12-03-2013, 12:40 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
But not really if you were paying attention. The K-5iis DID make the 5d2 obsolete for me. And in the 2nd video I was carful to point out that these were my findings right now and I believe I am always saying "subject to change." And if not then you should consider that explicitly implied!

And what's the alternative? That I be like every other review and just say its great and never say anything else even when I find out more information? Life doesn't happen all at one fixed point in time, if I were to review the K20d today it would suck compared to the competition today. But the week after it came out, it was great. Also, these cameras are not film cameras. It takes a while to get to any kind of an understanding exactly or even basically what they can do... which is the main problem that the K-3 is suffering from right now. Great camera/steep learning curve. It's only going to get worse as the cameras get more complex with higher quality output.
I'm not saying you should change anything (well, except maybe for the number of times you say "okay" and go into tangents, but I guess you know this by now). In fact I like that it's always subject to change, because you just say what you think and that it may be helpful to others. And if it isn't, you're ok with that too. There's no absolute truths, just opinions of an experienced photographer.
12-03-2013, 01:01 AM   #40
Site Supporter

Original Poster

Ed,

Here are the K-3 capsule reviews I need:

Tamron 70-200, The FA "trio", 15/21 duo(will you upgrade to the HD versions?)and a Metz 58 Pt 2.

Last edited by tabl10s; 12-03-2013 at 01:08 AM.
12-03-2013, 10:53 AM   #41
Site Supporter

This was my favourite part of the first review and a poke at those wringing their hands over the Ricoh labelling on the back screen. If it's a great camera and accepts my Pentax lenses they can put a Fisher Price logo on the front for all I care.
12-03-2013, 09:34 PM   #42
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Episode 4:

12-03-2013, 09:51 PM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
Ed,

Here are the K-3 capsule reviews I need:

Tamron 70-200, The FA "trio", 15/21 duo(will you upgrade to the HD versions?)and a Metz 58 Pt 2.
Are you saying to review the lenses in terms of how they function on the K-3?

And what would you like to see in a Metz 58 part 2? How it works on the K-3?

And thanks, always looking for ideas for videos!

Edward
12-03-2013, 09:53 PM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
I'm not saying you should change anything (well, except maybe for the number of times you say "okay" and go into tangents, but I guess you know this by now). In fact I like that it's always subject to change, because you just say what you think and that it may be helpful to others. And if it isn't, you're ok with that too. There's no absolute truths, just opinions of an experienced photographer.
Gosh, there is a lot I'd like to change, doing these things gives me a real appreciation for people that really make movies. But I guess it would be a lot easier if someone else wrote what I have to say and also ran the camera!
12-03-2013, 09:54 PM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by G_Money Quote

This was my favourite part of the first review and a poke at those wringing their hands over the Ricoh labelling on the back screen. If it's a great camera and accepts my Pentax lenses they can put a Fisher Price logo on the front for all I care.

LOL! Nice Photoshop!