Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2013, 12:10 AM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Albums
Focus Problem? WHAT focus problem??!

Took my brand new silver edition K-3 out for a spin on the beach today with my fav girl to photograph… put simply, this camera rocks my world!!! It was pretty dark, so shot at iso 800-- clarity that makes me want to cry!! Did I miss focus on a few? Sure. I always do! Was I disappointed to find grain & noise when I had to bring up underexposed shots a bit? NO!!! Was shooting at iso 800 even any kind of an issue?? Double NO!!

Moving from a k-30 to this fine beast is nothing but pure pleasure!

A couple of shots:

Crop to show focus, clarity & detail:

12-09-2013, 12:53 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
great shots!
yes totally agree.......
12-09-2013, 04:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Looks fine to me, also, I can see you in the second shots :P

Love her hair, very pretty girl.
12-09-2013, 05:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Really great shots - the beautiful model and the great framing. Thanks for sharing. This ought to alleviate some fears

12-09-2013, 07:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Nailed it!
12-09-2013, 08:52 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My only question is how well the K-3 does at higher ISOs. Take a few in low light at ISO 3200, 6400, and 12,800. Make sure the camera is rock steady, say, on a tripod, to ensure sharpness. Stationary target is fine, so that a long shutter speed will work. Examine the RAWs for, especially, noise. Whatever the noise, and there will be some, how well does it clean up in PP (say, Lightroom)? And does it clean up as easily as the K-5iis?

By the way, I expect this project done by tomorrow morning, 8:00am, or you're in big trouble.
12-09-2013, 09:09 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sholtzma Quote
My only question is how well the K-3 does at higher ISOs. Take a few in low light at ISO 3200, 6400, and 12,800. Make sure the camera is rock steady, say, on a tripod, to ensure sharpness. Stationary target is fine, so that a long shutter speed will work. Examine the RAWs for, especially, noise. Whatever the noise, and there will be some, how well does it clean up in PP (say, Lightroom)? And does it clean up as easily as the K-5iis?

By the way, I expect this project done by tomorrow morning, 8:00am, or you're in big trouble.
You go right ahead and do that! LOL. I can't think of a time when I would ever NEED to take shots at anything above 1600… and the ones I have taken at that iso so far have been amazing. I'm not worried about high iso noise. I'm just not. For me it's a tool for artistry, not a tool for taking shots of focus test charts.

12-09-2013, 11:40 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alwaysmichellerene Quote
I can't think of a time when I would ever NEED to take shots at anything above 1600
Photographing a rock concert with no flash allowed and godawful lighting, trying to maintain a decent depth of field, and minimal blur as they're moving around the stage (or even just moving their hands on their instruments)?
12-09-2013, 11:47 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I understand. YOU don't need to take any high ISO shots, given your photography. But quite a few of us do need that capability. It is the main reason I got the K-5. I don't want to take any steps backwards in the K-3.

Now, get to work on that project I assigned you....
12-09-2013, 12:12 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Photographing a rock concert with no flash allowed and godawful lighting, trying to maintain a decent depth of field, and minimal blur as they're moving around the stage (or even just moving their hands on their instruments)?

See this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/244940-sharpness-k-3-totally-sucks.html
12-09-2013, 12:40 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Very nice shots, and I am very glad that you are happy with your new Pentax. I do not want to be a wet blanket, but I have to ask as I am a little confused. What is it about those shots that your K-30 couldn't have done just as well?

Beautiful subject BTW.
12-09-2013, 12:52 PM   #12

I don't see a focus issue with my K3 either, this is Shadow.. our yard panther.
Attached Images

12-09-2013, 01:30 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
Very nice shots, and I am very glad that you are happy with your new Pentax. I do not want to be a wet blanket, but I have to ask as I am a little confused. What is it about those shots that your K-30 couldn't have done just as well?

Beautiful subject BTW.
Clarity & detail. With my k-30, a 100% crop would result in grain & loss of detail at this iso.
12-09-2013, 01:32 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I was quoting Michelle's comment that she couldn't think of a time when you'd need an ISO higher than 1600. Your link was at ISO 9000. If you'd taken it at 1600, you'd have had to slow the shutter speed down to… what, like 1/4 second to get the same exposure? Or is my math completely off?

Maybe Michelle never needs to take anything with an ISO over 1600, but many people do.

This was the first thread I'd seen even mentioning anything about a K3 focus problem… since I wussed out and didn't buy one I haven't been paying much attention.
12-09-2013, 01:44 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
I was quoting Michelle's comment that she couldn't think of a time when you'd need an ISO higher than 1600. Your link was at ISO 9000. If you'd taken it at 1600, you'd have had to slow the shutter speed down to… what, like 1/4 second to get the same exposure? Or is my math completely off?

Maybe Michelle never needs to take anything with an ISO over 1600, but many people do.

This was the first thread I'd seen even mentioning anything about a K3 focus problem… since I wussed out and didn't buy one I haven't been paying much attention.
Okay, let me clarify. I can't think of a situation where *I* would need to use a setting higher than 1600 (without a flash). And if I did, it would probably be a moody portrait where a little grain would only add to the look anyway. Not photographing unlit midnight boxing matches any time soon… With my k-30, I can get great, sharp shots at 100-400 iso, but the camera also tends to underexpose & 800+ shots missed focus a lot. Bringing up exposure was always problematic for me, causing grain & loss of detail.