Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-11-2013, 06:04 AM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by sharepointalex Quote
Hi Guys,

So in summary do you think these Huelight profiles are worth it? I'm thinking about purchasing them as i'm not holding much hope of Adobe's one being very good. I'm pretty sure you can export the profile from a PEF and load it into Lightroom? I'm sure I did this for my Pentax K-r years ago. Saying that it never looked the same as the embedded one that LR shows you before reverting back to a flat dng.

Cheers

Alex
I never use the lightroom profile, and I don't know why they are far from the embedded profile.

I use my own profile even with the GRD DNG

12-11-2013, 07:54 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Guys,

So in summary do you think these Huelight profiles are worth it? I'm thinking about purchasing them as i'm not holding much hope of Adobe's one being very good. I'm pretty sure you can export the profile from a PEF and load it into Lightroom? I'm sure I did this for my Pentax K-r years ago. Saying that it never looked the same as the embedded one that LR shows you before reverting back to a flat dng.

Cheers

Alex
I never bought a Lr camera profile, just did because of frustration to not have one yet in Lr5.

To be honest I thought with a profile I'd be able to see previews when importing, and have a better AWB and better Auto Color correction in order to save me a lot of time.
I know "Auto" is bad but I thought it works pretty good with the K5 in Lr4.4 and it was a good basis for some fine tuning.

So far the Profile I bought didn't help in theses domains
I think it's a misundersanding on my end but I wanted to let you guys know.

The color correction when using either 3 of the Hue Profile are very subtle, I dont know what to think so far...
12-11-2013, 08:17 AM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by DimC Quote
I never bought a Lr camera profile, just did because of frustration to not have one yet in Lr5.

To be honest I thought with a profile I'd be able to see previews when importing, and have a better AWB and better Auto Color correction in order to save me a lot of time.
I know "Auto" is bad but I thought it works pretty good with the K5 in Lr4.4 and it was a good basis for some fine tuning.

So far the Profile I bought didn't help in theses domains
I think it's a misundersanding on my end but I wanted to let you guys know.

The color correction when using either 3 of the Hue Profile are very subtle, I dont know what to think so far...
Ok thanks. I guess i'm really looking for a profile which replicates that of the one that is embedded in the DNG i.e. before LR just shows you a flat dng file. Can you get this one out somehow? I'm sure I've done this before somehow. So when applying any of those Huelight profiles do you notice much of a difference in the image?

Cheers
12-11-2013, 10:24 AM   #34
Veteran Member

So in summary do you think these Huelight profiles are worth it?
They're just ten bucks, not a whole lot at risk.

pretty sure you can export the profile from a PEF and load it into Lightroom? I'm sure I did this for my Pentax K-r years ago.
That's definitely not how it works with more current versions of LR, particularly 4.3 and 5.X, or at least not how I was instructed to do it. Don't know why I would have been instructed to do the considerably more complicated method that I was if I could have just done that.

12-11-2013, 10:42 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Just saw that I had an email from Colin. He saw my posts here and wanted to confirm that the profiles are made specifically for the K-3. He said he would incorporate the K-3 name into future profile names when he updates them, and, btw, updates are free and sent to you automatically when available. It's not as big of a deal since we have confirmed that the profiles are loaded by LR only for the body that they apply to, but I still think having the K-3 label in the profile name seems better somehow.
12-11-2013, 12:30 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Is the colour profile the only thing being referred to when calling for Adobe to provide a K-3 profile or is there more to it?

BTW I have just purchased and installed the HueLight profiles.
12-11-2013, 12:52 PM   #37

Original Poster
Yes, I referred only to the colour profiles.
I think that Adobe's colour profiles can be much more precise than any custom profiles an average consumer can create with his/her ColorChecker palette.

12-11-2013, 02:39 PM   #38
Veteran Member

There's a couple of interesting color accuracy charts at the K-3 review Pentax K-3 - Photo Review
12-11-2013, 04:04 PM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
They're just ten bucks, not a whole lot at risk.

That's definitely not how it works with more current versions of LR, particularly 4.3 and 5.X, or at least not how I was instructed to do it. Don't know why I would have been instructed to do the considerably more complicated method that I was if I could have just done that.
Ok maybe i'm getting confused here - are we talking about the Camera Calibration profiles within LR?

Cheers
12-11-2013, 04:19 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Ok maybe i'm getting confused here - are we talking about the Camera Calibration profiles within LR?

Cheers
Yes, though they are sometimes also referred to as color profiles. It's possible that the method to install has just changed considerably since you did it, on the newer versions of LR anyway. I know for sure that 4.3 and any version of 5 is different from older versions. I would guess that the versions in between there are also different.
12-11-2013, 04:24 PM   #41

Yes, though they are sometimes also referred to as color profiles. It's possible that the method to install has just changed considerably since you did it, on the newer versions of LR anyway. I know for sure that 4.3 and any version of 5 is different from older versions. I would guess that the versions in between there are also different.
Ok cool thanks for clarifying. I'll probably purchase the Huelight profiles then for now as it's so annoying on first import seeing the jpeg preview then it just reverts to a flat dng. I know that is meant to be a starting point as someone said earlier but it could be a lot better as a base.

Cheers
12-11-2013, 04:36 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Well, you still won't get the jpeg preview until Adobe's profile comes out. Also, LR insists on choosing which of the profiles I now have installed to default to, and it's not the one I would choose. Anyone know how to change that?
12-11-2013, 04:46 PM - 1 Like   #43
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by skyer Quote
Adobe's colour profiles can be much more precise than any custom profiles an average consumer can create with his/her ColorChecker palette
Really, interestingly enough, if an image contains a decent sized X-Rite Colour Checker Passport in it, Lightroom can auto create a unique profile from that, specific for those conditions at that time.
12-11-2013, 05:13 PM - 1 Like   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Also, LR insists on choosing which of the profiles I now have installed to default to, and it's not the one I would choose. Anyone know how to change that?
First get all the Develop module settings the way you desire. Then hold down the option/Alt key. Note that the Reset button at the bottom right has changed to Set Default. Click on Reset and the setting should stick.

M
12-11-2013, 05:32 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Yes you can change that, along with all the sliders and settings (for example have default sharpening on 60 and masking on 70). I can't remember the menu option but it's something like the "default camera options" in the menu bar.
Yeah, thanks, I googled it and found out how to do it. I think I'm going to wait a while to set a default, though, until I'm more familiar with the profiles (including the eventual Adobe one). But yes, you are on the right track.