Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
12-06-2013, 03:39 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-3 Gray arrived it seems...

So my K-3 body arrived... I just opened the shipping box to pull out (SURPRISE) the K3 Body + Lens Kit box with the kit lens removed.

They obviously split up the kit to match the Amazon price, taking out the lens to sell separately.

1. Is this technically legal?

2. Is there anything I can or even should do about it?

It appears to have everything else... the manual, battery, power cord, body... just an empty space where the lens would be as well as the lens hood I suppose. The right side of the box is empty.

The body did not have any peely protectors on either the main or top display. But I'm not sure if it was supposed to. Hope someone can advise on that part.

It does says RICOH and PENTAX (as opposed to RICOHHH or PENTAXXX nonsense).

Takes a little air out of the sails/sales if you know what I mean.

Should I complain to Amazon? This was sold via their site through a reseller.

12-06-2013, 03:46 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by klkitchens Quote
So my K-3 body arrived... I just opened the shipping box to pull out (SURPRISE) the K3 Body + Lens Kit box with the kit lens removed.

They obviously split up the kit to match the Amazon price, taking out the lens to sell separately.

1. Is this technically legal?

2. Is there anything I can or even should do about it?

It appears to have everything else... the manual, battery, power cord, body... just an empty space where the lens would be as well as the lens hood I suppose. The right side of the box is empty.

The body did not have any peely protectors on either the main or top display. But I'm not sure if it was supposed to. Hope someone can advise on that part.

It does says RICOH and PENTAX (as opposed to RICOHHH or PENTAXXX nonsense).

Takes a little air out of the sails/sales if you know what I mean.

Should I complain to Amazon? This was sold via their site through a reseller.
I don't think you can complain. They haven't delivered anything different than what they promised, correct? Really low-priced deals sometimes involve these kinds of things. Not so bad in your case.

I don't think my K-3 had any peely films on the screens, either, but I couldn't swear to it. Mine definitely was packaged as a body-only, though.
12-06-2013, 03:50 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Check your order history.

Does it say K3 body only or K3 + lens ?
12-06-2013, 03:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Apapukas Quote
Check your order history.

Does it say K3 body only or K3 + lens ?
Body only as I indicated. That's all I ordered and all I expected. Just feel a little violated that they didn't ship me the body only in a body only box.

12-06-2013, 03:55 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Body only as I indicated. That's all I ordered and all I expected. Just feel a little violated that they didn't ship me the body only in a body only box.
You got what you paid for
12-06-2013, 03:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Apapukas Quote
You got what you paid for
Yes and no. It's essentially an "open box" item with missing pieces. I didn't need or want the kit lens, but they should have been up front about what they were doing.

Got a couple of contacts at Ricoh Imaging... just fired off an email to them to see what they think.
12-06-2013, 04:02 PM   #7
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think you should thank them for doing it. They could have just not matched the price; leaving you with either a more expensive camera, or no camera.

12-06-2013, 04:04 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I think you should thank them for doing it. They could have just not matched the price; leaving you with either a more expensive camera, or no camera.
That's pretty twisted logic there.
12-06-2013, 04:06 PM   #9
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

That's pretty twisted logic there.
??

So send it back. Buy one for more money somewhere else with the right box, or do without if it's that big of an issue.
12-06-2013, 04:15 PM   #10

Photos: Albums
My K3 didn't have any peely stuff on it either, just bubble wrap.
12-06-2013, 04:17 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

I don't understand the responses. I agree with the OP.
If I buy a new car without a stereo, I want a car that was assembled without a stereo, not a car where someone just took a crowbar and ripped out the stereo. Because now I dont know if this car was tempered with, what its history is, has anything else been touched, etc.
I would politely ask the store what is going on and I would also notify the Pentax/Ricoh dealer or office (they might not approve of this practice). Depending where you live, there might even be laws about this.

But I would probably also just keep the camera if it works fine and seems unused/untouched. Take a photo and use that software that tells you how many photos the camera has taken - so you can check if you got a used item or not.

lol or go to the store with the box, talk to a clerk who knows nothing about this, and get him to give you the "missing" lens. Or something similar, you know, like the 16-50mm
12-06-2013, 04:19 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I don't understand the responses. I agree with the OP.
If I buy a new car without a stereo, I want a car that was assembled without a stereo, not a car where someone just took a crowbar and ripped out the stereo. Because now I dont know if this car was tempered with, what its history is, has anything else been touched, etc.
WHAT? That is an enormously different situation.
12-06-2013, 04:25 PM - 1 Like   #13
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
If I buy a new car without a stereo, I want a car that was assembled without a stereo, not a car where someone just took a crowbar and ripped out the stereo.
Hardly the same thing. Suppose you wanted a particular car without the optional floor mats and the only one available had them? Something that could be eliminated with no alteration whatsoever? Would you turn it down if the dealer offered to remove them?
12-06-2013, 04:31 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Is "gray" the color or the import status?

Body only as I indicated. That's all I ordered and all I expected.

Then you got what you ordered and "all" you expected.

Just feel a little violated that they didn't ship me the body only in a body only box.
Then why this?
12-06-2013, 04:34 PM   #15
Veteran Member

It amazes me to see the little things that people just hang on and get frustrated with...
Should I send my K-01 back to Adorama because I ordered the body only and they sent a box that obviously had a space for the lens!?
Closed Thread