Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-09-2013, 01:11 PM   #1

ACTION NEEDED! Lightroom Profiles for K-3.

Now Adobe doesn't officially support Pentax K-3 files. Adobe must be calibrating K-3 at the moment in order to include its colour profile in newer versions of Lightroom along with profiles with other new cameras.
As far as I know Adobe Camera Raw has more than a one profile for professional Canon and Nikon cameras. Pentax cameras get only single profiles.
I would like to ask all Adobe and Pentax users to write a letter to Adobe asking them to create numerous profiles for Pentax K-3. I assume that more than a one profile will not only make our experience with Adobe products much more comfortable but it will also press Adobe staff to make the profiles more precise. I think that many of Pentax users aren't happy with default colours that ACR delivers to Pentax images. So now it's a good time to claim our demand!

12-09-2013, 01:16 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Somebody around here made some pretty good profiles for K-5, etc. Hopefully they will make some for K-3. There is also a third-party place that usually makes good profiles, can't remember the link though...
12-09-2013, 01:28 PM   #3
Banned

Photos: Gallery
What version of LightRoom are we talking about?
12-09-2013, 01:34 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lightroom, Lightroom, Lightroom - does anybody know that there are other raw editors out there?

DxO v9 has support for the K-3 raw files.

Supported equipment | www.dxo.com

12-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by skyer Quote
Now Adobe doesn't officially support Pentax K-3 files. Adobe must be calibrating K-3 at the moment in order to include its colour profile in newer versions of Lightroom along with profiles with other new cameras.
As far as I know Adobe Camera Raw has more than a one profile for professional Canon and Nikon cameras. Pentax cameras get only single profiles.
I would like to ask all Adobe and Pentax users to write a letter to Adobe asking them to create numerous profiles for Pentax K-3. I assume that more than a one profile will not only make our experience with Adobe products much more comfortable but it will also press Adobe staff to make the profiles more precise. I think that many of Pentax users aren't happy with default colours that ACR delivers to Pentax images. So now it's a good time to claim our demand!
LR 5.3 RC will process K-3 DNG's, but I don't know about PEFs. Although there's not yet an Adobe Standard profile for the K-3, LR can process DNGs using the profiles embedded in the DNGs.

Canon and Nikon DSLRs do have multiple profiles, which I understand to be Adobe's interpretations of the in-camera JPEG profiles. I don't believe they've done it for any other brands. I'm also not sure how valuable it is, considering that there should hopefully be user-developed profiles for the K-3 soon.
12-09-2013, 02:05 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I took advantage of the Adobe Photoshop\Lightroom CC offer last week and I've been struggling with the color. I'm shooting DNG. I mentioned this to one of my friends and he mentioned that I should change the profile, but when I look, there's only one profile.

Is this what we're taking about?

Lightroom Newbie.
12-09-2013, 02:09 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 7samurai Quote
Yes, best explained by Jeff Charles above:
QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Charles Quote
Canon and Nikon DSLRs do have multiple profiles, which I understand to be Adobe's interpretations of the in-camera JPEG profiles.
As a Canon shooter I find the Adobe profile facsimiles to be surprisingly useful. It's better to have choices. According to Adobe, LR 5.3 will have the basic one for the K-3, thus allowing direct import of PEF files among other things.

M

12-09-2013, 02:27 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by 7samurai Quote
I took advantage of the Adobe Photoshop\Lightroom CC offer last week and I've been struggling with the color. I'm shooting DNG. I mentioned this to one of my friends and he mentioned that I should change the profile, but when I look, there's only one profile.

Lightroom Newbie.
Adobe develops a camera-specific profile for every camera it supports. Although it's called "Adobe Standard", it is camera specific. In Lightroom 5.3 RC (ACR 8.3 RC), there's no Adobe Standard profile in the drop down for the K-3, because it has not been developed yet.
12-09-2013, 02:50 PM   #9
Unregistered User

I read somewhere that the K-3 would be part of the ACR 8.3/Lightroom 5.3 release when it is final which it will be before the end of december so I guess during next week,
12-09-2013, 02:53 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
According to Adobe, LR 5.3 will have the basic one for the K-3, thus allowing direct import of PEF files among other things.
Did they happen to say when we can expect that?

I've always been pretty pleased with the profile that Adobe has provided for Pentax bodies. I have found it to be an excellent starting place and in fact, I rarely have felt the need to alter the colors.
12-09-2013, 03:06 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Did they happen to say when we can expect that?
It was a reply by the product manager in the Adobe Forum, and no specific date was given. My guess is any day.

M
12-09-2013, 03:10 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
My guess is any day.
Today would be lovely.
12-09-2013, 03:49 PM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Lightroom, Lightroom, Lightroom - does anybody know that there are other raw editors out there?

DxO v9 has support for the K-3 raw files.

Supported equipment | www.dxo.com
I have installed trial version of the DXO 9, but it doesn't recognize DNG from K3.
If I check for available modules, there is no K3 in the Pentax group.
As far I know, K3 support is planned for January 2014.

Can you tell me, how did you suceed to read DNG in DXO 9?
12-09-2013, 04:00 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jan67 Quote
I have installed trial version of the DXO 9, but it doesn't recognize DNG from K3.
If I check for available modules, there is no K3 in the Pentax group.
As far I know, K3 support is planned for January 2014.

Can you tell me, how did you suceed to read DNG in DXO 9?
You are right - I stand corrected. I didn't read the chart over to the right to see the January 2014 date.
12-09-2013, 04:10 PM   #15
Veteran Member

DxO v9.0 only reads K-3 JPG's at the moment. Probably v9.1 is the same.
Looks like a future v9.2 in January, I guess, will be the one to offer full K-3 RAW support.

And wow. Look at their planned list of supported lenses on K-3 for January- 41 lenses. They are going to be busy.