Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2013, 09:58 PM   #46
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by marquis1955 Quote
How do you suppose the older Pentax glass would show, low ISO and high resolution ? I also think the lens question is Very Valid although I now also think we have at least for the time being peaked at the 16 to 18 megapixel range, with current ISO technology. I do know that glass made a difference when I added to K5iiS to my bag. To me it is a ton of fun and I love my Pentax gear and I can hardly wait to get my hands on a K3 !!,Bob
I've started testing the low light high iso stuff for myself, and I can tell you this right now: The white balance on the K-3 seems to make a bigger difference than any increase (if it exists) in noise over the k-5iis. I much prefer the low light high iso shots form the K-3 so far. Just sayin'

And I think the older Pentax glass will do fine. Those were some great lenses!

12-04-2013, 12:13 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
Are you saying to review the lenses in terms of how they function on the K-3?

And what would you like to see in a Metz 58 part 2? How it works on the K-3?

And thanks, always looking for ideas for videos!

Edward
Yes to both. Its a lot easier to get you here than on YouTube.

Howard.
12-04-2013, 12:41 AM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ed, very nice video.

And I want to ask you a specific question. I know you use a Tamron 70-200/2.8. I also have one, the old nonstabilised version. On my K-5, it makes me some trouble. Loose focus some time, especially when I shoot birds in flight, or aircrafts, also hunts many times, and some times even locks on outside of focus. And this things does not happens with my Sigma 70-200/2.8 II. But Tamron is sharper, a little, and can be used with TC in AF mode.

So, it will be very helpful to tell me how the focus work with K-3 and Tamron, because until now, I don't know which lens to keep, and which to sell, and I want to buy a K-3, when it will arrive in my country.

Thanks.
12-04-2013, 04:41 AM   #49

Thanks Ed! Great to see you back in full force. Please don't script, I love hearing your conversational ramblings!

12-04-2013, 06:15 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Glad to see you back Ed! We need your presence on Youtube! My K3 should be here by Friday now I need to upgrade one of my lenses for group events and I'll be set.
12-04-2013, 07:43 AM   #51
Site Supporter

Just throwing this out there to see what I can learn, does anyone know of a software program that will work for tethering with our K5's I know LR5 supports, Canon, Nikon, Leica ?
12-04-2013, 08:54 AM   #52
Pentaxian

PK_Tether | Tethering and remote control software for Pentax DSLR cameras
12-04-2013, 10:05 AM   #53
Site Supporter

Thanks much for the link have you tried the software and come up against any bugs ?

12-04-2013, 03:02 PM   #54
Pentaxian

I tried it, and I didn't find any bugs. But be careful not to switch the camera to LV when is connected to computer. But the problem is that you can't see the picture before you took it. That way I recently bought a 7'' HDMI monitor with focus peaking. And now I can check the focus even to 1/1 pixels, when I use manual lenses, or my telescopes. But I have to control the camera from his buttons. So, no remote.
12-06-2013, 05:22 PM   #55
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Episode 6

12-06-2013, 05:24 PM   #56
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Episode 6

12-06-2013, 05:43 PM   #57
Pentaxian

I wonder why Ed doesn't post his videos here?
12-06-2013, 06:14 PM   #58

I've been a professional photographer for a long time and unlike Ed I shoot mainly hand held. I've come to accept a certain number shaky frames. Some, like Ed's barn, are mysterious but many are not. Two culprits for me are caffeine and cold often when coupled with any lens with "tele" in its name. A long time ago a photo writer called Rothschild claimed hand holding could only be done with near 100 per cent success at three times the focal length if all other conditions were favorable. Ed's barn test certainly met the minimum requirements of Rothschild's shutter speed criterion. But then why the small but persistent differencea between sharpness delivered by the two bodies? It is my feeling that the answer to the blurry barn phenomenon, if one is ever found, is going to lie in something simple rather than complex, something that will produce a palm to the forehead reaction rather than an intellectually befuddled stare. Once I did a shoot on a remote Greek island and when I got back to Athens and developed the film only to find it blank. I swore and worried loudly over my Leica when my non-photographic wife asked about the lens cap. That's why I bought my first Pentax SLR. Because sometimes the problems are simple and the solutions even simpler.
12-06-2013, 08:49 PM   #59
Site Supporter

Personally I feel that we should expect a learning curve and a bug or two to be worked out I certainly have hope there is a simple solution to advance of technology in the realm of 16-18 megapixels on non Full Frame sensor. I believe we are pretty darn close at least for now until the Blu Ray equivalent (if you will) both processor wise and sensor wise is perfected. ?
12-07-2013, 12:06 AM   #60

K3 learning curve

Along side Pentax gear I shoot Sony Nex and RX1. And I don't recall undergoing any learning curve when scaling up to the Nex7 (24mp) from the 5n (16mp) other than practicing good, ordinary shooting hygiene such as maintaining reasonable shutter speeds and paying attention to DOF in order to retain the appearance of good focus. The front end physics of picture taking (shutter and aperture) really hasn't changed appreciably in the last century. The most significant practical changes have been AF and IS. While the back end, emulsions and sensors, have changed enormously, it is only the front end that effects how photographers hold their cameras because the back end physics intentionally mimic traditional photography.