Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2013, 01:28 AM   #1
Forum Member

Strange alternating JPEG saving anomaly on K-3

This evening and I decided to test out the K-3's ability to shoot continuously. I had both SD card slots occupied. SD1 was using a SanDisk 32GB SDHC Extreme Class 10 UHS-1 80MB/s and SD2 slot was using a Lexar 32GB SDHC Memory Card Platinum II Class 10 UHS-I. The camera was set to SV on the dial and focus was set to AFC SEL 1, and ISO set at 5000. The lens that I was using was the Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 XS.

The card setting was set up so that both cards would save to JPEG. So after shooting continuously for several hundred shots, the images actually started saving the images in alternating order. So all the even numbered images saved on to SD1 and the odd numbered images started saving to SD2. Has anyone else noticed this happen with their K-3?

12-01-2013, 01:36 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by turbosaturn Quote
The card setting was set up so that both cards would save to JPEG.
Seems a bit strange, but no real problem. You lost no data.
To be clear, you had the memory card setting as 'Save To Both'?

Does the same thing happen if you use identical brand and model cards?
12-01-2013, 02:43 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Not so strange if you think about it. Once the image buffer starts to fill up the images have to be written out to the memory cards. The bottleneck is going to be the write speed of the cards so it makes more sense to write to both cards simultaneously rather then to fill the cards in sequence. Since the images are in the buffer sequentially grabbing two at a time they are going to be odd and even numbered. I'm willing to be that what card the numbers end up on depends on which is first in the image buffer so at times card one will be odd numbered and at others even numbered.

What order do they appear on the LCD display? Do you have to chose which card you want to review or does it sort both cards together by folder and image number?
12-01-2013, 03:52 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yes the camera was set to "Save to Both". The image size was Large JPEG at 3 stars. I haven't done any more testing with similar brand/model cards since I don't have two identical cards of the same brand/model. The K-3 only let's you see the contents of one card at a time so the order that is displayed on the back of the camera is based on the order that they show up in each card. There is nothing in the manual or any other documentation that I have read that indicates that this is something that the camera does as a feature.