Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2013, 11:20 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Problem memory cards

I bought it for my K3 two memory cards, Samsung 32GB Ultra High Speed ​​Plus. The camera says "error on the memory card",even after I formatted in the computer
The PC and the Nex 5r read the cards correctly.
Has anyone had the same problem? There is possibility to solve it?
The K3 reads well all the other cards in my possession (no Samsung)
Thank you.

12-02-2013, 11:23 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Blade Runner Quote
I bought it for my K3 two memory cards, Samsung 32GB Ultra High Speed ​​Plus. The camera says "error on the memory card",even after I formatted in the computer
Thank you.
Have you tried formatting the card in camera? The FS needs to be set to exFAT.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-03-2013, 02:12 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Have you tried formatting the card in camera? The FS needs to be set to exFAT.
Yes, I have tried to format in the camera, but K3 refuses! As soon I get home, I'll try with exFat. Thank you.
12-03-2013, 03:21 AM   #4
Forum Member

I have had several problems with Samsung, TDK and Transcend cards on several different kinds of equipment. My general advice for not getting in trouble is choose SanDisk or Lexar for memory cards.

12-03-2013, 03:30 AM   #5
Pentaxian

"Hiccups" with Samsung, Sony, Panasonic... so now I stick with Sandisk
Btw, I remember reading that older cameras (Pre-K-m) could format the SD card and "fix" it for newer cameras

Last edited by Na Horuk; 12-04-2013 at 03:31 PM.
12-03-2013, 03:53 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you cannot even format the card, chuck it.

But note that formatting is not going to erase the full card. It doesn't hit every bit. Its merely wipes the directory header.
So formatting is not going to give you any idea about the stability of the remaining bits on the card.

Additionally, full disk formatting an SD (like you can do from a computer) is not always the same as formatting a disk. You won't necessarily hit every sector (hardware), event though the format software thinks it has. You need to fill every byte with data, essentially marking it as reserved, until no more bits are available.. (formatting does not do that).

Try a piece of software called "F3". (F3 by Digirati)
You can fill the card with data and read it back to verify it was written correctly.

I do this several times in a row until the final sector count is consistent between multiple runs.
I had a brand new card that had some bad sectors and caused a memory card error.
I ran this a few times and the SD card's firmware marked those sectors as bad.
Its now stable as can be... although a few kilobytes smaller.

Simply attempting to write a large file until the card fills up may cause an error to the OS and fail to write out the last block of data. On an SD, that block may not remain the "last" block forever and if it is bad, you may hit it again at any time.
You need a program that knows the exact amount of data to successfully write out to fill every byte.

Be careful formatting in older cameras. If they don't know about higher capacity cards, they will effectively partition the card into a smaller size that the camera can handle. This can be very difficult to recover from, as the card was not given a partition table by the old camera formatting. So most software won't know that it can be made larger.

FYI;
Just to make card buying decision tougher...
Never had a problem with Transcend. I have dozens of those cards. Some five+ years old.
I bought two Lexar cards (reputable dealer, not eBay counterfeits), and both had so many failures I threw them out in under four months.

So far I have not had problems with Sandisk either... so perhaps they may be more consistently not bad.
12-03-2013, 06:55 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blade Runner Quote
Thank you.
i have the same problem with these Samsung cards, they do not work in all the cameras i have, only in certain ones.
12-03-2013, 09:35 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
No attempt has so far obtained results!

12-03-2013, 09:46 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Get rid of the Samsungs and buy SanDisk. Btw, I've used PNY's in my last cameras but for the K-30, I bought a 32gb Sandisk extreme. Mostly just cause I wanted one.
12-03-2013, 11:49 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I have two Samsung micro SD cards 32GB and for some reason they are very unreliable in any device I put them except my Samsung TV, Samsung Galaxy Note and my PC (which is not Samsung). Any other device I put them in will work sort of OK as long as they only read but as soon as they write anything the data on the card gets completely corrupted.

I used to use Kingston but twice had problems with my K-r and since then have used only Transcend and never again had any issues.
12-05-2013, 04:51 PM   #11
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I took delivery of 2 Sandisk Extreme Pro 32Gb cards (95Mb/s) from B&H.

One of these cards is faulty, refusing to format in the K-3, on a Windows 8 PC, and my workhorse Linux PC. Probing the usb bus on my Linux box, the faulty card is reporting its capacity at 30mb.

At $60 a pop, I am not just going to bin the bad one, so I've initiated a warranty claim with Sandisk.

To date, I've used Sandisk products exclusively without issue, so this is very likely one of those occasional aberrations.
12-05-2013, 07:15 PM   #12
Site Supporter

PNY, Transcend, Sandisk, Delkin, etc. never had any problems with any of the SD cards I've ever used.
12-05-2013, 09:06 PM   #13

I've used Patriot in CF (8gb), many micro SD (16, 32, 64gb) and SD (16, 32 and 64gb). Not a single problem. Note that flash memory will eventually fail.
12-05-2013, 10:22 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I've had 2 Transcend. Both about a year old. One physically disintegrated, the other one just won't take any data anymore, even after a low level format. My 5 year old SanDisk only recently started to give me some problems (contacts used up too much?). After much use. I'm happy with Kingston and SanDisk. Everything else I avoid.