Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2013, 04:04 AM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 134
Which battery for K-3

Hi Guys,

Can anyone tell me which is the correct battery to fit a K-3? I believe it is a D-LI90 - at least that's what I thought it said on the back of mine when I looked briefly last night.

Wierdly the official Ricoh specs state a D-LI90P - 'Battery Type: Rechargeable Lithium-ion Battery D-LI90P' which I don't believe exists?! must have been a typo!

Cheers

Alex

12-11-2013, 04:23 AM - 1 Like   #2
Inactive Account




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North Carolina
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,720
There is a new safety requirement for some countries that require a 4th battery contact. This only matters for charging, the camera can take either as it only has 2 contacts anyway.

The D-BC90 charger will only charge the D-LI90 battery. The D-BC90P charger will charge the D-LI90 and D-LI90P batteries.
12-11-2013, 04:26 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Arne Bo's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Hamburg
Photos: Albums
Posts: 123
Hi, in the user manual (the german one) the D-LI90 is listed and is working fine for me. Havenīt seen a D-LI90P at the store.
12-11-2013, 05:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Lietuva, Vilnius
Posts: 627
IMO, just get the grip + AA's and forget about battery life.

For a price of one 3rd party Li-ion battery you can get 6 decent AA's that will last at least two time more. Also, having spare AA's are always handy, because you can use them in your flashes or just everyday devices, if needed

Also, the new AA's are much better in cold weather than they used to be, so again, one more reason to use them instead of Li-ions.

My Li-ion (that came with camera) is in a battery tray, deep in camera bag, waiting for emergency

12-11-2013, 06:21 AM   #5
Pentaxian
i83N's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lithuania
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,144
If I not mistaken LI090P where LI means Lithium and P means polymer.
12-11-2013, 06:22 AM   #6
Pentaxian
i83N's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lithuania
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,144
QuoteOriginally posted by Apapukas Quote
IMO, just get the grip + AA's and forget about battery life.

For a price of one 3rd party Li-ion battery you can get 6 decent AA's that will last at least two time more. Also, having spare AA's are always handy, because you can use them in your flashes or just everyday devices, if needed

Also, the new AA's are much better in cold weather than they used to be, so again, one more reason to use them instead of Li-ions.

My Li-ion (that came with camera) is in a battery tray, deep in camera bag, waiting for emergency
If you go AA root just get eneloops
12-11-2013, 07:49 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Southern Indiana
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14,951
The one thing I will mention is that I have some off brand batteries that work for my K5, but not for the K3. They don't hold a charge very well any more, but in the K5 they are good for 200 or 250 shots. They are useless in the K3 -- I guess the voltage isn't high enough, because they will shoot a couple of frames and then give battery depleted message.
12-11-2013, 07:59 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
grhazelton's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Jonesboro, GA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,788
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The one thing I will mention is that I have some off brand batteries that work for my K5, but not for the K3. They don't hold a charge very well any more, but in the K5 they are good for 200 or 250 shots. They are useless in the K3 -- I guess the voltage isn't high enough, because they will shoot a couple of frames and then give battery depleted message.
Interesting. I've had good performance from "Wasabi" brand Li batteries in both my K 10 and K 5. Of course this doesn't speak to the K 3 and as always YMMV.

12-11-2013, 08:14 AM   #9
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 134
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Apapukas Quote
IMO, just get the grip + AA's and forget about battery life.

For a price of one 3rd party Li-ion battery you can get 6 decent AA's that will last at least two time more. Also, having spare AA's are always handy, because you can use them in your flashes or just everyday devices, if needed

Also, the new AA's are much better in cold weather than they used to be, so again, one more reason to use them instead of Li-ions.

My Li-ion (that came with camera) is in a battery tray, deep in camera bag, waiting for emergency
Thanks - I've got the grip and currently use AA's with it but was thinking about getting a spare Li-ion battery so while on the road I can use either the AA's or the Li-ion and just switch the tray in the grip.

What AA's would you recommend? I have some eneloop XX ones currently but they seem to be causing problems with my K-3 when in the grip - I am getting the mirror flop/shutter issue (see the thread).

Cheers
12-11-2013, 08:17 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Southern Indiana
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14,951
QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
Interesting. I've had good performance from "Wasabi" brand Li batteries in both my K 10 and K 5. Of course this doesn't speak to the K 3 and as always YMMV.
Yes, the Wasabi batteries are what I have and they do work fine in my K5, but it is just that in the K3 it shows battery depleted really fast and then starts flipping the shutter really fast. Has never happened with the factory batteries.
12-11-2013, 08:43 AM   #11
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Lietuva, Vilnius
Posts: 627
QuoteOriginally posted by sharepointalex Quote
Thanks - I've got the grip and currently use AA's with it but was thinking about getting a spare Li-ion battery so while on the road I can use either the AA's or the Li-ion and just switch the tray in the grip.

What AA's would you recommend? I have some eneloop XX ones currently but they seem to be causing problems with my K-3 when in the grip - I am getting the mirror flop/shutter issue (see the thread).

Cheers
On my K5IIs I use the standard eneloops ~2000mAh. The only issue that bothers me a little, is that sometimes when I press the preview button, the picture appears on the LCD for a second and then the LCD goes black. I have to keep pressing the preview button for up to 5 times to finally view my pictures normally! It annoys a little, but because it happens quite rarely, I don't mind too much.

I believe that your problem is related to the camera, not the AA's. Just wait for a couple firmware updates on "general stability" or "general stability using AA's"

Also, to use your AA's to the fullest, you need a good charger. I highly recommend BC- 700 charger. Also, it allows you to see how much mAh your AA's actually have.
12-11-2013, 10:00 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
narual's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Bend (Notre Dame), Indiana
Posts: 1,935
QuoteOriginally posted by Apapukas Quote
IMO, just get the grip + AA's and forget about battery life.

For a price of one 3rd party Li-ion battery you can get 6 decent AA's that will last at least two time more. Also, having spare AA's are always handy, because you can use them in your flashes or just everyday devices, if needed

Also, the new AA's are much better in cold weather than they used to be, so again, one more reason to use them instead of Li-ions.

My Li-ion (that came with camera) is in a battery tray, deep in camera bag, waiting for emergency
Hah, and you can strap some wrist weights on while you're taking pictures, too! You must have strong forearms.

I carry the insert with AAs in my camera bag for emergencies, but that's more weight than I want to carry inside the camera if I can avoid it (plus you lose the weather-safe spare SD card storage).

I picked up 2 cheap 3rd party batteries on Amazon, plus the original with the camera. With 1 in the body and 1 in the grip, I've never run out (though I came close a few nights ago because I had forgotten to charge them after the last two times I went out taking photos), and if I did, I still have the third before I have to use the AA grip insert.

Of course, this is for my K5, and maybe the K3 doesn't handle third party batteries well?
12-11-2013, 10:13 AM   #13
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Lietuva, Vilnius
Posts: 627
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Hah, and you can strap some wrist weights on while you're taking pictures, too! You must have strong forearms.

I carry the insert with AAs in my camera bag for emergencies, but that's more weight than I want to carry inside the camera if I can avoid it (plus you lose the weather-safe spare SD card storage).

I picked up 2 cheap 3rd party batteries on Amazon, plus the original with the camera. With 1 in the body and 1 in the grip, I've never run out (though I came close a few nights ago because I had forgotten to charge them after the last two times I went out taking photos), and if I did, I still have the third before I have to use the AA grip insert.

Of course, this is for my K5, and maybe the K3 doesn't handle third party batteries well?
Well, I shoot with DA Ltd's so even with the AA's the camera weight is very good

P.S. Thank you, I do try to stay in good shape
12-11-2013, 10:17 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
narual's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Bend (Notre Dame), Indiana
Posts: 1,935
For AAs, if the NiMh 1.2 voltage is too low, you could try NiZn batteries. They put out 1.6 volts. They don't have the kind of shelf life or recharge cycle life that Eneloops have though, and they require a special charger.
Normal alkaline batteries use 1.5 volts, so perhaps the k3 expects 1.5 volts if you're using the battery grip, and 1.2 volts isn't enough.
Disclaimer: they may not last long, could fry the camera, and may summon the hordes of Genghis Khan to torch your home village. I've never personally used them, so I have no idea.
12-11-2013, 10:32 AM   #15
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Lietuva, Vilnius
Posts: 627
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
For AAs, if the NiMh 1.2 voltage is too low, you could try NiZn batteries. They put out 1.6 volts. They don't have the kind of shelf life or recharge cycle life that Eneloops have though, and they require a special charger.
Normal alkaline batteries use 1.5 volts, so perhaps the k3 expects 1.5 volts if you're using the battery grip, and 1.2 volts isn't enough.
Disclaimer: they may not last long, could fry the camera, and may summon the hordes of Genghis Khan to torch your home village. I've never personally used them, so I have no idea.
I'm no electrician, but based on simple math, 1.2 should be enough.

Pentax Li-ion battery has voltage of 7.2V
Standart eneloop - 1.2V. 6*1.2=7.2V

So, if you used 1.5V batteries, the voltage would rise to 9V. That is 25% higher voltage than using Li-ion or 1.2V batteries.
I believe there is a pretty high chance to fry the camera this way.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
battery, d-li90p, dslr, k-3, k3, pentax k-3
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax K-5 D-BG4 Battery Grip on a K-3, really possible? pentaxmz Pentax K-3 8 12-02-2013 05:55 PM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax D-BG4 Battery Grip for Pentax K-7 & K-5 with Battery djrocks66 Sold Items 4 08-11-2013 08:10 AM
3 Pics, 3 Lenses....Can you tell which is which? Driline Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 19 06-21-2013 08:13 PM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax D-BG4 Battery Grip for K-5 / K-7 w/D-Li90 battery Adam Sold Items 3 05-31-2013 01:05 PM
Which battery? (K-x) emsuraine Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 16 03-02-2011 11:44 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:59 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top