Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2013, 04:53 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Timelapse movie mode

Anyone know how to turn off the screen for timelapse movie mode , I did a test and think I may have over heated my camera . I though it was meant to auto turn off in the mode . A small mirror has now fallen out so probably due to the heating if the camera has soften the glues? Any have any thoughts? HELP

12-14-2013, 05:37 AM   #2
Pentaxian

What the? The latest flagship dSLR shakes itself to pieces doing a time lapse? That's a bit of a joke. It's a bit late to ask about turning off the screen. Send it back - that definitely sounds like a manufacturing fault.
12-14-2013, 06:16 AM   #3

Original Poster
Yep not happy! Awaiting a response from CRkennedy pretty happy with the camera otherwise . It has stopped auto focusing unless I'm using live view. Just hoping to see if anyone else out there know if their camera screens turn off when using timelapse movie mode
12-14-2013, 06:42 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Show us a picture.
Out of a kind of gruesome curiosity, I want to see the small mirror that fell out ...

12-14-2013, 06:50 AM   #5

Original Poster
I will ASAP, I'm at work until tomorrow . I flipped up the mirror and can see were it should be its only about 1cm across and was located towards the front of the camera on the lower section under senser
12-14-2013, 07:51 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Sounds like the small AF mirror - the one that feeds light into the AF assembly, and sits underneath the main mirror. Or the small reflex mirror that sits right inside the AF assembly itself.

Pic related.
Attached Images

12-14-2013, 07:54 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Sounds like the small AF mirror - the one that feeds light into the AF assembly, and sits underneath the main mirror. Or the small reflex mirror that sits right inside the AF assembly itself.

Pic related.
Is that Freddy Krueger's 43rd or 44th K-3?
12-14-2013, 10:15 AM   #8

Original Poster
It has two small black dots on the back - I thought it could be small AF mirror as AF is now not working when looking through the view finder, but contrast detection still works through live view

12-14-2013, 10:22 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by c_leabeater Quote
contrast detection still works through live view
Different systems entirely. Contrast detection just works off the main camera sensor. Normal AF works from the assembly you can see below the mirror.

I'd say your missing mirror is the small sub-mirror that flaps up and down just below the main mirror. The reflex mirror in the AF assembly is buried much more securely, and doesn't need to move at all. Pic related.
Attached Images

12-14-2013, 10:24 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by c_leabeater Quote
I though it was meant to auto turn off in the mode
Can you give us some more details on what happened? How long was it running? In a hot environment? What mode/settings exactly?
And sorry to ask, but was the camera shaken, rattled or dropped recently? Sometimes this kind of damage only shows up after some use
12-14-2013, 10:39 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Googling the issue shows up some early Canon's (300D, 40D, EOS ID Mark III '2007 - Canon have recalled all unsold EOS-1D Mark IIIs due to a fault with the AF Sub Mirror' etc) having similar problems, either after a lot of usage or just brand new. Pins that hold the mirror fall out, some stoppers or adhesives fail etc. So it's been known to happen.
12-14-2013, 10:43 AM   #12

Original Poster
Tripod 2 hour timelapse in movie mode, screen was as I was lead lead to believe turn off during this process . It didn't I came beck after 2 hours and the camera was hot , but seemed to work ok ( no testing) rear screen however had become fuzz in the left side ( very pixelated) a clear
Line down the middle ! I left the camera for an hour and checked again this line have almost disappeared and the screen had soon after returned to normal . I check the camera the following day and had issues focusing then found the small mirror after taking if the lens
12-14-2013, 12:34 PM   #13
Pentaxian

There's an option to turn off the rear display. When the Control Panel is displayed, press the Info button (p.12 of the manual).

Dan.
12-14-2013, 12:40 PM   #14

Original Poster
I tried that but pretty sure this doesn't work in movie mode timelapse , will check again! Thanks Dan
12-14-2013, 12:42 PM   #15

Original Poster
Can some with a k3 try the same settings to test if their screen will turn off in movie timelapse