Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
12-10-2013, 06:19 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Steelski Quote
I am a K20D Shooter who is indeed thinking of the K3, its replacement
Just for the faster AF, better low light AF, and the smooth shutter sound, it would be a valuable upgrade. I can say that, as much as I loved my K20D, the K-3 is better in every way.

12-12-2013, 08:04 AM   #17
Inactive Account

K3 & Lightroom 5

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
You probably won't see many wedding pros using a K-3 until the major commercial photo tools used by most wedding photographers (eg Adobe ACR/Lightroom, Aperture, DxO, and Capture One) start directly supporting the K-3. It may take until early 2014 before they are all 'K-3 compatible'.
Adobe Lightroom now supports the K3 along with a few other cameras so thats good news for everyone, not just wedding togs.
12-12-2013, 08:15 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Not the most artistic image, but I think this shows the flash on the k3 has been improved.

K3, Pentax DA* 50-135, Metz Flash
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
12-12-2013, 08:24 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Despite this image looking bright, it was not great light wise in the church. K3, DA* 50-135, all natural light at ISO 3200. During the day the K3 worked very well, I certainly did not miss the K5lls even though it is still a good camera.

Attached Images

12-12-2013, 07:36 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fletcher Davies Quote
Not the most artistic image, but I think this shows the flash on the k3 has been improved.

K3, Pentax DA* 50-135, Metz Flash
I agree, the flash has been improved. I'm not afraid to use PTTL any more.
Having said that, I still fall back to manual because I know what I'm getting. All these years of horrible PTTL has improved my manual flash skills...

I did shoot a wedding for the first time last month. It shot it with the K-3, and it was amazing. I wouldn't be afraid of shooting another event with it again. Weddings however scare me.
03-06-2014, 08:56 PM   #21

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"If I only have some change..." (paraphrassing Tin Man), I'll opt for a K-5II. Yes, it has slighty less resolution than IIS and less than K-3. But brides may not need imperfections that sharply displayed and moire is minimized by default, no matter the illumination (in theory).
03-07-2014, 04:00 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sharepointalex Quote
Hi Guys,

I'm a Wedding Photographer with my own photography business (AJC Photography. I wouldn't call myself a Wedding Photography 'pro' by any means but I shot my first wedding as the official photographer earlier this year, you can see the photos here - Clients, these were shot with a Pentax K-r and everyone involved was very pleased with the results!

I have paid bookings for next year where I will be using my new Pentax K-3 along with my K-r as a backup/second body. The enhanced low light performance, better AF, dual slots etc will mean I can get much better shots than I ever could before. I see no reason why a number of Pentax bodies can't be used for Wedding Photography if i'm honest, as I said I shot a whole wedding on a k-r and that is essentially an entry level DSLR!

The only thing I am going to have to consider is what to do about flash - I currently use a Bell & Howell flash which works well with my K-r but doesn't play too nicely with the K-3 so i'll need to invest in 1 or 2 new flashes.

Cheers

Alex
I've found the Metz 58 F2 works perfectly with the Pentax K-3 without missing a beat and if you use the Sanyo Eneloop batteries you'll get good life from each charge.

03-18-2014, 11:04 AM   #23
Inactive Account

i thought this threat was about the k3 marrying another camera
10-10-2014, 11:03 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The best Mode for wedding shooting????

Hello,
With the K3, I was just wondering which of the Modes people thought was best to shoot all/most of a wedding on. I am used to shooting landscapes and sunrises and shoot most of those on Radiant, Vibrant or Landscape. When I do a portrait shoot, I will use the Portrait Mode, but shooting a variety of wedding shots (inc groups, story shots and ports) I was trying to get the best all round Mode.
Look forward to your answers and assistance.

Phil T.
10-10-2014, 11:42 PM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by Phil Thomson IPA Quote
Hello,
With the K3, I was just wondering which of the Modes people thought was best to shoot all/most of a wedding on. I am used to shooting landscapes and sunrises and shoot most of those on Radiant, Vibrant or Landscape. When I do a portrait shoot, I will use the Portrait Mode, but shooting a variety of wedding shots (inc groups, story shots and ports) I was trying to get the best all round Mode.
Look forward to your answers and assistance.

Phil T.
You should be shooting in RAW. Those modes don't make any difference.
10-12-2014, 02:41 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zode1 Quote
You should be shooting in RAW. Those modes don't make any difference.
I am shooting in RAW all the time, and it does make a noticeable difference using the different Modes.
10-12-2014, 09:11 PM   #27
rfg

I am shooting in RAW all the time, and it does make a noticeable difference using the different Modes.
What software are you using? If the Pentax software then it will apply the jpeg settings when you open the raw file, as a starting point. Lightroom on the other hand doesn't for pentax (at least my LR 4 doesnt). Of course if you just view the embedded jpeg the camera settings do matter.
10-12-2014, 09:16 PM - 1 Like   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Phil, you must be viewing the JPEG thumbnail that gets generated in the RAW preview.
10-12-2014, 10:41 PM - 2 Likes   #29
Veteran Member

Pentax pro here. I just shot another wedding yesterday with my K-3 and it has been blowing me away with how good it is. P-ttl is very accurate and consistent. My lighting looks great indoors and out. My wife's canon 40d (I know, old model) couldn't focus in the dark reception, but my Pentax was locking focus without a problem. I couldn't even see the subject in the viewfinder but the camera nailed it. I'm out of town now, but I'll post some shots when I get home in a few days. Skin tones look really good on this sensor as well. I'm just thrilled with how it performed.
10-14-2014, 02:38 AM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

I shared my experience in this thread :https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/271569-wedding-shots-k-3-sigma-18-35-a.html