Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2013, 09:48 PM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Oaxaca, Mexico; Shohola PA, USA
Posts: 219
How good is the K-3's AF-C tracking AF?

This site did an informal test. Has anyone done more formal testing? What has been your experience in the field?

12-08-2013, 11:18 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Bob from Aus's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,080
I still can't work out what all the jargon means between normal focusing and live view.
On U1 I have programed AF.C and SEL for the centre spot. I think I am getting a three times better hit rate for flying birds than with the K5. The good part is I can program the auto focus settings I want for flying birds. With the older cameras I was turning switches all over the place working between still subjects and moving ones. Still not sure if I have the best settings for flying birds.
12-09-2013, 05:57 AM   #3
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Philadelphia, Pa
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 763
My K3 stomps my K5IIs at tracking BIF and dogs running. Very happy with that performance area of the K3.
12-09-2013, 09:13 AM   #4
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Oaxaca, Mexico; Shohola PA, USA
Posts: 219
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
I still can't work out what all the jargon means between normal focusing and live view.
On U1 I have programed AF.C and SEL for the centre spot. I think I am getting a three times better hit rate for flying birds than with the K5. The good part is I can program the auto focus settings I want for flying birds. With the older cameras I was turning switches all over the place working between still subjects and moving ones. Still not sure if I have the best settings for flying birds.
Sounds good. Can the AF settings be saved in a User Mode?

I'd guess that there will be a learning curve figuring out how to use the new tracking options for different situations.

12-09-2013, 09:16 AM   #5
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Oaxaca, Mexico; Shohola PA, USA
Posts: 219
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GaryH Quote
My K3 stomps my K5IIs at tracking BIF and dogs running. Very happy with that performance area of the K3.
That is encouraging. One of my usual subjects is street puppies that my wife rescues and find homes for.

Which lenses are you using for BIF and dogs?
12-09-2013, 03:09 PM   #6
Pentaxian
Bob from Aus's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,080
QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Charles Quote
Sounds good. Can the AF settings be saved in a User Mode?
Hi Jeff - The AF settings can be saved in the user modes. I suspect MF isn't saved and the switch may need to be on AF, but I haven't tried. You can use which every AF combination you want plus the other settings.
12-09-2013, 03:41 PM   #7
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Philadelphia, Pa
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 763
QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Charles Quote
That is encouraging. One of my usual subjects is street puppies that my wife rescues and find homes for.

Which lenses are you using for BIF and dogs?
I bought the 55-300mm WR at the same time as the K3 and it really does well at BIF shots. In fact that is the lens that I tested on both cameras to come to that conclusion. Headed back to Dallas hopefully tomorrow and am bringing a couple of different lenses that I can test. Pretty nasty here right now in downtown Philly......
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
dslr, k-3, k3, pentax k-3
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-3's AF.C with Focus priority. skyer Pentax K-3 18 12-11-2014 05:44 PM
K-3 DA* 60-250 AF Tracking Sample Shot Sequence Sports for your analysis Rudy Pentax K-3 13 11-21-2013 09:55 PM
K-5 AF.S / AF.C / MF switch defective? DSK5 Pentax K-5 7 04-06-2012 05:05 PM
How many users set the focus point and use AF.S/AF.C? Kricket Pentax K-r 40 11-22-2011 09:51 AM
Pentax K-x: focus confirmation in AF-S, AF-C, not AF-A manteiv Pentax DSLR Discussion 24 12-10-2010 07:25 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:35 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top