Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2013, 04:18 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yes, HDR is the same idea although with the end result of compressing the dynamic range and possible tonemapping. The averaging mode of the multiple exposure function can take many more exposures than the five allowed with HDR, though, and would result in that much less noise in the raw image before beginning pp.

Jack

11-29-2013, 05:47 PM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mgomez Quote
Thank you everyone for your feedback, it's very appreciated! The only thing I don't get is, what makes a camera demanding as in the case of the k-3. On this site or on any other, it seems like no one can give a good explanation of this. This is starting to make me think that people that own the k-3 are not 100% happy with their purchase but instead trying to convince that they made a good purchase.
I don't know that the K3 is much more demanding than a K5. If you take photos in the same way as with the K5, you will likely get similar to slightly better results. However to truly take advantage of the higher resolution, you do need to make sure that use good quality glass and shoot from a stable platform. Perhaps that goes without saying, but the more pixel dense the sensor, the harder it is to get truly pixel sharp photos.

I do see improvements in the sensor, but they certainly aren't at the level that experienced going from a K7 to a K5. That was night and day. On the other hand, there are a lot of non-sensor improvements that make shooting more enjoyable. They just aren't necessarily things that are terribly important for landscape photography.
11-29-2013, 05:50 PM   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
A question for landscape shooters that has nagged at me for a while: in a static shot with no wind where nothing is moving, why not use the averaging mode of the multiple exposure function of the recent K series cameras? This enables you to effectively get rid of all noise no matter which sensor is being used. I am assuming that the camera would be on a tripod, of course.

Jack
It just isn't necessary. There just isn't that much noise at iso 100 and it is awfully easy to do a quick pass through Topaz or Nik Define, or whatever you need. To me the averaging mode is more useful if you are shooting at iso 3200 or 6400...
11-29-2013, 06:13 PM   #19
Site Supporter

I thought that may be the case, Vincent, but wanted to ask the landscapers. It will be interesting to see if the new HD series of lenses brings anything to the table for you.

Jack