Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2013, 03:49 AM   #1

Where can the number of shots/exposures be seen?

Having trouble finding the place in the menu (where I suppose it's situated) where the total number of previous shots/exposures can be seen. That is, all the shots in the cameras lifetime.

Does somebody know?

Last edited by Ztrejfer; 12-08-2013 at 04:02 AM.
12-08-2013, 04:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Unless I am missing something, you can't see the number of previous shots directly, unless you go into PLAY mode, then zoom out one step until you can see the image folders, and select a folder of images. You should see a total of the number of saved images in each folder.

You can, however, easily see the number of REMAINING shots in the bottom right corner of the top LCD, the bottom left corner of the rear LCD status screen, and also in the top right corner of the INFO display on the rear LCD.

Other than going into PLAY mode, the number of previous shots is a calculation you may have to make yourself, depending on the size of the SD card and how many free shots it displayed when you first put it into the camera. If you started with 1000 shots available, and you have 300 remaining ...
12-08-2013, 04:17 AM   #3

Original Poster
Oh, that's not what I mean, excuse me for causing confusing. What I'm after is the total number of shots the camera has taken in its whole lifetime - as a measure of how much it's been used.

The reason I ask is that I've seen cameras for sale that has announced "14.636 exposures" on its back - and I wonder where they got that number from. I assume they are all counted over time somewhere in the cameras software and be accessed...?
12-08-2013, 04:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ztrejfer Quote
the total number of shots the camera has taken in its whole lifetime
That's easy:

Check Shutter Count & Camera Manufacture Date Online - EXIF Reader

or download EXIFTOOL and use it to have a look at all of the EXIF data in your images:
ExifTool by Phil Harvey

12-08-2013, 04:54 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is also PhotoMe that can be downloaded from....The data you are looking for is not really available via the menu system of the camera body. The shutter count is a field within what is called the EXIF area of the image file. The image file has a data section that provides a wealth of data which includes the shutter count, date of manufacturer, temperature of the camera, etc. Run PhotoME, and then just drag the image into the utility, and all of the data is displayed. Down at the bottom is a search bar to make finding a data item easy. Just enter shutter and it will be filtered and displayed for you.

12-08-2013, 05:18 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I recommend PhotoME because it's a simple Windows excecutable and because you can easiliy edit you EXIF data here (a useful feature if you use old, manual lenses, if you have had your date and time set wrong etc.).

To spell out what you should do: Open your last picture in PhotoME; Click Manufacturers Notes and scroll down to the bottom of that sectioon:
Attached Images

12-08-2013, 07:20 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
I recommend PhotoME because it's a simple Windows excecutable and because you can easiliy edit you EXIF data here.
Appears to work only for the Pentax older models. I could not get PhotoME to show the shutter count and some other parameters with a K-30 or K-500. Am I doing something wrong?

12-08-2013, 08:04 AM   #8

Original Poster
OK, thanks for the answers. I have a MacBook Pro and tried the EXIF Reader - but I have not really learned how to work in Terminal, so I'll just pass on this one.

Thanks anyway!
12-08-2013, 10:41 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tomwil Quote
Appears to work only for the Pentax older models. I could not get PhotoME to show the shutter count and some other parameters with a K-30 or K-500. Am I doing something wrong?
Are you trying to look at a jpg or raw file? Jpg should work, but raw may not, especially if it's a png.
12-08-2013, 11:08 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Try ExifToolGUI to make life easier using ExifTool.
12-08-2013, 04:49 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

try this worked for me on k3

This is from Adam on our forms
Check Shutter Count & Camera Manufacture Date Online - EXIF Reader
Hank
12-12-2013, 10:08 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Are you trying to look at a jpg or raw file? Jpg should work, but raw may not, especially if it's a png.
I use JPG, and the Manufacturer Notes info is all scrambled in PhotoME. Appears Ricoh/Pentax changed the EXIF format in the newer models, and PhotoME has not been updated to compensate for the change.
12-12-2013, 05:28 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tomwil Quote
I use JPG, and the Manufacturer Notes info is all scrambled in PhotoME.
Neither Exiftool, or the Pentaxforums EXIF reader service linked above, have that problem.

PhotoMe is ghost-ship software nowadays, unfortunately.