Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2013, 04:02 AM   #16

Miguel, if these profiles are as good as you say, why don't you share them with all of us?
Did you also try the XPentax profiles? http://www.hkphoto.com/blog/x-pentax-k-3-camera-profile-for-lightroom-camera-raw#axzz2nu7t1bUX

12-19-2013, 04:59 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by skyer Quote
Miguel, if these profiles are as good as you say, why don't you share them with all of us?
Did you also try the XPentax profiles? http://www.hkphoto.com/blog/x-pentax-k-3-camera-profile-for-lightroom-camera-raw#axzz2nu7t1bUX
I'm sure they've been shared in at least one other thread on the exact same topic.

If only they made a website where you could use a couple keywords to find things you are looking for?
12-19-2013, 05:47 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
White balance seems more, um, balanced, and reasonable. The unexpected benefit I did notice was performance in general. LR seems to be running at speeds reminiscent from three versions ago. Very nice.

I also purchased the Huelight camera profiles and think they are very much worth the $10. The dev also just released a fourth "medium" level profile. To me the Huelight profiles provide a more pleasing white balance than Adobe standard or the embedded.
Thanks, I will definitely upgrade to LR5. I may try Huelight as well.

Last edited by audiobomber; 12-19-2013 at 05:54 AM.
12-19-2013, 05:50 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I haven't detected any specific problems. Colours seems pretty good - with flash, with daylight, with LED stage lighting even.

But maybe I am blind, since I didn't see much difference between processing K-3 DNG's with v4.4 or v5.3.

However, I haven't used the new, fancy multi-AWB option with the K-3, just regular AWB. LR5 can't seem to process multi-AWB properly yet, by all accounts, hence some colour rendition issues with people using LR.
I'd like to keep Multi-auto WB because I shoot raw+. I've had terrible colour performance under tungsten and fluorescent light with LR4.

12-19-2013, 06:57 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dcBear78 Quote
If only they made a website where you could use a couple keywords to find things you are looking for?
Here you are.

M
12-19-2013, 10:35 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I'd like to keep Multi-auto WB because I shoot raw+. I've had terrible colour performance under tungsten and fluorescent light with LR4.
The Multi-AWB will likely be quite a problem to implement in LR or any other 3rd party software. It will require the software to include a functionally identical algorithm to the one Pentax has inside the camera. It is not just a matter of reading some values from the EXIF and then applying a standard process to the raw data as happens with normal white balance processing.

I'm quite sure the M-AWB algorithm is a valuable Ricoh patent and they wouldn't easily give it out for free. Adobe on the other hand would be unlikley to want to pay royalties for something that only a small percentage of their clients will ever use - unless perhaps they could offer it as a plugin purchased separately.

This of course depends on how much of the M-AWB work done in the camera is actually recorded in the EXIF. It is plausible, though not very likely I think, that the camera after calculating the WB in the multiple regions would record enough details in the EXIF for a post processor to just apply those without actually needing to determine them itself. That way Ricoh could release the details of how to interpret that data without having to release details of the algorithm that determined those details.
12-19-2013, 09:43 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
That way Ricoh could release the details of how to interpret that data without having to release details of the algorithm that determined those details.
Since other Ricoh bodies (eg the GR) also support multi-AWB, and have Adobe support, that's probably how it will likely work with the K-3.

EDIT - in looking at the Ricoh description of their 'Multi-Pattern Auto White Balance Technology':

http://www.ricoh.com/about/company/technology/tech/026.html

the way they describe it does make it sound like it may be tricky for a third-party RAW processor to implement support for it, especially the area segmenting ...
QuoteQuote:
To realize Multi-Pattern Auto White Balance for a scene comprising mixed sunlight and shade areas, highly accurate sunlight and shade recognition technology is necessary. With this method, selective readings are taken from both sunlight and shade to perform recognition for automatic area segmenting. Color is optimally reproduced in different areas corresponding to the various light sources.

Last edited by rawr; 12-19-2013 at 10:03 PM.