Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2013, 12:53 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
K-3 SD Card Management

I have an issue with SD card management, this may just be a "feature" of the Camera.
I have set the cards to sequential and find if I pull card 1 to download and then replace it, the camera selects card 2.
This is of course easy to change, but being a new feature to me I forget to check it and wonder if card 2 fills up will it automatically then select card 2?

12-03-2013, 12:56 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveXT Quote
I have an issue with SD card management, this may just be a "feature" of the Camera.
I have set the cards to sequential and find if I pull card 1 to download and then replace it, the camera selects card 2.
This is of course easy to change, but being a new feature to me I forget to check it and wonder if card 2 fills up will it automatically then select card 2?
This is a quirk with the camera. An easy fix is to power the camera off, remove the card, copy your files, re-insert it, and power it back on. Card 1 will then continue being selected.

However, if you power the camera on without card 1, it will automatically go to card 2 and stay there until it fills up, which is the behavior that you're observing.

The K-3 is missing a "primary sd card slot" option in its menu. Pentax might add this via a firmware update...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-03-2013, 01:17 AM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Yep, that's exactly what it does. it's my issue really but I still wonder if it does start with card 2 will it then select card 1 ?
12-03-2013, 02:45 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveXT Quote
Yep, that's exactly what it does. it's my issue really but I still wonder if it does start with card 2 will it then select card 1 ?
Yup, it will.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-03-2013, 08:29 AM   #5
dbh
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I wonder if, when dealing with continuous high-speed shooting, the camera hits its transfer limit with the current SD card will it pop over to the other one, and then back-and-forth between them?
That would be cool.
02-05-2014, 11:20 PM   #6
Inactive Account

copying SD cards

Hey guys,

Can you copy a photo from one SD card to the other while in the in the K3?

Cheers

Mike
02-05-2014, 11:36 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dbh Quote
I wonder if, when dealing with continuous high-speed shooting, the camera hits its transfer limit with the current SD card will it pop over to the other one, and then back-and-forth between them?
That would be cool.
I believe it has only one output interface to the cards. So if you ask the camera to write files to both Card 1 and Card 2 (ie duplicate mode), it does so sequentially, not in parallel. This would be something determined by the third party manufacturer of the processor board and chips.

02-05-2014, 11:44 PM   #8
Inactive Account

ah ok ... so what I want to do is this. Have an SD with stock photos in the camera slot2. take a photo saved to slot1. Copy that photo to card2. Take that card out give to a customer and put in another SD card with stock photos. Do the same with maybe 10 SD cards

Guessing its not possible?
02-06-2014, 12:51 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If shooting RAW+, the raw file will be saved to SD1 and the jpeg to SD2. As far as I understand from the manual, this is all the automatic file management you get with stills shooting.
02-06-2014, 11:52 AM   #10
jup

QuoteOriginally posted by mickyd Quote
ah ok ... so what I want to do is this. Have an SD with stock photos in the camera slot2. take a photo saved to slot1. Copy that photo to card2. Take that card out give to a customer and put in another SD card with stock photos. Do the same with maybe 10 SD cards

Guessing its not possible?
Yes, you can do that. There's a copy function in play mode which can copy single photo, multiple photo or the whole folder from one card to another. But you will have to go through the selection process with each card, so for 10 cards it's probably not fastest. But doable.
02-06-2014, 02:53 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Awesome guys, thanks for the heads up. Jup, that is exactly what I want to do, Take a bunch of photos and copy them across to another SD card in the camera. Saves doing this with a laptop I guess. K3 on the way for me

---------- Post added 02-07-14 at 02:54 AM ----------

The K50 doesn't have dual cards does it?