Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2013, 12:56 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K-3 and lenses wider than 10mm

Hello all,

I'm not sure having seen info on how the K-3 deals with this or not, but one of the gripes I had with my Sigma 8-16 on my Pentax bodies is their not registering the focal length used for shots wider than 10mm (i.e. 8mm and 9mm). Mainly because that means manual lens corrections are in order in Lightroom, whereas the software does have a lens profile for doing this automatically, and as such does so nicely at focal lengths from 10mm up.

So, could Pentaxians that own both the K-3 and the Sigma 8-16 please check whether the camera registers 8mm as a focal length? I would make my decision in getting the K-3 a lot easier...

Tx!! Wim

12-06-2013, 01:23 AM   #2

Hi Ishpuini,

i think it's not a K-3 only problem. But there are some threads, that might help:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/32-digital-processing-software-printing/1...n-8mm-lr3.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/61-post-processing-articles/176330-sigma-...ally-8-mm.html

Regards,
Islejones
12-06-2013, 01:33 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
no ,it is just blank
12-06-2013, 01:36 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
It is odd that it does not show 8mm in the EXIF, since when I'm using my 8mm fisheye I can manually select 8mm for the SR, but when i check the EXIF afterwards it shows as 0mm.

12-06-2013, 01:42 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Islejones Quote
Tx, I know it's not a K-3 problem (I'm currently processing a few thousand K-5 images from my last trip, incl many at 8mm...), but I was hoping Pentax might have "fixed" it with the K-3, this being the first new major advanced Pentax DSLR released since the Sigma 8-16 hit the market.

Wim
12-06-2013, 01:46 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
It is odd that it does not show 8mm in the EXIF, since when I'm using my 8mm fisheye I can manually select 8mm for the SR, but when i check the EXIF afterwards it shows as 0mm.
Yes, that's indeed what I seemed to remember having read, i.e. 8mm being available as option for SR. I indeed hoped that would mean this being registered in the EXIF, and solving the shortcoming for the 8-16 (among others). Shame it's not the case then... I suppose I'll just continue correcting these images manually then...

Perhaps Pentax may still add this in a future firmware upgrade, but their not offering anything wider than 10mm makes that unlikely I suppose...

Wim
12-06-2013, 10:55 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I too have a 8-16 that I use with my K5 (firmware version 1.14). Pentax bodies do not record focal length values of less than 10mm within the image's EXIF. Why they do not - makes absolutely no sense. Values of 10mm and above are recorded just fine. Also, for M42, K and M lenses, when SR enabled, you are asked to enter a focal length that does go down to 8mm. When looking at the image on the rear panel, (with the full image info displayed) 8mm is displayed, and it is reflected into the EXIF area of the image file (via the latest version of PhotoME). With the 8-16, when looking at the image info on the rear panel with FL's of 8 or 9, the focal length is displayed as "---mm".

Up until now, I have just worked around this flaw in Pentax's firmware.

So, I called Pentax USA - this morning, since I have today off. Their response was - Pentax does not make any lenses with a focal length shorter than 10mm so why would you think that this would an issue with Pentax bodies. We test our lenses and they work, and we are not responsible for other brands. They directed me to call Sigma - since it was their lens. This is just being nothing but disingenuous on Pentax's part.

The inconsistent handling of focal length information across lenses is inexcusable. There is no reason as to why the body is unable to write it to the EXIF. The lens ID information (8 18) is provided across all focal lengths - both above and below 10mm, so it certainly appears that it is not a problem with the Sigma lens not able to read the lens' interface and report the information at the wider focal lengths.

The problem has the fingerprints of being a problem with the body - Pentax's firmware. It should be a very easy fix. Just make the fix.

I did a bit of searching across the web. bossa received the same response from JR Kennedy, who is the both the Pentax and Sigma distributor down in Australia. Kennedy if any any one would have reason to approach Japan to get a firmware fix - it would be them. So it appears that its Pentax Japan who is being less than forthright in terms of customer service here - with the distributors just parroting the company line. In my mind it comes down to just plain customer service. We bought the camera body, there should not be any hindrances in terms of working and recording data available at the lens interface.

This is very reminiscent of back in the early Microsoft days when the expression "Windows isn't done, till Lotus won't run".

Yes, there are some workarounds available in terms of modifying the EXIF through the insertion of the FL value. I ask - why should we the customer be forced to do this, since Pentax Japan is just being butt headed in terms of customer service. This is just Pentax flipping their loyal (and ever shrinking) customer base the big middle finger - aka "the Bird". This has been an ongoing problem since at least 2010, when the 8-16 was announced. In that Sigma has discontinued the Pentax mount in this lens, I wonder how this problem played in Sigma's decision.

So now that Ricoh owns Pentax, I'll ask - Ricoh, what do you intend to do? What is your position in terms of Customer Service?

Last edited by interested_observer; 12-06-2013 at 11:07 AM.