Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2013, 07:37 AM   #1

Flucard for sale - on March 2014 !

I have a brand new K-3 - and no possibility at the moment to transfer photos to Aperture on my Mac.

So - I googled and found a Flucard for Pentax K-3 here:

Ricoh's Flucard

- and for sale here:

Seems I either have to invest in another special cable (expensive I guess), or wait UNTIL MARCH 2014 ! ! !

I was so fond of this new Pentax K-3 - but I've had nothing but trouble with it:

- I cannot transfer data (there was no cable in the box. Yes, I can buy one - but no cable for a camera in this price class? Come on!)
- The format of it's RAW files cannot be opened in Aperture.
- Point three: I cannot find anything else to whine about - but the above is also enough!

>sigh<

12-11-2013, 07:45 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Wow, it's that the problems you have with the K-3.
First , I never never use my cable to transfer photo to my computer , I use a card reader, a lot faster and easier

Second, the problem of reading RAW file on Aperture, have nothing to do with Pentax but Apple.
12-11-2013, 08:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Any old WiFi card (EyeFi, FluCard Pro, ez Share, Transcend WiFi, Toshiba FlashAir, PQI Air etc) will transfer files from your camera to computer, if that's all you want to do.
12-11-2013, 08:12 AM   #4

Original Poster
@ bobmaxja:
I know I sound prudish - but this was supposed to be a good here-and-now experience. It's not.

@ rawr: OK, I was not aware of this. As far as I remember form reading in fora, that in order to unfold K-3's full potential it needs the new Flucard on my links above?

12-11-2013, 08:28 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Can I use a Flucard to pay for my flu shot ?
12-11-2013, 08:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member

If all you want to do is transfer files, any WIFI card will work, like rawr said. Although I find it a bit hard to believe you don't own a single microUSB cable...
12-11-2013, 09:15 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The unique FluCard for Pentax allows the user to operate basic camera functions from a smartphone or tablet in addition to the ordinary file storage and transfer functions (Wi-Fi and manual).

Any old SD card will store and manually transfer files to a computer.

Any Wi-Fi- enabled SD card will send files over a network or by cellular data transmission (in some cases).

Next question.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-07-2014 at 07:50 AM.
12-11-2013, 09:33 AM   #8
Ole
Administrator

The K-3 can store RAW files in the Adobe DNG format, a format that is widely supported. That format might be readable with Aperture (I'm not a Mac user so I wouldn't know)?

Downloading files via WiFi is somewhat tedious, there is a review here. It has it uses in a studio setting, but for ordinary shooting a card reader (or cable) is much more handy. But I nevertheless agree - Pentax should have included a USB 3.0 cable for the sake of good order.
12-11-2013, 09:37 AM   #9
Veteran Member

What's wrong with the flucard that came with it?

Edit: this seems it indicate that Aperture should support these files... http://www.apple.com/au/aperture/specs/raw.html

Edit2: doesn't specifically say K-3 but everything else is there. You would think it would work? Say it supports most dng files.

Last edited by dcBear78; 12-11-2013 at 09:43 AM.
12-11-2013, 09:42 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
But I nevertheless agree - Pentax should have included a USB 3.0 cable for the sake of good order.
I sort of agree as well - but Ricoh makes a big deal about being Green and the European Union now actively discourages including redundant cables in every new electronic device box. Soon they will be prohibited - and next comes battery standardization, charger plug cable deletion and then charger base deletion. Won't be long before a battery will be a $20 option.

Since the EU is 500MM people, makers will default to their rules and we other 1st World buyers will just have to deal with it.
12-11-2013, 09:45 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

I currently plug my ordinary memory card into the computer ( I have several usb card readers, that I haven't used since I got my new iMac with card slot) , run the Pentax dng files through Adobe DNG Converter, save them to a Temp folder on my desktop and then load them into Aperture.

It's not apparent that you need to do this, but, it's what works for me.
12-11-2013, 09:54 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Dont know what Mac the OP has, But my wife's MacBook Pro has a built in card reader.
As does 3 other Windows laptops we got (Asus)
12-11-2013, 10:32 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Well, he's definitely got a usb. Card readers are ten bucks. Good idea to have one around.
12-11-2013, 10:37 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
On a different note, has anyone tried the other 3rd party Pentax USB tethering software w/ the K-3? Curious if it works and if data transfer is faster...
12-11-2013, 10:42 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ztrejfer Quote
>sigh<
Look on the right side of your MacBook Pro 15" Retina... that SD-sized slot is a card reader. Pull the SD card out of the K-3 and put it in there (gold contacts down and toward the computer) and it will show up like a drive on your desktop, ready to read or copy the files. Be sure to "Eject" the SD card "drive icon" from the desktop when you are done, so you can safely remove the card by hand.

(In case it needs to be said, your computer must be turned on during all of this...)

>sigh<