Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2013, 08:32 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Entering Pentax, choice of lenses

Hello,
Probably pointless edition as a thread,

I have ordered the k3 silver after reconcidering my original thoughts about K5ii. Now I am thinking about getting the std black ed because most linses are black and there is very limited original silver line, And this range becomes narrower if you incl wr to your wish list. Whats the point in getting silver ed when lins choices are black? If colour is not an issue then why make a silver choice to begin with? Looking good counts only in street photography thus you dont need to look good in the woods? Silver has apoint only when seen?

Could you plz help me in understanding this point of view?

I am an amatour of course and my entery lvl became the Ricoh GR for street photo. I have dreamt about picking up photography since I was 6 years old, and now can give it both time and effort. (45 years old).

12-03-2013, 08:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would keep the silver one, buy the silver limiteds and you're good to go for street photography. Add other colors for when you go in the woods.

I really fail to see your point. By the way, plenty of white L-lenses on black Canon bodies
12-03-2013, 08:50 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's not how you feel but how you look, dahling.
And dahling, you look mahvelous!

I prefer black myself but black lenses don't look bad on the silver bodies because they have black grips.
The two tone look works well.
12-03-2013, 09:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Black makes the camera looks thinner and fashionable I might add .
So a black lens on a silver body will make the camera look shorter than it is - nothing wrong with that.

12-03-2013, 02:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Neogenic Quote
Whats the point in getting silver ed when lins choices are black?
There are enough silver lenses to make an all-silver K-3 body/lens ensemble. I think that including the silver DA Ltds and the silver FA Ltd's, there are about 8 silver lenses available. Not bad.

But anyone who is serious about camera colour and style should probably get a K-50. There even seem to be some lens options in red, white and pink, to go with the various body colour options you get with the K-50...
Attached Images

12-03-2013, 04:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
There are enough silver lenses to make an all-silver K-3 body/lens ensemble. I think that including the silver DA Ltds and the silver FA Ltd's, there are about 8 silver lenses available. Not bad.

But anyone who is serious about camera colour and style should probably get a K-50. There even seem to be some lens options in red, white and pink, to go with the various body colour options you get with the K-50...

Uh-oh... we need a new thread with why I would never buy a K-50...
12-04-2013, 12:34 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
The hole point is whom you are intending to please, yourself or others. Choice is still limited for silver and WR. No dedicated marko or tele what so ever; i would say nonexistent. I personally bought my car colour because of the feeling it gives me every time I look at it; not for look on others when they see it:-) k50 is Gorgeous and seeing different colours is a privilege.

Last edited by Neogenic; 12-04-2013 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Spelling
12-04-2013, 04:32 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Neogenic Quote
The hole point is whom you are intending to please, yourself or others. Choice is still limited for silver and WR. No dedicated marko or tele what so ever; i would say nonexistent. I personally bought my car colour because of the feeling it gives me every time I look at it; not for look on others when they see it:-) k50 is Gorgeous and seeing different colours is a privilege.

Hi, just got yesterday, a Pentax 100mm F2.8 WR macro. So far it is excellent. The black lens looks good on the K-3 silver body; as does all my black lenses. The K-3 silver has black grips and silver metal work; so all Pentax mount lenses, I have seen, would look fine on the K-3.

Hope this helps.
12-05-2013, 09:07 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mal_from_Oz Quote
Hi, just got yesterday, a Pentax 100mm F2.8 WR macro. So far it is excellent. The black lens looks good on the K-3 silver body; as does all my black lenses. The K-3 silver has black grips and silver metal work; so all Pentax mount lenses, I have seen, would look fine on the K-3.

Hope this helps.
I have this lins in my sight as well:-), I will probably grow with both lines and colour as you see it :-)
12-05-2013, 09:13 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Personally don't understand the silver craze... They look fake/toylike to my eye. Sure old cameras used to be silver, but the trend shifted to black.

But that's just me.
12-05-2013, 09:27 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by klkitchens Quote
Personally don't understand the silver craze... They look fake/toylike to my eye. Sure old cameras used to be silver, but the trend shifted to black.

But that's just me.
Back in the old days, the black one were the "pro-cameras" everyone else had silver. And that was only 25 years ago. Why would I pay extra to look like an amateur from 25 years ago?
12-05-2013, 09:32 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
well, which color takes better pictures?
12-05-2013, 09:36 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
well, which color takes better pictures?
I was told the black one took better pictures, that's why only the pro's used them…. Maybe it's different with digital…
12-05-2013, 10:16 AM   #14
Veteran Member

One tip... make sure you get a good lins cloth to get all the lent off your linses.
12-05-2013, 11:45 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Back in the old days, the black one were the "pro-cameras" everyone else had silver. And that was only 25 years ago. Why would I pay extra to look like an amateur from 25 years ago?
Back to the point: Are you wearing the colour to please your eyes or others! Black colour for 35 years ago was a sign for plastic not alloy