Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2013, 11:15 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Apapukas Quote
So, if you used 1.5V batteries, the voltage would rise to 9V. That is 25% higher voltage than using Li-ion or 1.2V batteries.
I believe there is a pretty high chance to fry the camera this way.
I'm pretty confident that Pentax wouldn't make the camera fry from using 1.5v batteries. Those are the bog standard non-rechargeable AA battery you can buy anywhere. The 1.2 volt batteries are weaker than the standard, which doesn't matter for most devices, but you can see in cheap flashlights they're dimmer, for example.

I'm not sure if they'd build it to handle 1.67V batteries, since those are very unusual and rarely used. But most likely there's a voltage regulator thingie of some kind in there and an extra 1 volt probably wouldn't overload it.

12-11-2013, 12:47 PM   #17
Veteran Member

The lithium Ion battery is actually 8.4 volts when fully charged. The 7.2 figure is just a sort of average during use from fully charged to depleted at which point it has dropped to about 5.6 volts. During normal use the voltage will be anywhere between those two limits.
12-11-2013, 01:40 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
The lithium Ion battery is actually 8.4 volts when fully charged. The 7.2 figure is just a sort of average during use from fully charged to depleted at which point it has dropped to about 5.6 volts. During normal use the voltage will be anywhere between those two limits.
Does the same rule apply to AA's? (The voltage is increased when they are fully charged)
12-11-2013, 01:49 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Does the same rule apply to AA's? (The voltage is increased when they are fully charged)

12-11-2013, 03:24 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Hmm.. I don't get this chart.

As the battery discharges, the voltage increases?
12-11-2013, 03:31 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Hmm.. I don't get this chart.

As the battery discharges, the voltage increases?
I think the X axis is mislabeled. It should be something like "energy used."
12-11-2013, 03:58 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
One big disappointment I have with rechargeables (Sanyo XX, used along with my K-30's), is that the voltage drops fast meaning I have to charge the batteries as late as I can to get the most out of them.

I'd like to know how K-3 is in this regarding when used with rechargeable AA's.
12-11-2013, 09:28 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
It's confusing to read, but capacity would sort of mean "this is how much of the battery is empty."

12-12-2013, 01:49 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I got it now Thanks!
12-23-2013, 01:18 PM   #25

K-3 backup batteries

I'm looking at purchasing backup batteries from 'Wasabi' for my K-3. Wondering if anyone else has purchased these and your experience. I'm not interested in using a battery grip at this time so backups are what I want. Thanks!
12-23-2013, 01:43 PM   #26
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beachmama Quote
I'm looking at purchasing backup batteries from 'Wasabi' for my K-3. Wondering if anyone else has purchased these and your experience. I'm not interested in using a battery grip at this time so backups are what I want. Thanks!
I have a pair of Wasabi Power batteries for my K-5 and K-01 - I haven't had any malfunctions or errors with them, but nonetheless, I'm not a fan.

When I first bought them they would last maybe 75% as long as the OEM Pentax batteries. Now, after 2.5 years or so, they last only maybe 1/4 as long, or in the K-01, 1/10 as long. They have lost A LOT of capacity.

The original K-5 battery that came with my camera in early 2011 is still going strong.

Having said that, the price (on Amazon) for the package that includes two Wasabi batteries and a charger is pretty darn good, even if you only get 6 months or a year out of the batteries. The extra charger has been terrific - no problems at all with that, and it charges my OEM batteries perfectly well.
12-23-2013, 01:49 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
One big disappointment I have with rechargeables (Sanyo XX, used along with my K-30's), is that the voltage drops fast meaning I have to charge the batteries as late as I can to get the most out of them.

I'd like to know how K-3 is in this regarding when used with rechargeable AA's.
I seem to recall reading somewhere that the XX variety of eneloops don't work well at all with Pentax cameras and that it is better to use the 'ordinary' white eneloops. But I only use the ordinary white ones, which work fine, so I cannot tell from experience if there is really a problem with the XX eneloops.
12-23-2013, 02:53 PM   #28

I have a pair of Wasabi Power batteries for my K-5 and K-01 - I haven't had any malfunctions or errors with them, but nonetheless, I'm not a fan.

When I first bought them they would last maybe 75% as long as the OEM Pentax batteries. Now, after 2.5 years or so, they last only maybe 1/4 as long, or in the K-01, 1/10 as long. They have lost A LOT of capacity.

The original K-5 battery that came with my camera in early 2011 is still going strong.

Having said that, the price (on Amazon) for the package that includes two Wasabi batteries and a charger is pretty darn good, even if you only get 6 months or a year out of the batteries. The extra charger has been terrific - no problems at all with that, and it charges my OEM batteries perfectly well.
Thanks so much Quicksand!

I purchased replacement batteries for my Canon (not from Wasabi). The original battery is still going strong after 4 years, the replacements not so good. Two died and one is meh . . . BUT I paid .62 for one, $2.62 for another and $3.00+/- for the third AND they were great for 2 years. I would love to understand what has the performance of these batteries vary so greatly.

Thanks again for your rapid reply!
12-24-2013, 10:03 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
I seem to recall reading somewhere that the XX variety of eneloops don't work well at all with Pentax cameras and that it is better to use the 'ordinary' white eneloops. But I only use the ordinary white ones, which work fine, so I cannot tell from experience if there is really a problem with the XX eneloops.
I think I should give the classic Eneloops a try. When I used to use Energizer Lithiums with my K-x, I had very reliable performance and always knew what to expect. Currently (With the Sanyo XX) it always feels like playing russian roulette - though they do tend to last long enough, the cameras just doesn't seem to cope with the too well. It's not unusual I get a red battery indicate within the first 100 shots and the only reason I swap a set is because I do know they will last for longer. But it's still very much a guessing game since I do not know with a grater accuracy when they are indeed depleted or too low on juice.