Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2013, 07:49 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Day bag for k-3 with battery grip?

Hey all. I brought my k-3 out with me today on a trip out to lunch & the comic store with the hubster-- in other words, not a shoot where I would want all my lenses in the big bag. What smaller bag/holster will hold the k-3 with a battery grip? I was super paranoid that my new baby was gonna get dinged up! Thanks!

12-11-2013, 08:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

LowePro has a series called Toploader Zoom in 3 sizes. I have an older one that is probably closest in size to the current model 45, the smallest one. K-3 with a grip does fit in there, lens down, but just barely. It's what I've been using for several years whenever I take one body w/grip and just the one attached lens. Works quite well.
12-11-2013, 08:25 PM   #3
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alwaysmichellerene Quote
Hey all. I brought my k-3 out with me today on a trip out to lunch & the comic store with the hubster-- in other words, not a shoot where I would want all my lenses in the big bag. What smaller bag/holster will hold the k-3 with a battery grip? I was super paranoid that my new baby was gonna get dinged up! Thanks!
Have a look at the LowerPro Urban Reporter 150.

I have the 250 version which carries 4 lenses and two bodies (one with a grip). I'm aiming of getting myself the 150 if I just want to carry a body with grip and maybe one extra lens.
12-11-2013, 09:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Photojojo Store! -- you can stuff it inside any bag you already have.

12-11-2013, 11:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I've got a Timbuktu Snoop (M IIRC) Messenger. K-3 with grip plus prime works. Grip plus zoom would be bulky. But if I'm just going out to hand, I'll often remove the grip and roll with just a couple of primes.
12-12-2013, 12:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Tamrac Aria 6 works. Maybe even one of the smaller models would do.
12-12-2013, 12:41 AM   #7
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
LowePro has a series called Toploader Zoom in 3 sizes. I have an older one that is probably closest in size to the current model 45, the smallest one. K-3 with a grip does fit in there, lens down, but just barely. It's what I've been using for several years whenever I take one body w/grip and just the one attached lens. Works quite well.
+1 for the Lowepro Toploader Zoo.

I have had mine (medium one) for 4 years to hold my K-7 with a mounted lens. I carry this bag everywhere, it got some knocks, but the camera is spotless, well protected by the padding. Very very convenient ....

I am getting a K-3 next year and I will get another Toploader bag.

12-12-2013, 05:18 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Tamrac Aria 6 works. Maybe even one of the smaller models would do.
I have the Aria 6 and the 3 (and love them both), but I don't think the 3 will be big enough for the K-3 plus grip. One thing I like about these bags is that they're streamlined and look a bit like handbags (not girly handbags, though), so I will use in social settings where a more rugged bag would look out of place. Without a grip, the Aria 3 will fit my K-3 with either the 18-135 or 55-300 attached, a small wallet, a few accessories (like a rocket blower, memory card holder, etc) and possibly a small flash or smallish second lens.
12-12-2013, 05:24 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For a short, casual trip where you may want to take some photos, leave the grip behind; maybe take a spare battery if you're paranoid. That way just about any small bag/case will do.

I only use the battery grip if I plan to be out all day and expect to take thousands of shots - like an all day music festival.
02-02-2014, 01:08 PM   #10

Photos: Gallery
I have the KATA Access 16PL Holster which accommodates the K-3 with grip mounted perfectly, plus the bottom can be extended by unzipping if there is a long zoom/tele lens mounted.

Here is a link:

Kata Pro-Light Access-16 PL Holster KT PL-A-16 B&H Photo Video

discontinued at B&H; perhaps could be found somewhere else? or the replacement model?
02-10-2014, 04:12 PM   #11

Anyone tried the LowePro flipside backpacks? Looks very secure from prying hands in the streets of Barcelona!
02-10-2014, 04:16 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Think Tank Digital Holster 40 v2.0 and their belt (which allow for other attachments)

Digital Holster 40 V2.0

I have all my cameras in Think Tank gear.
02-10-2014, 04:29 PM   #13

Lauren- your bag seems limited if you want to carry camera and 2 lenses, and flash and other etc. items.
02-10-2014, 04:34 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Think Tank Digital Holster 40 v2.0 and their belt (which allow for other attachments)

Digital Holster 40 V2.0

I have all my cameras in Think Tank gear.
I have the Digital Holster 50 V2.0 for my K3 and DA* 300 and DA* 60-250. I do not have the belt yet but have the digital harness for snowshoeing and skiing, etc. I put split rings on the clips that are on the bag for faster and easier donning. Took a few trips in the woods with it to get used to it but absolutely love how it keeps the camera out of the way of my poles and trees. I don't believe these will be my last Think Tank purchases....
02-10-2014, 05:21 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gosman Quote
Lauren- your bag seems limited if you want to carry camera and 2 lenses, and flash and other etc. items.
Nope. It's part of the Think Tank System -

Camera Belt for Pro Photographers, Camera Bag Accessories

Modular Camera Cases, DSLR Camera Bags, DSLR Lens Pouches

Modular Sets, Modular Systems - Think Tank Photo

Basically, I configure my belt for what I am shooting.
I routinely carry three skins, and a few other pouches.
It's the perfect system, as the modular components don't have to be slid onto the belt, but can be placed anywhere on it.

The little details of the Think Tank System make it perfect.