Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2013, 12:41 AM   #76
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
QuoteOriginally posted by sundr Quote
I appreciate your videos Ed. I've been on the fence; trying to decide whether to take the leap to the K3, take advantage of the low price on a K5iis or just stay with my trusty K5 for another year or so. Still undecided :-)
On a side note, I had the exact same issue when I got my 50-135. The hood was cracked in the same way but I didn't want to let go of the lens. I didn't think to call Pentax(I think you made the more proper choice). I called B&H. And they said yes!:-) I sent back the damaged hood and they replaced it. Great store.
Well, it's great service from Pentax, but IMHO, you should only have to deal with the store. You purchased the lens there, not from Pentax directly. So if anything's wrong with the purchase, they should help you out.

But if it's all sorted now, that's the most important thing.

12-09-2013, 01:05 AM   #77
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Franc Quote
based on..? That sensor is at least 2 years old. According to the A77 specs: ISO 100 - 16,000 (25,600 with multi-image combination. Expands down to ISO 50). With the K3 its very different.
Personal experience obviously. It's how you tell every issue appart. Pentax could not afford the new sensor, so they got the old noisy one. Let's ignore the fact that Nikon are using a new Sony sensor in the d5300.
12-09-2013, 02:40 AM   #78
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
Now that is a professional comment!

And guess what, exactly right. The Sony sensor in the K-3 is the same one as in the A77 and the A77 was a noise monster with a very aggressive High ISO noise reduction. The K-3 High ISO Noise reduction is very aggressive as well and this is much different than the traditional conservative approach Pentax-before-Ricoh took. The default setting is High ISO Noise reduction set to Auto, and in flat light at ISO's as low as 400 it will BLOW your image sharpness to bits. Turn OFF AUTO high iso noise reduction and everything is tack sharp if you get all the other parts right. PROBLEM SOLVED. The K-3 is AWESOME. And I don't think the K-3 is a noise monster like the A77 either, so maybe Pentax/Ricoh did better than Sony on that front. but the Hi ISO Noise reduction is something to control for sure.
You are right on many levels, but the K-3 sensor is indeed a new variant of the old 24MP sensor. So not an old A77 sensor, but a new one.
How a company treats noise, however, is another thing. Sony, Nikon and now Ricoh Imaging, seem to apply strong NR with 24 MP sensors on default settings. It may be the current limitation of the higher pixel density technology and their (marketing) desire to appeal — with out of camera JPEGs — for most common uses under most usual circumstances.

Not to forget that most kits sold with a K-3 camera, or a D7100 or an A77, aren't exactly containing most magnificent of lenses. In fact, they are just kit lenses, and mediocre walkaround superzooms.

I suspect that if a K-3 were to be sold with an 20-40mm lens exclusively, or with a HDA35/2.8 Ltd, the default settings on K-3 would be quite different indeed!

We should discern what is wrapping and what is the gift when buying a camera today. Wrapping may impress many to buy into the gift and keep the wrapping, but those who really know what they are buying, throw the wrapping away.

Default camera settings are nothing but a wrapping.

Last edited by Uluru; 12-09-2013 at 02:57 AM.
12-09-2013, 02:45 AM - 1 Like   #79
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Steelski Quote
Personal experience obviously. It's how you tell every issue appart. Pentax could not afford the new sensor, so they got the old noisy one. Let's ignore the fact that Nikon are using a new Sony sensor in the d5300.
Ricoh Imaging employs a new 24 MP sensor inside the K-3. It would be good, once and for all, to put an end to this story.

12-09-2013, 06:29 AM   #80
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Ricoh Imaging employs a new 24 MP sensor inside the K-3. It would be good, once and for all, to put an end to this story.
That is good news. Do you have more details on the new sensor? What is the source for the information? I assume you are correct but I am curious to know more if there is more to be known. Thanks!
12-09-2013, 06:46 AM   #81
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I really like Ed and he looks like my Dad did when he was younger.
12-09-2013, 08:31 AM   #82

Would be interesting to hear from Ed with another video as to how his Tamron glass is holding up on the 24mp sensor. I think it should do pretty well.
Was surprised he didn't seem that excited about the Pentax 50-135mm f2.8

But then I checked the UK price on cameraprice buster and you are blowing out £999 for that lens, gone up quite a lot where I am. I can almost (not quite) buy 2 Tamron 70-200mm f2.8's for that!

12-09-2013, 08:46 AM   #83
Unregistered User

I have the Tamron 17-50, 90, and 70-200 with the K-3. Used to have a K-5. The K-3 is, as expected, sharper and faster to focus.
10-01-2015, 11:20 AM   #84

That's true: he can't without Pentax (and specially K-3II)
10-01-2015, 07:52 PM - 1 Like   #85
Veteran Member

Wait until you see my next Video about "Pixel Shift."
07-19-2016, 12:19 AM   #86

Mr Thomas probably switch already to FUJI. He said that He have still the Pentax gear... No video for a long time...
07-30-2016, 12:11 AM   #87
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vigerus Quote
Mr Thomas probably switch already to FUJI. He said that He have still the Pentax gear... No video for a long time...

I only make a video when I have something that I want to say and think might be beneficial to somebody somewhere. Anyone who has followed my video journey knows that I have basically 2 professional requirements of my camera systems: 1.) Landscapes, which require the making and selling of up to 30x40 inch prints and panoramas, and 2.) Weddings, which don't tax any of the major systems too much these days.

So far the Fuji's have been great for weddings and not so great for landscapes. The XTrans sensors have issues when enlarging far away fine details in landscapes to 30x40. The "watercolor" effect is really a bad interpolation of data that makes fine details look like "little worms." All the major guys I have been using as examples of "great" Fuji work don't shoot "big landscapes." I am not sure if I could make it work or not, but I do know I don't want to waste a lot of time trying to find out if it does or not.

So that leaves me with Pentax for both pursuits. And there is no doubt in my mind that the K3 and K3II is more than capable of delivering the results I need for both of my requirements. We shot a wedding 2 weeks ago 100% Pentax and it was great.

BUT, lenses come in 4 major categories: bad, good, excellent and LEGENDARY. I have shot LEGENDARY glass. In 2008 I was shooting Nikon's 14-24, 24-70 and 70-200 2.8 VR II. I have also shot Canon's 24-70 and 70-200 2.8 L II.

(Note, Canon never really had any LEGENDARY wide zooms until recently. The 11-24 and new 16-35 F4 L IS are LEGENDARY quality optics.)

For my landscape work, I have always struggled to find a Pentax APS-c wide lens that is of LEGENDARY quality. Some are excellent, but not LEGENDARY. Tony Northrop made a video in the last few days where he said Pentax's biggest mistake was making the K1 instead of focusing on the APS-c lens line and cameras. I feel the same way. I would have much preferred some LEGENDARY quality Pentax glass for APS-C instead of the K1. (Hey this is about what I would have wanted. ) Now Pentax has a LEGENDARY FF camera with no glass for it, yet.

The 15-30mm Tamron doesn't take filters. The 70-200 2.8 Tamron isn't smaller and lighter like the F4 Canons. The 24-70 Tamron I have no use for. So how fast can Ricoh come up with some LEGENDARY F4 Lenses for their K1? Why bother when B&H can have the Canon lenses at my door in a day?

At the end of the day, a camera bag with a 6D, 16-35mm F4L IS, 50mm 1.4, and 70-200 F4L IS, is going to be almost as light as a K3II with 12-24, 35 LTD, and 50-135mm, and much much lighter than the same bag with a K1, 15-30 (that doesn't take filters) 50mm, and 70-200mm 2.8 Tamron.

So there's a video here somewhere, but what has been holding me back is the desire to not have it sound like I'm saying Pentax is "no good." What I want to say is that Ricoh made a marketing decision to pursue full frame, when what attracted me to the system was their commitment to APS-c. Ricoh has now split their attentions, and made it less likely to give me what I want, (I want, not what EVERYBODY SHOULD WANT,) and I am reevaluating my options...

If Fuji had traditional Bayer sensors, it would be game over. If Ricoh concentrated on a full lens set for APS-c, game over. If the K1 gets anything resembling the 16-35mm F4L IS, game over. I could make any of those scenarios work. Or just order a 6D and 3 Canon lenses and I'm done... (for now. for landscapes. )

Last edited by Qwntm; 07-30-2016 at 12:21 AM.
07-30-2016, 01:44 AM   #88
Unregistered User

Well, the 15-30 does not take screw on filters but with a holder it takes filters...

https://www.google.se/search?q=LEE+SW150+MK+II&oq=LEE+SW150+MK+II&aqs=chrome...hrome&ie=UTF-8
07-30-2016, 04:59 AM   #89

Good opinion... Maybe wide Samyang is a solution. Manual focus could be faster than AF.

Last edited by Vigerus; 07-30-2016 at 05:20 AM.
07-30-2016, 05:12 AM   #90
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
I only make a video when...
Thanks Ed. I just ran up a $7500 wish list while reading your post.