Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2013, 09:29 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K-3's DNG and native Apple Aperture support - Update?

Has anyone heard of any news or updates for Apple Aperture natively supporting the K-3's DNG files? I understand that there is a workaround with an Adobe conversion tool.

12-06-2013, 10:54 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Apple rarely, if ever, gives any heads-up about release candidates for new camera support, unlike Adobe. When it's out, it's out and everyone learns at the same time. Apple tends to take a longer time to catch up with newer cameras than Adobe, though they can surprise now and then.

Aperture is a good tool; I think it deserves more nimble development and support. There were rumors a year or so ago that Apple would sell it off. Maybe with the release of the new hot Mac Pro models in a few days, they will put Aperture development into a higher gear. A machine like that deserves state-of-the-art graphics and photographic software.

M
12-07-2013, 12:33 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not yet, keeping an eye on software update. The tool your looking for is Adobe DNG converter, free from Adobe. Otherwise you could use Digital Camera Utility 5 that came with the camera. Both mean more steps in the work flow. I am shooting RAW+ to each of the cards, and playing with the JPEGs and waiting for the Apple RAW support to really get into the camera. I am disappointed though. I expect that there was a RAW update at about the same time as the K-3 so Apple missed and we have to wait.
12-07-2013, 01:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AussieTrev Quote
Not yet, keeping an eye on software update. The tool your looking for is Adobe DNG converter, free from Adobe. Otherwise you could use Digital Camera Utility 5 that came with the camera. Both mean more steps in the work flow. I am shooting RAW+ to each of the cards, and playing with the JPEGs and waiting for the Apple RAW support to really get into the camera. I am disappointed though. I expect that there was a RAW update at about the same time as the K-3 so Apple missed and we have to wait.
Is Apple ever there on time? Also, is Apple really still interested in pros? Where are we supposed to put our drives into? External cases? Great, then they will overheat, and it means extra expenditure. Plus it will look messy. Just get a decent PC... the Mac Pro is nothing but a fancy super powerful HTPC to me.

12-07-2013, 03:58 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Has anyone heard of any news or updates for Apple Aperture natively supporting the K-3's DNG files? I understand that there is a workaround with an Adobe conversion tool.
Apparently all we distinguished K-3 owners have that bloody problem. So - I just sent a mixture of an angry and a pleading feedback to Apple on Aperture's missing ability to import K-3 RAW files - here:

Apple - Aperture - Feedback

Please feel free to join this evocative choir! ;-)
12-07-2013, 07:25 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Is Apple ever there on time? Also, is Apple really still interested in pros? Where are we supposed to put our drives into? External cases? Great, then they will overheat, and it means extra expenditure. Plus it will look messy. Just get a decent PC... the Mac Pro is nothing but a fancy super powerful HTPC to me.
Enjoy.
12-07-2013, 07:49 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
Aperture is a good tool; I think it deserves more nimble development and support. There were rumors a year or so ago that Apple would sell it off. Maybe with the release of the new hot Mac Pro models in a few days, they will put Aperture development into a higher gear. A machine like that deserves state-of-the-art graphics and photographic software.

M
Aperture was mentioned during the Mac Pro preview at the last media event. They mentioned that a big name professional photographer had a pre-release Mac Pro with a new version of Aperture designed to take advantage of the enhanced graphics of the Mac Pro and Mavericks. They did not say if this was Aperture X (4) or just the 3.5 update that was released later that day.

Aperture and iPhoto have really become the same product. Aperture is just a more advanced front end than iPhoto, both use the same processing back end. They even use the same library now.

Last edited by boriscleto; 12-07-2013 at 07:55 AM.
12-07-2013, 08:57 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
So we Apple fanboys must hold our breath even more for native K-3 support. Ahhh, well!
12-07-2013, 09:13 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
So we Apple fanboys must hold our breath even more for native K-3 support. Ahhh, well!
To be fair Adobe hasn't added K-3 support to Lightroom either, have they? Since camera manufacturers don't give the necessary info to third parties those companies will probably have to get the cameras themselves first (once they hit the market) and then reverse engineer the files. And after that they can put it into their software, to be released whenever the next release cycle happens. Only problem is that those are less frequent from Apple.

Btw., doesn't the K-3 do DNG? The K-5 did... and if the K-3 can safe to DNG, can't you just use DNG and import that into Aperture?
12-07-2013, 09:43 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Btw., doesn't the K-3 do DNG? The K-5 did... and if the K-3 can safe to DNG, can't you just use DNG and import that into Aperture?
Ricoh did something to DNG in the K-3 that Apple doesn't support, probably something with the new White Balance. You have to use the the adobe DNG converter to convert DNG to DNG and the import it into Aperture.
03-22-2014, 08:07 AM   #11

Apple just updated Aperture camera support and the K3 is there. I used it yesterday and it works well.
03-31-2014, 12:51 PM   #12

I've updated Aperture to the latest version with K3 support. However, all my RAW DNG files when imported look very very dark. Strangely during the import preview they look fine, but once fully imported and selected VERY DARK like 3-4 stops underexposed. I've then taken some shots in PEF RAW and they look fine. No such issues with RAW DNG files from my K5IIs. Anyone else experienced this?

Thanks
Phil
03-31-2014, 01:08 PM   #13

I have the same issue. I have never used PEF before. I am new to RAW. Noone seems to have an answer for this.
03-31-2014, 01:13 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do your original images give no preview in the finder? I find that those from my K-3 don't preview until after I've put them through Adobe Camera Raw, but those from the earlier cameras (and the Q) were able to be previewed from the start. I'm running the latest version of Mavericks on my iMac.
03-31-2014, 01:25 PM   #15

I get a preview when I look at them in the camera.