Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
03-25-2016, 05:37 PM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
The best I've found - by far - is the 3M Vikuiti line shipped directly from Germany. .
Hi James
Do they provide any impact protection? That's why I normally use the ACMAXX, if they would actually fit....
Cal

03-25-2016, 09:49 PM   #77
Veteran Member

I suspect that ACMAXX might be a bit better for impact resistance, but the newer camera bodies use extremely impact resistant tempered (plexi)glass such that any impact that is severe enough to crack the glass likely will destroy the camera body mechanisms. However, the scratch-resistance and coatings have been somewhat compromised accordingly. I'm surprised that the hard glass protectors have survived (possibly just a matter of habit).

Vikuiti offers a tougher protector called "Brotect AirGlass," but it isn't as popular as the higher end products that enhance LCD viewing with their advanced anti-reflective/anti-scratch coatings.

Last edited by ScooterMaxi Jim; 03-25-2016 at 09:54 PM.
03-26-2016, 12:21 AM   #78
Pentaxian

Decided to send them a message and see what happens.
03-26-2016, 03:12 AM   #79
Pentaxian

So, while I'm waiting for that to sort out...

I went to a local Japanese $2.80 store (We used to have $2 stores, but inflation....) and bought a Korean made iphone screen protector.

Using an exacto knife, I cut it to suit the K3 screens. (Tip - use a post it note and a HB pencil to do a 'rubbing' of the top screen - it's easier than measuring the angles.)

Photos below show ACMAXX screen on my K7 and Do It Yourself $2.80 screen on my K3. I have angled both to get the same reflection from a window.
The $2.80 screen has way fewer harsh reflections, but being about 0.2mm thick, it will only protect against scratches, NOT impact. Gives a slightly matte appearance, also. Following Jame's comment above, I decided the impact risk is pretty minimal, I've never dropped a camera in my life, so touch wood, I'll be OK.

The iphone screen protector is pretty good against 'nose prints' also. Will have to see how long it lasts before falling off...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 

Last edited by calsan; 03-26-2016 at 04:11 AM.
03-26-2016, 07:01 AM   #80
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Matte anti-reflection screen protectors

I have had a couple of these anti-reflection (usually matte surface) protectors over the years. I have not liked them because they seem to cut into the clarity and sharpness of the image on the LCD screen. What do others think? Am I just not looking at the screen properly? By the way, most of my photography takes place in the outdoors, in the deserts of Arizona and Utah with lots of bright sunlight around.
03-26-2016, 09:48 AM   #81
Veteran Member

Nice job of cutting calsan. Well done. I have to agree with Mikesul, though, that matte over the display is not at all my cup of tea.
03-26-2016, 05:25 PM   #82
Pentaxian

Yes, well I will see how it works out...
Currently a cloudy day here, so I can't check in full sun right now! It's undeniable, however, that the bare screen is the best for viewing.

Onlinefred at ACMAXX got back to me already, apparently people were returning them for being too large and most customers wanted the screen to sit IN the recess, not ON the surrounding frame.

03-26-2016, 07:50 PM   #83
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
most customers wanted the screen to sit IN the recess, not ON the surrounding frame
Yes, that is true. At least it was for me. It the protector sits too far off the LCD, it is very hard to read. The first one they sent fit neither on nor in. They responded with an assortment, one of which worked.

Steve
03-26-2016, 11:27 PM   #84
Pentaxian

Sent them a message along the lines that the correct size to sit flush in the screen recess is 71x49mm. And photos showing the dimensions.
It's no longer an "urgent" issue to me, ($2.80 store) but I'm trying to keep them informed so that future customers will hopefully get a size that fits.
03-30-2016, 05:01 PM   #85
Forum Member

I can't recommend it

Don't buy it.
It fits the top LCD wonderfully.
It's too small for the back display. You can see how much of the left edge is exposed.
Also you'll notice what looks like a water mark in the center of the back display. I guess I must have been too aggressive when placing it on the display as I attempted to affix it by rubbing it out from the center. So I had to pry open a corner and and quickly place it back down, in the same position. The display was bone dry when I applied the accmaxx protector so it was not due to any screen cleaner. Just the touching of the protector against the K-3's display.
I've placed many of these type of hard glass protectors on various items from iphones to other phones and the back of other digital cameras but never had such a difficult time as with this one. This is because the protective plastic is larger than the glass protector. It makes it real hard to line up edges when you can't clearly see the edge of the protector due to the overhanging protective plastic sheathing. I could not tell that it was that much smaller than the screen until it was on and I pulled off the plastic sheathing.
I'm going to leave it on because it does offer protection and does not interfere with the display.
I used a GGS LARMOR SCREEN LCD in the past and I would definitely recommend that. Fit my 60D perfectly! If they made one specifically for the K-3 I would not hesitate to buy it.
I hope this helps some folks out.
Take care,
Newfie
Attached Images

03-30-2016, 06:11 PM   #86
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Newfie Quote
Don't buy it.
It fits the top LCD wonderfully.
It's too small for the back display. You can see how much of the left edge is exposed.
Also you'll notice what looks like a water mark in the center of the back display. I guess I must have been too aggressive when placing it on the display as I attempted to affix it by rubbing it out from the center. So I had to pry open a corner and and quickly place it back down, in the same position. The display was bone dry when I applied the accmaxx protector so it was not due to any screen cleaner. Just the touching of the protector against the K-3's display.
I've placed many of these type of hard glass protectors on various items from iphones to other phones and the back of other digital cameras but never had such a difficult time as with this one. This is because the protective plastic is larger than the glass protector. It makes it real hard to line up edges when you can't clearly see the edge of the protector due to the overhanging protective plastic sheathing. I could not tell that it was that much smaller than the screen until it was on and I pulled off the plastic sheathing.
I'm going to leave it on because it does offer protection and does not interfere with the display.
I used a GGS LARMOR SCREEN LCD in the past and I would definitely recommend that. Fit my 60D perfectly! If they made one specifically for the K-3 I would not hesitate to buy it.
I hope this helps some folks out.
Take care,
Newfie
That's my luck, as usual: I ordered this ACMAXX screen protector after reading on it here.
Sure looks like a "no-fit" from your pictures.
Too bad because on my Fuji X-E2, the fit is perfect.
I suppose I will be able to send it back for refund if not opened?
Thanks.
JP
03-30-2016, 06:21 PM   #87
Pentaxian

I got a message back saying they don't do 71x49mm - the one I have is the best matched size for the K3 and do I want to return?
I said I won't return, because postage costs from Australia are too high. Give them their due, they do actually answer emails / ebay messages.

If you can manage to position it exactly with a 1mm gap on the left and right sides, it would look OK.
03-30-2016, 07:05 PM   #88
Forum Member

It can be done ...

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote

If you can manage to position it exactly with a 1mm gap on the left and right sides, it would look OK.
Yep, that would be the key to it. I would suggest removing the top plastic sheathing so you can really eyeball it when putting it on. Just wash your hands with soap beforehand to remove any oils in case your fingers slip under the edge while handling it.Once installed, expect the edges to collect dirt/dust over time ... but hey, it's a K-3 and we can hose it off no prob ...

Take care,
Newfie

---------- Post added 03-30-16 at 07:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
That's my luck, as usual: I ordered this ACMAXX screen protector after reading on it here.
Me too ... double

It's just too much hassle to get back and deal with the seller, etc., etc.

I'll live with it.
03-30-2016, 07:55 PM   #89
Pentaxian

Maybe stick a post-it note on one side to give you a straight edge to align to? (I'm always finding new uses for post-it notes.)

Newfie - you could probably still re-position it.
ACMAXX LCD Protector Remove Guide
Warm it up gently with a hair dryer and remove the screen it by plucking at a corner with a bit of dental floss. I find this was better to get started than a finger nail. (Plain, mint or spearmint are all OK. )
Then have another go at installing.
03-30-2016, 07:56 PM   #90
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Newfie Quote
Yep, that would be the key to it. I would suggest removing the top plastic sheathing so you can really eyeball it when putting it on. Just wash your hands with soap beforehand to remove any oils in case your fingers slip under the edge while handling it.Once installed, expect the edges to collect dirt/dust over time ... but hey, it's a K-3 and we can hose it off no prob ...

Take care,
Newfie

---------- Post added 03-30-16 at 07:09 PM ----------

Me too ... double

It's just too much hassle to get back and deal with the seller, etc., etc.

I'll live with it.
I'll just eyeball it for sizing when I receive it ... will also try to remove that plastic sheath and go from there.
If it doesn't "make it", I'll return it.
I just hate spending $$ for something that is advertised as "made for the K3" when it sure doesn't.

Cheers! and thanks for the replies.

JP