Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2013, 12:58 PM   #1
Site Supporter

First observation from new K3

Hi everyone. Here are the first observations we made that we felt would be of interest to everyone, and hopefully have not been hashed out too much already. First this camera has a very quiet shutter/recocking cycle, even quieter than the K5/K5IIs that we have and it's also 'sweeter' as my wife puts it. I thought the K5 series was almost whisper quiet, but the K3 is better. Makes my neighbors Leica M3 sound like a truck compared to a BMW. The screw drive is also quieter to our ears. Makes our screwdriver lenses more usable if this is not just wishful thinking on our part. The screwdriver focus is about the same speed as before, but seems to lock on a bit faster and more sure so less hunting to us. We tried using the 18-135 like during a wedding shot of the bride with bouquet and it SEEMS to find the brides face/eyes pretty regularly using 27 zone AFS auto setting. This is something the older cameras never did and something the Nikons do with incredible efficiency. I will monitor this and report back. BTW, the Canons don't seem to do this either. That is all for now.

D&K

12-05-2013, 01:27 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Thanks for the feedback.

Dale
12-05-2013, 03:08 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Indeed thanks, always room for more info and more viewpoints!
So even the IIs feels a bit lacking in AF confidence, in your estimation? The -3EV is a winner for certain shots, but more AF points should assist even more often. I presume you're using most or all of the AF points on the K-3 for your shots, please correct me if instead you're using center-AF or other arrangement.
12-05-2013, 03:21 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Actually the K3 and K5IIs are about exactly the same in very low light as far as AF is concerned. In good light the K3 seems to lock on a bit faster, and with 27 point AFs chosen it seems to pick the face/eye of the portrait subject for the AF point, and ignore the rest as clutter. Its not perfect but seems good. Time will tell.<br />
<br />
David

12-05-2013, 05:39 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have found that the K3 stomps the K5IIs (which I also have) at AF tracking and it also is more sure to AF. Less hunting. I bought the WR 55-300 at the same time as the K3 and it behaves like a different lens on the K3. Much more authoritative AF and much less hunting. It even works well for AF tracking.