Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2013, 03:46 PM   #1

K-3 Review in Popular Photography magazine (Jan 2014 issue)

In the latest issue (Jan 2014) of Popular Photography magazine I received today, there is a review for Pentax K-3. They rated K-3 Excellent in image quality, resolution, and color accuracy; Extremely high in highlight/shadow details; and Very High in contrast. However, the noise level was rated unacceptable for ISO 3200 and higher. In their autofocus speed test, K-3 beats Nikon D7100 in brighter light (EV 12 - EV 4). They say K-3 represents the best shooting experience they've had yet from a Pentax DSLR.

BTW, there is also a review for Sony Alpha 7R in the same issue.

12-02-2013, 03:59 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Are they going by JOOC JPEGs to assess noise?

I could care less about that. I'd rather they take a RAW file, run it through a noise reduction software (pick one), and then compare the settings needed with what is needed for another camera to achieve the same results. That would be helpful info to me. If they want to consider JPEGs also, fine.
12-02-2013, 04:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The other problem is that some cameras apparently have NR even in the "raw" files, so comparing raw to raw is not neutral. And meh, I doubt its noise levels above ISO 3600 (where most people rarely venture) are actually bad. It just depends on the observer's tolerance. Some people find noise above ISO 200 too much But I don't know what actual methodology they used, don't have the issue here
12-02-2013, 05:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
They say K-3 represents the best shooting experience they've had yet from a Pentax DSLR.
Sounds like a back-handed compliment to me.
I haven't read PP Mag, but I've seen a lot of reviews from review sites and frankly I'm unimpressed by most of them. I don't know why these (pro) reviewers don't to a really thorough job. What about comparing the weight and weave of the supplied straps - the quality of lens caps and what about the wear-tolerances of the print on the control buttons and mode-dial? They really miss a helluva lot. All of these seemingly unnoticed details are very important and make a huge difference to the decision making of the buying public when researching what could possibly be wrong with a camera [when compared to another] before forking out tons of cash on a [cough] Pentax...

[tongue firmly in cheek]

12-02-2013, 06:09 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PP use the manufacturer's standard software (in this case SilkyPix) and standard settings for their noise tests. Pentax always tests lower than others in their scores because Pentax's base setting leave a lot of detail. For example Canon camera receive good scores on these tests but I would rather have a Sony sensor any day.

Dale
12-02-2013, 11:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
I don't know why these (pro) reviewers don't to a really thorough job. What about comparing the weight and weave of the supplied straps - the quality of lens caps and what about the wear-tolerances of the print on the control buttons and mode-dial?
I am glad they spend as much time as they do on image quality, speed, etc. The things like lens caps are pretty inconsequential for me, in terms of making images. As are the straps - I can replace them if I don't like them. In fact, I am disappointed when reviewers use kit lenses, because that is a limitation many people will not be experiencing.

As far as how the print on the buttons is concerned...how would they be able to judge it? They're not going to wear the print on the buttons out. The only other choice would be for them to make a guess, which would be at least as bad as not saying anything at all, in my opinion. They would just be accused of being biased.
12-02-2013, 11:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

And now I feel like a jerk because I missed the tongue in cheek part of the statement above.

12-02-2013, 11:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

12-03-2013, 04:13 AM   #9

Photos: Albums
Hehe. Well, a more thorough test of the shutter button would be cool. It's the one complaint I've on the K-30.
12-03-2013, 04:23 AM   #10
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
And now I feel like a jerk because I missed the tongue in cheek part of the statement above.
Better late than never.