Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2013, 07:10 AM   #1

Why is the K3's shortest interval shooting setting 2 seconds?

On the K-r, the only other Pentax DSLR I have experience with, the shortest interval is 1 second, which is perfect for crowds of people (my most common subject for time lapse).

But on the K3, it's 2 seconds. Even with resolution reduced, corrections and NR turned off. The manual lists 2 seconds as the shortest interval, so it's not a performance thing. In fact, it doesn't even seem like it could be a processing or cache limitation; if the Kr can do it at 12 megapixels, surely the K3 should be able to do it at 720p.

Is there a reason 2 seconds has been chosen as the shortest interval? Could there be a way around it?

12-03-2013, 07:52 AM   #2
Site Supporter

An external intervalometer? But seriously, I agree that it's a bit strange...
12-03-2013, 07:52 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe you can set up interval+bracketing? And some triggers allow their own interval mode with more options.
That's all I can say, I agree with you. Looks like an odd firmware limitation.
12-03-2013, 08:01 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That is strange since the K-01 supported allready a 1 second interval.

12-03-2013, 08:19 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Did you notice the same issue in the interval movie mode?

I'm long overdue for some interval movie shooting ...
12-03-2013, 08:48 AM   #6

Original Poster
Yeah interval movie and interval stills are both the same.

Oddly enough, I've read that even with an external intervalometer, K20 and K5-IIs wont shoot any faster than every 2 seconds.

How come Kr and K01, with older less powerful chips have the option? Firmware limitation?
12-03-2013, 11:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member

With external intervalometer I can shoot up to about 2 frames per second reliably - I've just tried it. This is raw+jpeg with raw going to one card and jpeg full quality to the other.

At three per second it ocasionally misses a frame and then shoots the next two very quickly. But you can do three per second anyway with low speed continuous shooting, using a wired remote with a hold down position.

And of course you can do the same at 8 frames per second with hi speed continuous but you will probably need to shoot jpeg at reduced quality and resolution to avoid overflowing the buffer.

I think the only limitation is the user interface - it must be since I can shoot much faster with an external intervalometer, or even manually by pushing the shutter button for that matter. Someone probably just thought that nobody would want to shoot at one frame per second, or maybe its just a programming error.
12-03-2013, 11:40 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Edit: I forgot to mention this test is with a K-3

12-03-2013, 12:30 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
I think the only limitation is the user interface - it must be since I can shoot much faster with an external intervalometer, or even manually by pushing the shutter button for that matter. Someone probably just thought that nobody would want to shoot at one frame per second, or maybe its just a programming error.
Or they wanted to avoid the problems that comes when someone put in a slow memory card and starts saving raw+jpeg with some processing added and it doesn't work.
12-03-2013, 12:57 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by alasdair03 Quote
Yeah interval movie and interval stills are both the same.

Oddly enough, I've read that even with an external intervalometer, K20 and K5-IIs wont shoot any faster than every 2 seconds.

How come Kr and K01, with older less powerful chips have the option? Firmware limitation?
I have the K20D and K-5IIs. Both will shoot still intervals at 1 second. The K20D will only shoot for 99 frames, The K-5IIs, 999. The K20D soesn't do video, and the K-5IIs doesn't do interval video. That's what the K-01 is for.
12-03-2013, 01:05 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I wish that in some firmware upgrade they would give the option of keeping the mirror up and iris actuated during interval shooting. It seems to me to be pretty pointless to pop the mirror and aperture for each shot and its a lot of unnecessary wear and tear. It may be needed for AE but even that could be easily avoided by using the image sensor just as it does in live view.
12-03-2013, 01:49 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Minimum interval on the K-30 (and K-50?) is 3 seconds.
12-03-2013, 02:18 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
I wish that in some firmware upgrade they would give the option of keeping the mirror up and iris actuated during interval shooting. It seems to me to be pretty pointless to pop the mirror and aperture for each shot and its a lot of unnecessary wear and tear. It may be needed for AE but even that could be easily avoided by using the image sensor just as it does in live view.
Did you email them and ask for it?
Sounds like a good idea...
12-03-2013, 03:25 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
"I wish that in some firmware upgrade they would give the option of keeping the mirror up and iris actuated during interval shooting. It seems to me to be pretty pointless to pop the mirror and aperture for each shot and its a lot of unnecessary wear and tear. It may be needed for AE but even that could be easily avoided by using the image sensor just as it does in live view."

I requested this in the K-3 "bitch session" thread.

Jack