Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
12-07-2013, 02:18 AM   #61
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
If it turns out RAWs are sharp but JPEGs are not, then it's obvious what the culprit is: has to be the JPEG engine. But we'll see...

12-07-2013, 05:32 AM   #62
Pentaxian

That would be easy to find out: just shoot RAW+JPEG for a while; if the first is sharp but the latter isn't...
But I doubt JPEGs won't be fine, eventually after tweaking the settings a little bit.

One could also shoot RAW and use the in-camera development options to see what works and what doesn't, regarding JPEG conversion.
12-07-2013, 11:23 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I spend half an hour on Ed...................Where can I get my money for that time?
I agree. A complete waste of time.

Rob
12-07-2013, 12:19 PM   #64

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Jpeg on the left raw on the right What do you think? I had a Toshiba flash car as a jpeg backup No EDITS

12-07-2013, 03:07 PM   #65
Unregistered User

I for one like to see more of Ed.
12-07-2013, 03:07 PM   #66
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
QuoteOriginally posted by aaalegre Quote
Jpeg on the left raw on the right What do you think? I had a Toshiba flash car as a jpeg backup No EDITS
Err... are these 100% crops?
12-07-2013, 03:20 PM   #67

QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
Err... are these 100% crops?
no crop out of camera

12-07-2013, 09:10 PM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aaalegre Quote
Do you actually expect anyone to be able to judge IQ on the basis of small web jpegs? Please be realistic. You have to give us more than that.

Rob
12-08-2013, 12:23 AM - 2 Likes   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Luschnig Quote
I've been a professional photographer for a long time and unlike Ed I shoot mainly hand held. I've come to accept a certain number shaky frames. Some, like Ed's barn, are mysterious but many are not. Two culprits for me are caffeine and cold often when coupled with any lens with "tele" in its name. A long time ago a photo writer called Rothschild claimed hand holding could only be done with near 100 per cent success at three times the focal length if all other conditions were favorable. Ed's barn test certainly met the minimum requirements of Rothschild's shutter speed criterion. But then why the small but persistent differencea between sharpness delivered by the two bodies? It is my feeling that the answer to the blurry barn phenomenon, if one is ever found, is going to lie in something simple rather than complex, something that will produce a palm to the forehead reaction rather than an intellectually befuddled stare. Once I did a shoot on a remote Greek island and when I got back to Athens and developed the film only to find it blank. I swore and worried loudly over my Leica when my non-photographic wife asked about the lens cap. That's why I bought my first Pentax SLR. Because sometimes the problems are simple and the solutions even simpler.
Now that is a professional comment!

And guess what, exactly right. The Sony sensor in the K-3 is the same one as in the A77 and the A77 was a noise monster with a very aggressive High ISO noise reduction. The K-3 High ISO Noise reduction is very aggressive as well and this is much different than the traditional conservative approach Pentax-before-Ricoh took. The default setting is High ISO Noise reduction set to Auto, and in flat light at ISO's as low as 400 it will BLOW your image sharpness to bits. Turn OFF AUTO high iso noise reduction and everything is tack sharp if you get all the other parts right. PROBLEM SOLVED. The K-3 is AWESOME. And I don't think the K-3 is a noise monster like the A77 either, so maybe Pentax/Ricoh did better than Sony on that front. but the Hi ISO Noise reduction is something to control for sure.
12-08-2013, 01:13 AM   #70
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
Now that is a professional comment!

And guess what, exactly right. The Sony sensor in the K-3 is the same one as in the A77 .
based on..? That sensor is at least 2 years old. According to the A77 specs: ISO 100 - 16,000 (25,600 with multi-image combination. Expands down to ISO 50). With the K3 its very different.
12-08-2013, 05:04 AM   #71

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
Do you actually expect anyone to be able to judge IQ on the basis of small web jpegs? Please be realistic. You have to give us more than that.

Rob
Try this link
http://www.aalegre.com/Other/K-3/n-kNgff
12-08-2013, 09:27 AM   #72
Veteran Member

I made a comparison using DPReview ''Image comparison tool''. Going from Sony A7, you can set to see Pentax K-3, Canon 5D M3, Nikon D610, and Sony a7, both in RAW or JPEG, in low light, or daylight simulation. My conclusion:

1. There is a problem with the JPEG engine on K-3. In RAW, K-3 is neck to neck with Nikon D610, and very close to the other 2 cameras.

2. In low light, the difference between K-3 and the other cameras is bigger, which is somehow normal, for an APS-C, facing FF.

PS. I'm still waiting for K-3....

Last edited by JimmyDranox; 12-08-2013 at 09:33 AM.
12-08-2013, 08:09 PM   #73

Photo Cat

Even if Ed doesn't visit PF, I made my choice to switch to Pentax based somewhat on his reviews. Loving the K-3 and I am not finding the sharpness issues noted except when I use my lenses that I know have CA and sharpness issues (unless I screw up, of course). Slap the Pentax-M 50 1.7 on the front and there are no distortion, CA, or sharpness issues in ANY condition. I am sure the same could be said for any of the other high quality lenses.

Plus, I want to see more of Photo Cat 1 & 2!! Please keep the reviews coming, Ed!!
12-08-2013, 09:07 PM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Knotmetoo Quote
Even if Ed doesn't visit PF
Ed = Qwntm
12-08-2013, 10:27 PM   #75

Photos: Gallery
I appreciate your videos Ed. I've been on the fence; trying to decide whether to take the leap to the K3, take advantage of the low price on a K5iis or just stay with my trusty K5 for another year or so. Still undecided :-)
On a side note, I had the exact same issue when I got my 50-135. The hood was cracked in the same way but I didn't want to let go of the lens. I didn't think to call Pentax(I think you made the more proper choice). I called B&H. And they said yes!:-) I sent back the damaged hood and they replaced it. Great store.