Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2013, 05:16 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Apple Folk: Have I Got this Right?

Before last week, I had sternly resolved to buy a K-3 only after Apple updates Aperture to support a K-3. However, a few days ago I ordered a K-3 in a state of irrational exuberance (SIE; why does SIE coincide with cocktail hour ? ).

I've no interest whatsoever in shooting JPEGs straight from the camera, so I need a work around until Apple does its thing. There is, of course, the Pentax software, but I get the impression that a better way to go is the Adobe DNG Converter available free () as a download. So to be clear, the procedure (after downloading Adobe's app) will be to use the converter to transform Pentax's indigestible DNG files to Apple-friendly DNG files that can be imported into Aperture and managed in the usual way. Seems reasonable . . . . am I missing something?

Thanks,

Jer

12-11-2013, 05:19 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's about it.
12-11-2013, 05:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Isn't the latest Adobe DNG Converter version 8.2 for Mac, which came out in September? The K-3 wasn't even announced yet and Adobe's site doesn't even list the K-3 as a supported camera. Am I getting this right?
12-11-2013, 05:51 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Or... Upgrade to a PC with Windows.

*duck and run*

12-11-2013, 06:24 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Franky2step Quote
Isn't the latest Adobe DNG Converter version 8.2 for Mac, which came out in September? The K-3 wasn't even announced yet and Adobe's site doesn't even list the K-3 as a supported camera. Am I getting this right?
You may be accurate but for the sake of getting DNG files to work with Aperture, the instruction as given does the job. The Adobe tool normalizes the K-3 DNG file in some way to an existing standard.

M
12-11-2013, 06:48 PM   #6
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by klkitchens Quote

*duck and run*
Or, start using Lightroom instead of Aperture. It's a move I made a couple of years ago that I absolutely don't regret in any way.
12-11-2013, 06:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by klkitchens Quote

*duck and run*

+1 with get a real computer added.

12-11-2013, 07:21 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Colbyt Quote
+1 with get a real computer added.
It's a good thing I know you blokes aren't serious, or I'd be tempted to list my long history with "real" computers…

(Starting with a PDP8, for those who know - actually on reflection it was an Olivetti Programma 101 in the civil engineering lab in 1968)

PS: Real men code in FORTRAN! "Real" computers – don't make me laugh.
12-11-2013, 07:31 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Back on the OP's query: for all it cost more, Photoshop CS5 on Mac reads K-3 DNG files without issue. I dare say it does on that other OS, as well. Most of the time, initial PP in Bridge is enough for my needs, so the advice to try Lightroom is probably good advice. Either that, or find a secondhand version of Photoshop - CS5 must be a reasonable price by now, and I didn't find a compelling case to move to CS6, let alone the CC bottomless pit.
12-11-2013, 08:23 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Switch software to avoid a simple conversion? You guys are cracking me up here. Apple may be a bad company, who charge high prices, to do what every computer company should have done… make a system and support it, without the need for that typical Windows nightmare, where your softwares stops working, and Microsoft says it's a hardware problem, and the hardware people tell you it's a software problem, and the software people tell you it's a Windows problem. Been there done that. Adobe is worse. I wouldn't give them 10 cents. They ripped me off for $500 once. Then 5 years later they ripped me off for $275. They won't see another dime of my money as long as I live.
12-11-2013, 08:43 PM   #11
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Maybe worth trying the free and cross-platform Raw Therapee, a least as an interim measure until the commercial players release their next round of updates.

Raw Therapee does seem to handle the K-3 DNG files, but currently won't touch the K-3 PEF.
12-11-2013, 08:49 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
That's about it.
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
You may be accurate but for the sake of getting DNG files to work with Aperture, the instruction as given does the job. The Adobe tool normalizes the K-3 DNG file in some way to an existing standard.

M
Thanks much - a simple path is what I want for my simple mind.

Jer
12-11-2013, 08:55 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoxatnep Quote
Or, start using Lightroom instead of Aperture. It's a move I made a couple of years ago that I absolutely don't regret in any way.
I'll take a look. Thanks for the input.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Back on the OP's query: for all it cost more, Photoshop CS5 on Mac reads K-3 DNG files without issue. I dare say it does on that other OS, as well. Most of the time, initial PP in Bridge is enough for my needs, so the advice to try Lightroom is probably good advice. Either that, or find a secondhand version of Photoshop - CS5 must be a reasonable price by now, and I didn't find a compelling case to move to CS6, let alone the CC bottomless pit.
Thanks, Rob, for your help. I don't mind spending the cash for the CS stuff, but I'm pretty sure I lack the sophistication to use it properly.

Anyway, I noticed an LX in your signature. I've got a couple of 'em - what elegant machines .

Jer
12-11-2013, 08:56 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul Hunt Quote
Maybe worth trying the free and cross-platform Raw Therapee, a least as an interim measure until the commercial players release their next round of updates.

Raw Therapee does seem to handle the K-3 DNG files, but currently won't touch the K-3 PEF.
Thanks, Paul. That's a new one on me - I'll take a look.

Jer
12-11-2013, 09:01 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
… make a system and support it, without the need for that typical Windows nightmare, where your softwares stops working, and Microsoft says it's a hardware problem, and the hardware people tell you it's a software problem, and the software people tell you it's a Windows problem.
The Balloon Help for MacsBUG (6.5.4) used to read "This file provides programmers with information proving that it really was a hardware problem...".

In 6.5.4a1 they changed it to "MacsBug is a low-level debugger. It it best served chilled with fish, hearty meats, and cheeses. Do not use while operating heavy machinery or driving a motor vehicle. Do not combine with medication."

I miss Apple easter eggs...