Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2013, 06:04 AM - 1 Like   #1
New Member




Join Date: Nov 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 24
Raw-converter test

Hi folk
I change from Nikon D800 to K-3 with DA* 16-50/f2.8 and I am very pleased. I shoot only raw! In the menu I take DNG!!

Now I made a test, with 3 Raw-Converter I general use. RPP (raw photoprocess 64), Adobe Camera Raw and Digital Camera Utility 5 from Pentax.

Have a look on the hardcopy of the image taken from Photoshop CS6. I only opened the file in CS6.

From the left to the right: AdobeCameraRaw, Digital Camera Utility 5, RPP!

I am little bit surprised about the different result:
Camera Raw works fine, but it lost much details!!!
Digital Camera Utilitiy 5 is very good. This program surprised me completely and give a usefull posibility to develop the dng-file for maximum.
RPP is my favorite program! I used it for the D800 and give outstanding details!

What is your experience with Pentax Raw-file?

I am very glad that I made the change to Pentax K-3!

Jean Pierre

Attached Images
 
11-29-2013, 07:09 AM   #2
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Florida
Photos: Albums
Posts: 235
I don't see the lost detail in ACR. Can you point it out?

Thanks,

Bill
11-29-2013, 07:30 AM   #3
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hoek van Holland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,252
I also cannot see the which detail is lost. Also I do not see what this test is about. If you just opened the images in the converters, you haven't done anything yet. So it says nothing of the output of the converters.
11-29-2013, 07:33 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Mikesul's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 2,656
QuoteOriginally posted by Snydly Quote
I don't see the lost detail in ACR. Can you point it out?

Thanks,

Bill
There is a subtle pattern in the fabric which is fairly clear in the middle picture but hardly visible in ACR. I have also been impressed with the quality for DCU5 but I hate the speed of the program. I intend to explore it more because several files have come through much better for me with DCU5. It may just be a matter of contrast or other adjustments being at different levels in the various programs. The only real test would be to process a couple of pictures yourself with different converters to see if you can duplicate the results. I appreciate the OP putting this up for our consideration.

11-29-2013, 08:06 AM   #5
New Member




Join Date: Nov 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 24
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
There is a subtle pattern in the fabric which is fairly clear in the middle picture but hardly visible in ACR. I have also been impressed with the quality for DCU5 but I hate the speed of the program. I intend to explore it more because several files have come through much better for me with DCU5. It may just be a matter of contrast or other adjustments being at different levels in the various programs. The only real test would be to process a couple of pictures yourself with different converters to see if you can duplicate the results. I appreciate the OP putting this up for our consideration.
Hi Mike
Many thanks for your confirmation. It is a pitty that I can only upload the file with 900 KB. So, you cannot see the difference clearly.
I want to try more with DCU5! Silkypix Developer Studio Pro5 is not so good, as DCU5!
A big advantage of DCU5 is to have all menu items of the K-3! So, I can change afterwords the settings! Great indeed!
RPP give a very good details, but I have to finished the development in Adobe Camera Raw.
11-29-2013, 08:15 AM   #6
New Member




Join Date: Nov 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 24
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Snydly Quote
I don't see the lost detail in ACR. Can you point it out?

Thanks,

Bill
Hi Bill
In the middle of the white cloth, you can clearly see that the pattern is not visible or the cross woving is not visible. White fabric is very good for testing, how good a raw converter works. Adobe Camera Raw works good, but not best! With Camera Raw you will loose quite a lot of details and it is not, because the lenses is not so good! Now, first test it with different RawConverter.
I can confirm, Digital Camera Utility 5 (CD in the package of K-3) is very very good!
If you not need to have details, then go further with CameraRaw.
11-29-2013, 08:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Boston, PRofMA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,053
QuoteOriginally posted by jeanpierre Quote
It is a pitty that I can only upload the file with 900 KB. So, you cannot see the difference clearly.
You can upload it to Dropbox and then get a link to the file that can be shared with us so we can look at the original.

I'm not sure why Pentaxforums limits images to such a small size either...disk is so cheap nowadays
11-29-2013, 08:42 AM   #8
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,257
Hello Jean-Pierre.

Could you please tell whether you found Digital Camera Utilitiy 5 as slow as some people were mentioning somewhere on this forum?
I don't have RPP but I do have CS5 (and Camera RAW) and when I open DNG files for my K5, I prefer using PDCU (now called RDCU 5 for the K3 I believe).

Just curious to find out if you have any "speed problems" when using the Ricoh/Pentax DCU for your K3.

Thanks.

JP

11-29-2013, 09:41 AM   #9
New Member




Join Date: Nov 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 24
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Hello Jean-Pierre.

Could you please tell whether you found Digital Camera Utilitiy 5 as slow as some people were mentioning somewhere on this forum?
I don't have RPP but I do have CS5 (and Camera RAW) and when I open DNG files for my K5, I prefer using PDCU (now called RDCU 5 for the K3 I believe).

Just curious to find out if you have any "speed problems" when using the Ricoh/Pentax DCU for your K3.

Thanks.

JP
Hello JP
Well, I work with Apple mini Mac OX 10.7.5 with 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 with 16GB 1333MHz DDR3.
I cannot say DCU5 works slow. Certainly, it is not so fast as Lightroom or CS6, but it works well.
11-29-2013, 09:50 AM   #10
New Member




Join Date: Nov 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 24
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
You can upload it to Dropbox and then get a link to the file that can be shared with us so we can look at the original.

I'm not sure why Pentaxforums limits images to such a small size either...disk is so cheap nowadays
Here the link to dropbox for the bigger file: https://www.dropbox.com/sc/xvvpm842ttz4ldy/mmmx2Q6RrC
11-29-2013, 01:44 PM   #11
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Far North Qld
Posts: 3,294
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
I'm not sure why Pentaxforums limits images to such a small size either...disk is so cheap nowadays
Bandwidth isn't.
11-29-2013, 02:44 PM   #12
Veteran Member
demp10's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Atlanta
Photos: Albums
Posts: 602
Did you use the default parameters on each converter? If yes, then try to adjust them to get the best possible image and then compare the results.


The image on the left is clearly brighter that the others. If you try and adjust the highlights on the first, I am sure you will be able to see much more detail.
11-29-2013, 05:44 PM   #13
Pentaxian
Miguel's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Near Seattle
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,726
This exhibition will be more interesting after ACR (and Lightroom) is updated to include K-3 profile-specifics. Since you have a Mac you might consider including Iridient Develper (formerly RAW Developer). The latest version has been updated for the K-3. While I'm a long-time Lightroom user, Iridient seems to do a better job on the few more challenging images for me. Some consider it the best Raw development application out there.

M
11-29-2013, 07:42 PM   #14
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Florida
Photos: Albums
Posts: 235
QuoteOriginally posted by jeanpierre Quote
Hi Bill
In the middle of the white cloth, you can clearly see that the pattern is not visible or the cross woving is not visible. White fabric is very good for testing, how good a raw converter works. Adobe Camera Raw works good, but not best! With Camera Raw you will loose quite a lot of details and it is not, because the lenses is not so good! Now, first test it with different RawConverter.
I can confirm, Digital Camera Utility 5 (CD in the package of K-3) is very very good!
If you not need to have details, then go further with CameraRaw.
You know with the lack of support from ACR for the k3 I've seen others using the supplied SW and having a positive experience so I think I will give that a try.
Thanks
Bill
11-30-2013, 04:32 AM   #15
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 16,243
I am really hopeful that Adobe will release an update for ACR that supports the K3. You can still edit DNGs in it, but I feel like the program needs a lot more "guidance" to get good results than it does with a camera that is truly supported, like a K5 or D800.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, change, cs6, dslr, k-3, k3, pentax, pentax k-3, program, rpp, test, utility
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax K30 wins raw test in German magazine Lars A Gronningsater Visitors' Center 2 03-03-2013 01:20 AM
Raw Processing - Best RAW Converter? interested_observer Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 5 10-15-2011 02:32 PM
Does the Photoshop RAW converter work with Pentax RAW Files? mconder Pentax DSLR Discussion 3 05-15-2008 12:14 PM
What RAW Converter? kpfeifle Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 9 01-30-2008 06:37 PM
Raw Therapee: free RAW converter/photo editor wheelgate Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 10 10-12-2007 06:44 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:35 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top