Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-14-2013, 12:51 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
k3 memory card storing quick switch?

Does anyone can tell me where can i switch the card storing from card 1 to card 2 on k3 please?
What im talking about isn't jpeg or raw store setting... just simple switch between cards...
Thank you!

If i take out one of the cards, take a photo, and I put it back, the storing card changed, but how can I switch back to original ???
OK... If you take out the other one , you take a photo, it's gonna change again back, but is there any simplier way to do that?
I mean by buttons or menu???

Thank You!

12-14-2013, 12:58 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

There is no such option. They must have forgotten to implement it

The only way to switch cards, as you're describing, is to take out one card, power the camera on, then put it back in.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-14-2013, 01:17 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
There is no such option. They must have forgotten to implement it

The only way to switch cards, as you're describing, is to take out one card, power the camera on, then put it back in.
Thanks for Your answer!

That's pretty nice! I mean awesome! Woe is me!.
Poor me! How am I gonna work with K3 till March 2014? (flucard)
12-14-2013, 01:17 PM   #4

it only works in playback mode ( the little button on the bottom right ) but has no influence in the shot mode

12-14-2013, 01:56 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thank You!
03-28-2014, 10:07 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Was wondering this too, totally barmy!
03-28-2014, 10:12 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This has not been an issue for me yet, so I am wondering about the use case?
( just want to anticipate a problem down the line.)

03-29-2014, 08:29 AM   #8
Veteran Member

How about one card is a lot faster than the other, and you want to switch to the faster card (or the slower one, in order to save the fast one).

Could easily happen if you have a (relatively slow) Flucard.

Right now this means switching on and off and juggling the cards. What a bore!

John
05-18-2014, 09:28 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I was just trying to figure this out too. I hope this gets addressed in a firmware update.
Having to open the camera to change what card is being used seems like it shouldn't be necessary.
05-18-2014, 10:40 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I was just trying to figure this out too.
Struck me today too.

About to begin shooting, formatted both cards in camera, then the last card to get formatted (#2) remained the active recording card. Had to switch the camera off, take card #2 out, close the card door, start camera up again, then it selected card #1 as the default, then switch off camera again, re-insert card #2 etc etc etc.

Hardly an elegant solution.
05-20-2014, 11:29 PM   #11

There are so many quality of life feature missing in the K3... I wish RICOH get a grip and implant them in their next firmware, or someone make a custom firmware...
05-21-2014, 08:02 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by leungclj Quote
There are so many quality of life feature missing in the K3... I wish RICOH get a grip and implant them in their next firmware, or someone make a custom firmware...
This is really the first annoying issue for me that seems like it was completely overlooked by Ricoh. I think for the most part the K-3 is well thought out and a pleasure to use. This scenario is not something I'm likely to hit often, but it could be a pain to encounter it in certain conditions.
Like a the bike race I'll be shooting this weekend in what is predicted to be bad weather. I'd like to keep the camera sealed up as much as possible even if I fill up a card.
05-21-2014, 08:50 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I'd like to keep the camera sealed up as much as possible even if I fill up a card.
Doesn't the camera just switch to the next card slot automatically? It has done so in my experience shooting dance competitions.

---------- Post added 05-21-14 at 09:02 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Struck me today too.

About to begin shooting, formatted both cards in camera, then the last card to get formatted (#2) remained the active recording card. Had to switch the camera off, take card #2 out, close the card door, start camera up again, then it selected card #1 as the default, then switch off camera again, re-insert card #2 etc etc etc.

Hardly an elegant solution.
Again - I believe the intent of the dual slots if you are assigning both as same use is for continuous capacity.
In that situation with matching cards why should I care what slot is written to?
One slot is not slower than the other AFAIK.
Only reason I would care if it is #2 or #1 is if I have OCD which fortunately (or unfortunately as I tend to be rather careless) I do not have.

(Obviously if you have assignments to the slots such as one jpg other raw, one wifi other not wifi or you are writing to both simultaneously in duplicate mode then I would expect all those settings to be respected.)
05-21-2014, 09:03 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Doesn't the camera just switch to the next card slot automatically? It has done so in my experience shooting dance competitions.
I guess I don't know. I'll test before the weekend with a small card. So far this is just a theoretical problem for me. That would make it less of a problem as running out of space is why I would need to switch cards. Maybe it's a (mostly) non-issue after all?
05-21-2014, 09:17 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just tested it by placing a very small capacity card only in slot 2.

Took a number of shots to where it was almost full, then put another card in slot 1.

Camera filled up card 2 then seamlessly switched to capturing to card 1 in the middle of a burst.

I had already proven this to myself when going from card 1 to 2, but had not tested going from card 2 to 1.

This works as I need it to, so is not an issue for me.