Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2013, 12:02 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Lockups?

I am very happy with my K-3 after two weeks and a couple thousand pictures. However, I have had a couple random lock ups when the camera would not function until the battery was removed. I did not think much of the first one but this morning the screen and control buttons froze - no grip. Oddly, I was able to fire the shutter several times while it was in this condition. I had changed lenses several shots before the lock up. Camera was off when I changed the lens. Had been trying out an old Sigma 75-300 which worked very well and focused quickly and accurately. I then put the 60-250 on. Took a couple of pictures and it locked up. I do remember other variables. Once the battery was removed all was well. Battery icon showed full battery. Anyone else have these?

12-07-2013, 12:15 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
I am very happy with my K-3 after two weeks and a couple thousand pictures. However, I have had a couple random lock ups when the camera would not function until the battery was removed. I did not think much of the first one but this morning the screen and control buttons froze - no grip. Oddly, I was able to fire the shutter several times while it was in this condition. I had changed lenses several shots before the lock up. Camera was off when I changed the lens. Had been trying out an old Sigma 75-300 which worked very well and focused quickly and accurately. I then put the 60-250 on. Took a couple of pictures and it locked up. I do remember other variables. Once the battery was removed all was well. Battery icon showed full battery. Anyone else have these?
They happen from time to time- on many Pentaxes as well as other cameras. Normally either low voltage or some sort of internal bug is to blame; the latter is usually addressed via firmware updates and so with the latest updates, you can expect your camera to run more smoothly. I'm sure firmware 1.01 for the k-3 will include stability improvements

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-07-2013, 03:05 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think every DSLR will lock up once or twice in the first few months, unfortunately.
Hopefully the issue disappears on its own. Otherwise it might be smart to look at buying a secondary battery (from a reliable brand) or something. But I wouldn't worry about it unless its a regular occurance
02-03-2014, 11:09 PM   #4

My K-3 locked up today also after changing lenses. Having the battery grip on, I had to take out the grip battery, unscrew the battery grip, and take out the camera battery. Very frustrating! Placed batteries back in and works fine! I downloaded the version 1.01 tonight to see if that will help. Anyone else having this problem?

02-03-2014, 11:14 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Your dslr is a lot more computer than camera. Fluctuations in voltage can do funny things. Stability fixes are a routine inclusion of firmware updates. Unless there's a compelling reason not to, you should always update to the latest firmware.