Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
08-13-2014, 06:26 AM   #61

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I don't know about others, but I love my ACMAXX on my K3!
Rick

08-13-2014, 08:57 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Just purchased the acmaxxx for 20 bucks, and put it on. It is indeed a good peace of mind.
08-13-2014, 11:05 AM   #63
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rikracer Quote
I don't know about others, but I love my ACMAXX on my K3!
Rick
QuoteOriginally posted by danny09 Quote
Just purchased the acmaxxx for 20 bucks, and put it on. It is indeed a good peace of mind.
How was the fit? Does the ACMAXX fit down in the K-3's LCD inset or does it fit up on the camera back? Mine is almost exactly the same dimensions as the opening and fits, but not cleanly.

I got another e-mail from onlinefred62 indicating that they can send me a somewhat smaller version that might fit better. Here is the summary of our message thread:
  • The K-3 version is supposed to be 71mm x 50mm
  • The one I received is 72mm x 51mm
  • The one they propose to send is 68.5mm x 48mm
I suggested they send me one that is actually 71mm x 50mm and it would probably work great. I have not heard back.

I know that 1mm in each dimension is a little sniggly, but the tolerances are tight for the K-3. Too small and the LCD area is masked. Too big and the protector sits a millimeter or more off the LCD. A little too big and it sort of fits, but with potential for gaps.

Steve
08-13-2014, 04:39 PM   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I got one from GGS, and I got the one for the Canon 1DS and it fits perfectly on the LCD.

08-13-2014, 05:00 PM   #65
klh
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've had ACMAXX covers on my K20D, K-5, MX-1, and two K-3s. I have been very happy and would recommend them.

My two K-3s are slightly different, but I hadn't really noticed they were different sizes until I read this post. One is 71.5x51mm, and I think it fits perfectly. The other is 70x48.5mm, and still works fine. Although it does not quite reach the edges of the rear screen, I can still see the entire screen.

Last edited by klh; 08-14-2014 at 03:19 PM.
08-13-2014, 05:22 PM   #66
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by felixkh Quote
I got one from GGS, and I got the one for the Canon 1DS and it fits perfectly on the LCD.

Do you have a link for this item? GSS has many, many LCD protector products and it would be good to know which one.

Steve

---------- Post added 08-13-14 at 05:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by klh Quote
I've had these covers on my K20D, K-5, MX-1, and two K-3s. I have been very happy and would recommend them.

My two K-3s are slightly different, but I hadn't really noticed they were different sizes until I read this post. One is 71.5x51mm, and I think it fits perfectly. The other is 70x48.5mm, and still works fine. Although it does not quite reach the edges of the rear screen, I can still see the entire screen.
Which covers are you using?

Steve
08-13-2014, 06:16 PM   #67
klh
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Which covers are you using?

Steve
I bought the ACMAXXs at different times for both my K-3's. They were listed for the K-3, but they are not exactly the same size.

08-13-2014, 07:30 PM   #68
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by klh Quote
I bought the ACMAXXs at different times for both my K-3's. They were listed for the K-3, but they are not exactly the same size.
It would appear that they have a packaging and/or manufacturing tolerance problem. I still have not heard back from the eBay seller regarding just what they are going to do.

Steve
08-13-2014, 07:35 PM   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Do you have a link for this item? GSS has many, many LCD protector products and it would be good to know which one.

Steve
I got mine from the local store in Singapore. It's 3.2" diagonally and fits into the LCD.

Could be this as the packing in Singapore is different.
http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/GGS-Canon-1D-MKIV-Fit-Pro-Removable-Glass-Digital...8983716&_uhb=1

Last edited by felixkh; 08-13-2014 at 07:40 PM.
08-14-2014, 02:46 PM   #70
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Well, the replacement ACMAXX arrived today. It measures...(drum roll)...
70mm x 49mm
And fits down on the LCD surface. The fit is not perfect (71mm x 49mm would have been ideal), but I am not going to do another back-and-forth with the eBay seller, onlinefred62.

At this point my impressions are:
+ Responsive eBay seller
- Sizing issues seem to be the rule
+ Sturdy
+/- Scratch resistance is about the same as the polycarbonate LCD screens found on earlier Pentax dSLRs
- Anti-reflection surface is ineffective on top surface, but appears to work on underside
- Silver margin does not appeal to my taste. It might look better on a silver-body camera.
+ Adhesive works real well and protector is easy to remove with no detectable residue
+ Light transmission and contrast is very good
Can I recommend? I have not seen the competitor's product* and am hesitant to totally trash a marginally flawed product if it is the best available. That being said, I am not sure I would buy again. Leaving the screen naked is looking pretty good right now.

Steve

* The GGS Larmor looks like a good prospect...definitely better looking than the ACMAXX and is about 1/2 the thickness. Now if they only made it to K-3 dimensions...

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-14-2014 at 02:59 PM.
08-14-2014, 04:59 PM   #71

I love the silver margin. Oh well- to each his own!
08-14-2014, 05:09 PM   #72
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gosman Quote
Reminds me of colored piping on a jacket.

Steve
08-14-2014, 05:16 PM   #73
klh
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gosman Quote
I think it actually looks better on the black than the silver edition.
03-23-2016, 07:57 PM   #74
Pentaxian

OK, reviving an old thread.
I've been using a acmaxx on my K3. The top protector came loose due to high humidity and temperature, shooting during a summer storm.
So I ordered a new one, the new top protector is the same as the old one. So no problem.
The new rear screen is smaller than the existing. I'd like to replace as there is a lot of dust beneath it now. (Not visible in picture below...)

Top Photo: Old ACMAXX on my K3 = 71x51mm. Fits around the frame and doesn't obstruct the screen.
Bottom Photo: New ACMAXX = 69.5x49mm. Shown held over the old screen protector. You can see the size difference.

I think this is going to be too small. Anyone using the smaller size without issue? Perhaps it's meant to be smaller to avoid dust???
Should I return them?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
03-24-2016, 09:35 AM - 1 Like   #75
Veteran Member

The best I've found - by far - is the 3M Vikuiti line shipped directly from Germany. Precise fit every time, superb quality, quick shipping, never a problem.

Screen Protectors for Pentax K3, K-3 | protectionfilms24.com

Several types to choose from, but the ADQC27 are the best you will find for optical quality and durability. Still economical, and covers both displays exactly.