Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-09-2013, 07:35 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm getting better colors out of ACDSee Pro 7 instead of Adobe Lightroom using DNG. Since I'm new to Lightroom, not having a profile may explain the frustration I've been experiencing with the DNG files.
I also have color checker (came bundled with my color calibrator). Will that resolve not having a color profile? Does the camera profile do more than set the color? ie sharpness, etc.

12-09-2013, 08:20 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It is just irritating the white balance often comes out looking greenish in color. I don't really care about the multiple different camera options. Just one standard Adobe one would work and I could go from there...
12-09-2013, 08:27 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I purchased the huelight profile for my K-5 and thought it did a great job. I just noticed they have one for the K-3 available now which I'll definitely be buying once I unwrap my xmas pressie
12-09-2013, 09:39 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I purchased the huelight profile for my K-5 and thought it did a great job. I just noticed they have one for the K-3 available now which I'll definitely be buying once I unwrap my xmas pressie
Hmm, never heard of 'em. Worth trying for $10. I assume that just stays in LR as another profile once the official Adobe one comes along?

12-09-2013, 09:44 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Hmm, never heard of 'em. Worth trying for $10. I assume that just stays in LR as another profile once the official Adobe one comes along?
Yes, and those are the ones I was talking about above. They are likely better than the Adobe ones...
12-09-2013, 09:47 PM   #21

Original Poster
I suppose that many of us like the colour rendition of Pentax jpegs out of the cameras (I'm talking not only about K-3 here). At least the colours of jpegs look better than the colours from DNG/PEFs in Lightroom by default.
Sure, any default output from a raw file should be regarded as a starting point but isn't it better to have more than just a one colour profile to choose from on which we can set our starting point? If professional photographers shooting Canon/Nikon find it as an advantage why don't we also ask Adobe for such profiles too?
Come on, let's write something to Adobe!
12-10-2013, 03:03 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Yes they do (there were 3 of them you get for the $10 from Huelight for the K-5, "High", "Low", "Standard"). For the K-5 I found them much better than the Adobe ones. Whether that's true for the K-3 I can't be 100% sure, but it's likely.

12-10-2013, 04:30 AM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by Jan67 Quote
I have installed trial version of the DXO 9, but it doesn't recognize DNG from K3.
If I check for available modules, there is no K3 in the Pentax group.
As far I know, K3 support is planned for January 2014.

Can you tell me, how did you suceed to read DNG in DXO 9?
Yes this already mention / listed in their website full support until jan 2014
12-10-2013, 05:17 AM   #24

I have create one and will sell in USD10 please see the link X Pentax K-3 Camera Profile For Lightroom & Camera RAW — Ken Tam|Photographer|Corporate Photographer|Fashion Photographer|China|Hong Kong|Macau
12-10-2013, 07:24 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Ok, I bought and installed the K-3 profiles from Huelight. Be advised, if you are on a Mac with LR5, installation is different from what the included instructions will say. LR5 changed it's program structure and will require you to run an executable on the command line of your Mac in order to make a normally hidden library show up for you. I was also advised to upgrade to LR 5.3RC (from 5.2) to make the profiles show up. Having done all this, they did finally show up.

Since there is no default Adobe K-3 profile yet, it's hard to say how these will compare and I have not yet experimented with them sufficiently to say how good I think they are. However, I do like that you get 3 of them for various types of photography. Also, they actually don't say K-3 in the profile drop-down box. They say "Huelight CF Standard/High/Low V30" I'm going to write back to the guy to make sure that is correct.

One more thing, when I was hunting down LR version 5.3RC I saw the list of new cameras it supports. K-3 is not on there. I've read that it will be supported, so maybe it's just not in there yet, but just thought I'd mention that.
12-10-2013, 07:48 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Those profile names are the same as for the Huelight K-5 profiles, nothing to worry about.
Hmmm, they even say "V30"? I wonder if these are even any different from the K-5 ones then. Could they just be a default Pentax profile?

read that although 5.3RC doesn't have K-3 included, the "final" 5.3 will. Not sure if that's true though.
Yeah, I think that will probably turn out to be the case, but here I was thinking that a fully-baked 5.3 will be released any day with a proper K-3 profile, and the fact that it's not in there yet makes me wonder how long it will be.

I've played around with these profiles a little already and I'm pretty well liking what I'm seeing so far.
12-10-2013, 07:51 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Hmmm, they even say "V30"? I wonder if these are even any different from the K-5 ones then. Could they just be a default Pentax profile?
The K-5 one I got had "V16" from memory. No idea what that refers to though. I also can't remember if I can apply those K-5 profiles to my K-x RAW files, I'll check tonight.

Can you apply those K-3 profiles to your K-5 RAWs?
12-10-2013, 08:00 PM   #28
Veteran Member

The K-5 one I got had "V16" from memory. No idea what that refers to though. I also can't remember if I can apply those K-5 profiles to my K-x RAW files, I'll check tonight.

Can you apply those K-3 profiles to your K-5 RAWs?
Nope, just checked, so there goes that theory. I guess they are camera-specific.
12-11-2013, 02:01 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi,

I bought the profile yestaerday and did not receive anything yet. I sent an email to Colin and I've got an error from AOL.
So basically I cant reach him.

Im gald it works for you, at least I know it's not a fake.

DimC

EDIT : Just receive the profile.

Last edited by DimC; 12-11-2013 at 02:28 AM.
12-11-2013, 03:31 AM   #30

Hi Guys,

So in summary do you think these Huelight profiles are worth it? I'm thinking about purchasing them as i'm not holding much hope of Adobe's one being very good. I'm pretty sure you can export the profile from a PEF and load it into Lightroom? I'm sure I did this for my Pentax K-r years ago. Saying that it never looked the same as the embedded one that LR shows you before reverting back to a flat dng.

Cheers

Alex