Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2013, 06:48 AM   #1

K3 DNG files in Capture One 7

Hello all,

The short version: Is anyone here using Capture One 7 to process DNG files from the K-3? If so, what steps do you take to convert the DNG from the camera to a format that C1 understands?

I've taken a couple hundred shots with the K3, but now that I wanted to import them into Capture One for further processing, to my dismay I noticed that all images have the colors all messed up No amount of adjustment I make within C1 corrects it.

The issue apparently is that C1 doesn't have a ICC profile for the K-3 yet, and none of the other Pentax profiles are able to get close enough either. I was in touch with Phase One tech support about this, but their only answer basically was that they've logged my request, but can't give any sort of estimate as to when a profile for the K-3 will be available within C1 (small company and all). I've tried using Adobe's DNG converter to convert the files from the camera to a version that C1 would understand, but so far haven't found a setting that worked (although running the files through the converter did produce a version that OS X is now able to preview).

Any suggestions?

12-06-2013, 02:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Phase One take time to get C1 working right with all new Pentax DSLR's. It was the same with the K-x, the K-5 and recently the K-30.

It might help if you send the C1 support team a few [colourful, well-shot] K-3 DNG's to help them craft a profile for the camera. It worked for me with C1 and the K-x, some time ago.
12-06-2013, 04:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Try Photo Ninja. It has an excellent built-in profile for the K-3 and is a superior raw convertor, IMO. PN does not have layers or local adjustments, but the output is definitely better than what you can get from C1, which was my main raw convertor until Photo Ninja came along.

Rob
12-06-2013, 04:32 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jens.w Quote
Hello all,

The short version: Is anyone here using Capture One 7 to process DNG files from the K-3? If so, what steps do you take to convert the DNG from the camera to a format that C1 understands?

I've taken a couple hundred shots with the K3, but now that I wanted to import them into Capture One for further processing, to my dismay I noticed that all images have the colors all messed up No amount of adjustment I make within C1 corrects it.

The issue apparently is that C1 doesn't have a ICC profile for the K-3 yet, and none of the other Pentax profiles are able to get close enough either. I was in touch with Phase One tech support about this, but their only answer basically was that they've logged my request, but can't give any sort of estimate as to when a profile for the K-3 will be available within C1 (small company and all). I've tried using Adobe's DNG converter to convert the files from the camera to a version that C1 would understand, but so far haven't found a setting that worked (although running the files through the converter did produce a version that OS X is now able to preview).

Any suggestions?
Also consider Iridient Developer, a Mac only Raw developer (formerly known as Raw Developer). They have a K-3 profile. The demo version is free to use but has a watermark, but you'll get the idea. Not an asset manager.Even though I am a serious Lightroom user, I think the Iridient Developer has the best Raw engine out there.

M

12-07-2013, 03:56 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll try out Photo Ninja and Iridient Developer while waiting for Phase One to get a profile into C1. Will also see if I can find some good test shots to send in.
12-07-2013, 07:26 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
Also consider Iridient Developer, a Mac only Raw developer (formerly known as Raw Developer). They have a K-3 profile. The demo version is free to use but has a watermark, but you'll get the idea. Not an asset manager.Even though I am a serious Lightroom user, I think the Iridient Developer has the best Raw engine out there.

M
Do you know if the Iridient Developer will recognize the AWB multiple source information? Lightroom doesn't and the raw files end up with really weird color, while the jpg versions look really good.
12-07-2013, 08:03 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
Do you know if the Iridient Developer will recognize the AWB multiple source information?
I do not know, but write the Iridient Developer developer; he is very responsive to questions. And then please share the feedback. Thanks.

M

12-16-2013, 03:18 PM   #8

Original Poster
To get back to this a bit. Does anyone know of any contact info to Pentax/Ricoh through which one could send an email to them? I got the suggestion from the phase one forums to try and check with Pentax if they've supplied Phase One with a k-3 so they could create the necessary profile for the k-3 in Capture One. But browsing the Pentax site I can't find any email or even contact form to use if I just want to fire off an email to them...

In the mean time I had a look at the suggested softwares, but I don't really want to fork out that kind of money again since I just put my money on C1. So for now I'm shooting DNG+jpg. The Adobe dng converter is able to convert the DNG's to something OS X understands (although C1 is still just playing dumb), and using the jpg's I have the option to forward something quickly if need be.. Not ideal, but I'll manage I guess. Lightroom just announced support for the k-3, so maybe I'll try that for the trial duration...
12-21-2013, 03:53 AM   #9

Original Poster
So Capture One 7.1.6 came out today, unfortunately it did not include support for the K-3. The following Pentax cameras were added though: K50, Q10 and Q7.

I finally found a contact form on the mess that is Ricoh Europes pages, if anyone else needs it: http://pentax-ricoh.quicksupportlink.com/callform/pages/callform.asp?c_id=4. I fired off an enquiry there as well, let's see what the reply is. In the mean time I'd ask others to also put some pressure on both Pentax and Phase One about getting support for the K-3.
12-21-2013, 10:17 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jens.w Quote
The following Pentax cameras were added though: K50, Q10 and Q7.
If they have done Q10 and Q7, then K-3 is surely on the way soon.
12-27-2013, 07:40 AM   #11

DNG format

I like SmartPhotoEditor. It opens DNG files no problem and has an array of cool effects you can have fun with as well! (oh ya, Love my K3 but now I'll have to change my name)

Last edited by k5george; 12-27-2013 at 07:48 AM.
12-27-2013, 10:01 AM   #12

Use Adobe DNG Converter

Hi,

if you convert a PEF-file with Adobe´s DNG-Converter, you can use DNG-files in Capture One without having this weird green-purple tint.

Color is still not very accurate. Try to apply different colorprofiles from previous Pentax cameras.
12-28-2013, 02:45 PM   #13

Original Poster
@ k5george Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check it out.

QuoteOriginally posted by Viennese Quote
Hi,

if you convert a PEF-file with Adobe´s DNG-Converter, you can use DNG-files in Capture One without having this weird green-purple tint.

Color is still not very accurate. Try to apply different colorprofiles from previous Pentax cameras.
What settings are you using in the DNG converter? I tried running a PEF file through it and then open the resulting DNG in C1 but still got the purple tint.