Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2013, 02:29 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
1) Not the same cable - see above.
It's USB3, fully back compatible with USB2. Try it

2) Nothing fully supports K3's raw files yet. Apple has nothing to do with it. Brush the chip off your shoulder.
DNGs are supported everywhere I've tested them. I have nothing on my shoulder stating a fact about Apple is not judgmental, what I wrote is the truth, not an evaluation of the company's products.

12-11-2013, 02:48 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
DNGs are supported everywhere I've tested them. I have nothing on my shoulder stating a fact about Apple is not judgmental, what I wrote is the truth, not an evaluation of the company's products.
But not the multi-zone white balance, right? At least, some of the requests I've seen googling for lightroom include requests to support that. Hence the not fully supported.

And perhaps no chip, but whenever someone says "No offense, but"… they're preparing to say something they consider offensive. The implication that an apple user would for some reason be oblivious to the existence of a commonly used cable has a certain note to it.
12-11-2013, 03:56 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think maybe you didn't read the OP's post?
I guess I should have said "people other than the OP" or "people like me"

For the OP, you can just use the Eye-Fi or Transcend cards I mentioned...or a regular non-Pentax Flucard if you don't want the features I mentioned...
12-12-2013, 05:55 AM   #34
Pentaxian

But not the multi-zone white balance, right? At least, some of the requests I've seen googling for lightroom include requests to support that. Hence the not fully supported.
I wouldn't know about that, sorry. for the record, Adobe announced an update this morning with support for 20 cameras, I'm betting the K-3 is included. And if it's not, you can always use the software that Pentax provided.

whenever someone says "No offense, but"… they're preparing to say something they consider offensive.
Or, in this case, something that might be felt as offensive even when no offense is intended. In my particular case, I'm French-speaking so maybe our language culture is different.

The implication that an apple user would for some reason be oblivious to the existence of a commonly used cable has a certain note to it
Well the truth is that you did not seem to know of that cable type, and even when people pointed it out to you, you kept arguing about it.

12-12-2013, 06:53 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Just for the sake of clarity, a few pictures and test results:

A USB 2.0 cable:

I am able to transfer up to 18 MB/s with this USB 2.0 cable.

This is the same type of cable used to connect to Galaxy S3 smartphones and Western Digital Passport drives:

This is a USB 3.0 SuperSpeed (SS) cable:

I am able to transfer up to 18 MB/s with this USB 3.0 cable connected directly in the K-3.

This card reader:

I am able to transfer up to 35 MB/s with this USB 3.0 card reader.

All tests in the same USB port, with the same 500mb folder from the same card.
12-12-2013, 07:32 AM   #36

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Look on the right side of your MacBook Pro 15" Retina... that SD-sized slot is a card reader. Pull the SD card out of the K-3 and put it in there (gold contacts down and toward the computer) and it will show up like a drive on your desktop, ready to read or copy the files. Be sure to "Eject" the SD card "drive icon" from the desktop when you are done, so you can safely remove the card by hand.

(In case it needs to be said, your computer must be turned on during all of this...)

>sigh<
You * Saved * My * Day - and yes, as you all have guessed, I'm a newbee to DSLR. The Mac I have is also new, never used the card reader before as I had no need for it. Now I do.

And on all the other answers on my sigh : thanks a lot for clarifying this and that on the way. Now I'll just wait until the new super duper Flucard is released hopefully in January.

Last edited by Ztrejfer; 12-12-2013 at 09:19 AM.
12-12-2013, 07:52 AM   #37
Banned

I use the Eye-Fi Pro X2 SDHC card on my Pentax cameras to upload to my Mac or PC and the Eye-Fi Mobi SDHC card to send photos to my 64GB Verizon 4G LTE iPad. The K- 3 is not listed yet but I am sure it will work like the K-5 II that is listed.
Mobi | Eye-Fi
Pro X2 | Eye-Fi

12-12-2013, 08:43 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ztrejfer Quote
You * Saved * My * Day - and yes, as you all have guessed, I'm a newbee to DSLR. The Mac I have is also new, never used the card reader before as I had no need for it. Now I do.

And on all the other answers on my sigh : thanks a lot for clarifying this and that on the way. Now I'll just way until it's released hopefully in January.
As some dude once said: All's well that ends well. Happy shooting.
12-12-2013, 08:56 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
I am able to transfer up to 18 MB/s with this USB 2.0 cable.
I am able to transfer up to 18 MB/s with this USB 3.0 cable connected directly in the K-3.
That's not a good thing.
I remember the confusion w/ the spec sheet (Pentax listed USB 2.0) and mentioning that USB 3.0 actually has a USB 2.0 speed mode, so you could in theory use a USB 3.0 mechanical port, but transfer only USB 2.0 speeds. I'm hoping I'm still wrong about this, but it looks like that might be right

Your card reader should go faster than 35MB/sec w/ that 95MB/sec card too. Try putting on a 1GB file and then reinsert it (to flush your computer's cache of it) and read it back...should be much closer to your 95MB/sec speed. I have a ConnectLand USB 3.0 reader and the PNY Ultimate 60MB/sec card reads back at 61-62MB/sec...
12-12-2013, 09:46 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Indeed, looks like USB 2.0 speeds on a USB 3.0 connector.

I guess that the important thing would be that the in-camera SD reader/writer and main board of the camera comply with UHS-1 speeds. Going out of the camera is another story.

Nice to know for your xfer speed, thank you.

I also intend to try another port eventually. Will let you know.
12-12-2013, 09:54 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
I use the Eye-Fi Pro X2 SDHC card on my Pentax cameras to upload to my Mac or PC and the Eye-Fi Mobi SDHC card to send photos to my 64GB Verizon 4G LTE iPad. The K- 3 is not listed yet but I am sure it will work like the K-5 II that is listed.
Mobi | Eye-Fi
Pro X2 | Eye-Fi
2nd the same protocol when out and about for in-camera jpeg. I still use a fast card and card reader to transfer RAW files. I never use Cloud upload/download to transfer files.
02-04-2014, 07:05 AM   #42
Veteran Member

First impressions of the FLUcard (in German)
02-04-2014, 07:16 AM   #43

Get a card reader and connect it to your Apple. Simple, right?
02-04-2014, 07:20 AM   #44
Veteran Member

certainly encouraging
02-04-2014, 07:25 AM - 1 Like   #45
Veteran Member

Connection:
  • FLUcard in slot 2
  • vs. browser and security code
  • no software installation required
  • possible via smartphone, tablet, PC, etc.
Settings:
  • Network: FLUCARD_for_PENTAX
  • Browser: 192.168.1.1 & security code
Remote menu options:
  • Remote capture:
    • it is possible to set time, aperture, ISO, focus point, etc.
    • transfer time is about 5s per picture in full resolution
    • operating distance is about 8m
  • Image view
    • change preview size, save pictures on computer
  • Settings