Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2013, 06:34 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-3 and wireless flash trigger?

Hi.

My wireless flash trigger works om my K-5, but not on my K-3.... i tried all? possible flash settings in the camera, but it just won't work.

Does anyone know how to do wireless flash trigger in the hotshoe of K-3?

My workaround now is to use the K-3 pop-up flash in manual mode 1/32 and thus trigger my studio flashes.

/zantaphia

11-29-2013, 07:24 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zantaphia Quote
My wireless flash trigger
What brand and model is it?
11-29-2013, 07:28 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
What brand and model is it?
It's a Cononmark 3G.
11-29-2013, 08:10 PM   #4
Site Supporter

My Cactus v5 works just like on the K-5.

Try it in x-sync mode to test. I did notice the K-3 hot shoe was little tight and I had to push a little harder to get the trigger seated all the way forward.

11-29-2013, 08:18 PM   #5
Forum Member

Did you set the mode dial to X?

Can you connect a PC cable between camera and trigger?
11-29-2013, 09:02 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Hi.

My wireless flash trigger works om my K-5, but not on my K-3.... i tried all? possible flash settings in the camera, but it just won't work.

Does anyone know how to do wireless flash trigger in the hotshoe of K-3?

My workaround now is to use the K-3 pop-up flash in manual mode 1/32 and thus trigger my studio flashes.

/zantaphia
The K-3 has a master and controller mode for wireless trigger using the pop up flash. Not sure if that is what you want.
11-30-2013, 12:15 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks!

I slap my forehead.
Note to myself: Shutter time 1/200 s doesn't work for this flash setup. 1/160 s worked fine. :-)
11-30-2013, 12:22 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Thanks!

I slap my forehead.
Note to myself: Shutter time 1/200 s doesn't work for this flash setup. 1/160 s worked fine. :-)
Depending on whether you specify 1/3 ev steps or 1/2 ev steps, you can also dial in 1/180 and it will work fine also.

Last summer i was shooting a portrait with flash, and couldn't get it to work, until i figured out i was over 1/180s - just like you. Sony has a better system for their nex, it doesn't let you dial in anything over the sync speed, thus avoiding a bunch of confusion.

11-30-2013, 08:36 AM   #9
Veteran Member

You'd think Pentax would have let us shoot over the 1/180 limit by now :-P
They just need an option in the menu to enable this and when it's enabled, it'll warn you that it might cause black bars over 1/180...I don't understand why this is so hard to do??? :-P
11-30-2013, 09:30 AM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
You'd think Pentax would have let us shoot over the 1/180 limit by now :-P
They just need an option in the menu to enable this and when it's enabled, it'll warn you that it might cause black bars over 1/180...I don't understand why this is so hard to do??? :-P

Offer P-ttl code to pw and china trigger company...
12-01-2013, 06:37 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mactrash Quote
Offer P-ttl code to pw and china trigger company...
Actually, I'm not talking about pTTL.
The strobe "fire" signal in x-sync should not be disabled just because it's over 1/180...look at Canikon to see how they don't disable this and Olympus doesn't either.
12-02-2013, 10:23 AM   #12
Forum Member

Actually, I'm not talking about pTTL.
The strobe "fire" signal in x-sync should not be disabled just because it's over 1/180...look at Canikon to see how they don't disable this and Olympus doesn't either.
I know what you mean... I use OM fire studio flash in 1/500 etc.
12-02-2013, 12:03 PM   #13
Site Supporter

it'll warn you that it might cause black bars over 1/180
I went through a number of usage scenarios in my head and could only come up with a couple where a flash exposure for only a partial slit of the frame would be desirable. I know the case for high sync speed, but just allowing the flash to fire to sync with a focal plane shutter at all speeds does not satisfy those.

Can you enlighten me?

Steve

(With TTL or PTTL with the flash being controlled by the camera, it is possible to do multiple bursts per exposure to allow for higher sync. I don't believe that is the case here.)
12-02-2013, 03:35 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I went through a number of usage scenarios in my head and could only come up with a couple where a flash exposure for only a partial slit of the frame would be desirable.
The only use case is outdoors in daylight when you want to lower the ambient so your speedlight is more useful...it's a workaround to avoid the requirement to use pTTL.

Read these two articles:
Strobist: Hacking Your Camera's Sync Speed, Pt 1
Strobist: Hacking Your Camera's Sync Speed, Pt. 2

I can understand Pentax wanting to avoid the user complaints of "hey, my frame has a dark band...my camera must be broken", but don't understand why it can't be a menu option for those of us who want to use this workaround when you can do it in competitor's systems
12-02-2013, 05:10 PM   #15
Site Supporter

don't understand why it can't be a menu option for those of us who want to use this workaround when you can do it in competitor's systems
Not that it is something I would use, but I agree. They have a menu item to enable using the aperture ring on legacy lenses. I'm guessing the number of people using that would not be hugely different than those looking for faster flash sync.