Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2013, 02:04 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
k3 warranty-do not return to store, pink slip

I received my k3 body yesterday from Amazon prime, sold by Amazon. There is no warranty card only a serial number card. The serial number card says "this is not a warranty card." Enclosed is a pink slip that says if there is a problem "DO NOT SEND BACK TO SELLER" but call the enclosed number for advise. For many years I thought it was the sellers requirement to sell a product that worked properly.
I ordered the camera Nov 29, 2013 and was out of stock at that time. The K3 arrived yesterday Dec 5(fast). I took 10 photos jpeg and raw. and checked in Photo Me, only to find out that it does not give manufactures data for the K3. Its does for my k5 and k01. I then used Adams software to check and that worked. The manufacture date was November 20. Nine days before I placed the order and the first photo I took was shutter release 1#. A new batch of cameras being manufactured or do they date cameras every day?
The camera works fine but I miss several features. I do a lot of astrophotograpy and tried the camera with the 0 GPS1. No more compass and I can no longer use the custom button feature to set the raw/fx button to the astrotracer feature.
I did use the compass to match a stars aziumth and an digital inclinometer to set the altitude for a set time and find the object in the cameras field of view. No More! One more thing I noticed when I tried a long exposure (30 sec) in dark skies at 6400 iso was noise. I did not see that much noise in my K5. This is a first day test, will need to test through several telescopes. I really hope the flu card works as advertised.
Camera does feel heaver than the k5, still fits my hand with a hand strap nicely.
Hank

12-06-2013, 02:22 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Many manufacturers include the "do not return. call us" note. They want to avoid unnecessary returns from customers who might have an easily solvable problem. Feel free to ignore the note if you need to do a return; Amazon should issue an RMA regardless of what the note says.
12-06-2013, 02:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by oneeyedhawk Quote
The camera works fine but I miss several features. I do a lot of astrophotograpy and tried the camera with the 0 GPS1. No more compass and I can no longer use the custom button feature to set the raw/fx button to the astrotracer feature.
I did use the compass to match a stars aziumth and an digital inclinometer to set the altitude for a set time and find the object in the cameras field of view. No More!
I've seen the lack of compass on the K-3 mentioned quite often and it leaves me puzzled as my K-3 does have the compass display.

Or am I misunderstanding what is meant by 'No more compass'?
12-06-2013, 04:42 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
no compass

Hi lister: After i read your response I checked my K5 and the compass works only with the 0GPS1. When I put the camera in astrotracer mode the option for electronic compass is greyed out, attach the 0GPS1 and turn it on the option for electronic is visible and works, turn the OGPS1 off and the compass disappears. I see no option for electric compass under GPS -astrotracer with or without the 0GPS1 turned on with the K3. Please tell me where you see this option and when do you see the compass.
Hank

12-06-2013, 04:51 PM   #5
Unregistered User

The Astrotracer pops on when in Bulb-mode. In the menu under GPS you have some options. Read the manual. The compass is now found when you toggle the info button...
12-06-2013, 06:04 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
compass found

Tjompen: Thanks you are correct I should have read the K3 manual as I SHOULD know every thing changes. I found it in the different types of status screen displays. With the OGPS1 working turn the camera in on in bulb, hit the info button twice and then the right 4 way controller 3 times and hit OK and there it is, simple. Now all I have to do is repeat this in the dark cold on the back of a telescope every time I change settings. A plus one for ease of use on the K5. It makes me happy to see it is still there anyhow. I won't get lost in the dark.
Thanks
Hank
12-06-2013, 06:40 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
Many manufacturers include the "do not return. call us" note. They want to avoid unnecessary returns from customers who might have an easily solvable problem.
Yep, that or simple buyer's remorse. Resellers should not have to eat those returns.

The Amazon policy undermines the return policy which both manufacturers and sellers have been trying to educate the public about for years (at least in my industry). I've never seen generally less-informed shoppers than those on Amazon - I get their email every day...

(But Amazon descriptions are full of errors, so it is also a contributing factor).

12-06-2013, 07:10 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
With the OGPS1 working turn the camera in on in bulb, hit the info button twice and then the right 4 way controller 3 times and hit OK and there it is, simple.
You can't be serious? <facepalm>
12-07-2013, 01:36 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Tjompen: Thanks you are correct I should have read the K3 manual as I SHOULD know every thing changes. I found it in the different types of status screen displays. With the OGPS1 working turn the camera in on in bulb, hit the info button twice and then the right 4 way controller 3 times and hit OK and there it is, simple. Now all I have to do is repeat this in the dark cold on the back of a telescope every time I change settings. A plus one for ease of use on the K5. It makes me happy to see it is still there anyhow. I won't get lost in the dark.
Thanks
Hank
With the OGPS1 working turn the camera in on in bulb, hit the info button twice and then the right left 4 way controller 3 times once and hit OK and there it is, simple

Actually I just hit Info / Info / Left / Shutter-half-press. It takes less than a second. AFAIK its the same as with the K-30 but I don't know about the K-5.