Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2014, 09:27 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Oh good. Thanks for verifying that!

05-21-2014, 04:42 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I had two identical cards in the camera (shooting RAW+ and with the write mode set to 'overflow' sequential writing from card to card).

I formatted cards #1 and #2 and wanted to start shooting from #1. Card #1 is labelled with a marker pen as '1' to make sure I don't mix up identical cards when I remove them from the camera, ditto card '2'. That's how I work. If you have a batch of identical looking Sandisk SD cards floating around, in the field it is helpful to know at a glance which card is which, which card I began the shoot with, etc. The write behaviour of the camera complicates this workflow.

At the moment it is very easy to select which card the camera plays images from, but it is not possible to just as easily select which card the camera records images to. Making the record behaviour match the play behaviour shouldn't be too hard, IMHO.

The dual SD card Nikons (D7000, D7100, D600/610) have identical write logic to the K-3. It seems conventional not to have more control over this behaviour, alas.

People seem to cope. I guess I will too.

Last edited by rawr; 05-21-2014 at 04:47 PM.
07-25-2014, 01:41 AM   #18

Hi,

I'm currently travelling and have found that if I fill card one, the K3 automatically shifts to card two (my EyeFi card). The problem comes when I want the camera to do the reverse, i.e. once card two is full it simply stops you taking shots. I.e. even though card one is formatted and empty, it will not switch back.

As others have noted, the solution is to remove card two and the camera will then use card one. Just the same, I've been caught and missed shots while working out this workaround. For an expensive camera, this sort of glitch is poor and unacceptable. Come Pentax, fix this with a firmware upgrade.

Thanks
07-28-2014, 12:22 AM   #19
Pentaxian

In playback, you can use the card switch button to playback from card 1 or card 2. Strange that same flexibility is enabled when recording to memory cards. For example of where thats useful, i could see where one might want to record all photos of a certain type or subject on Card 1 and all pictures for another type or subject on card 2.

From day 1, the card usage seemed inflexible to me in its operation. Not like Pentax.

07-28-2014, 09:26 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Last weekend while shooting a boat race with my new K3 I removed the card that was full and inserted a blank card. Naturally it was alternating cards. Each time the camera would automatically switch to the blank card when the card it was writing to was full. I was only shooting RAW.
02-22-2015, 10:45 AM   #21
Pentaxian

So I'm little confused now. I removed one card (from slot #1). Then shoot several shots (of course camera saved them to card in slot #2). Later on I inserted back card to the 1st slot, but K-3 continued to use card in 2nd slot for saving next shots.

But some time later it suddenly switched and started to save images to the first card. I was quite fuzzy for a while, because I tried to check previous photos and they were not there... (being saved to the other card meanwhile...).

I'm not aware of doing anything myself, so it looks like the camera decided in one moment to stop saving shots to slot #2 and started to use slot #1 again.

Kinda crazy.
02-22-2015, 10:57 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
So I'm little confused now. I removed one card (from slot #1). Then shoot several shots (of course camera saved them to card in slot #2). Later on I inserted back card to the 1st slot, but K-3 continued to use card in 2nd slot for saving next shots.

But some time later it suddenly switched and started to save images to the first card. I was quite fuzzy for a while, because I tried to check previous photos and they were not there... (being saved to the other card meanwhile...).

I'm not aware of doing anything myself, so it looks like the camera decided in one moment to stop saving shots to slot #2 and started to use slot #1 again.

Kinda crazy.
Did you happen to change battery?
02-22-2015, 11:00 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ruggiex Quote
Did you happen to change battery?

Yes, I did. OK, this explains the whole mystery. ()

03-08-2015, 09:31 AM   #24
Site Supporter

Following this procedure might at least do the switching between slots a little less tedious (takes between 5 and 10 seconds):

Say slot 2 is already selected as the slot where images will be saved, and you want to save to slot 1 instead, then without turning the camera off:

1) Open the memory card compartment door (and insert a card in slot 1 if not already inserted). The camera will turn off by itself because you opened the door.
2) Push card 2 so it will release. You don't need to take it out, just release it.
3) Push and hold the tiny pin in the upper left corner of the compartment. This is a pin that indicates to the camera that the door is closed.
4) While still holding the tiny pin, push the shutter release button halfway down to turn on the camera.
5) Release the shutter release button and the tiny pin.
6) push card 2 to insert it again.
7) Close the door. Images will now be saved to card 1 (you need to activate the shutter button to turn the camera on again)

Hope this will inspire RICOH to find a better way to implement this function. A practical solution could be to switch slot when the user pushes and holds the switch-slot button for say 2 seconds.

Best wishes,
Frode Langset

(and excuse my English, it is not my native language)