Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2013, 05:19 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K-3 AFS select mode problem?

Hi

One thing that I have found ergonomically irritating about the K3 (well actually K5, and k5iis as well) is the issue switching drive mode setting whilst in focus point select mode and AFS. I find I have to exit that mode (to centre spot or another 'static' mode) to use the up/down/left/right toggles for anything other than moving the focus point around. I could be missing something here, but that is my general experience so far.

However, yesterday I wanted to use the focus point select mode but had the opposite problem. I couldn't toggle up or down to move the focus point, with the toggles simply performing their usual roles of WB, flash setting, Custom and Drive Mode. I reset the camera to factory settings and now it works as before.

Is this a feature I accidentally set so that the select focus point mode can be on but the L/R/U/D toggles are preforming their usual tasks? Or is this something that simply cannot/should not happen.

Any thoughts observations?

12-16-2013, 06:28 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yea,

I just press SD card selection button to change between these. press once, you can move AF point, press once you can select drive, flash... press once you can move AF poin, ect.

not sure if you ment this, or not.
12-16-2013, 06:40 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Yea,

I just press SD card selection button to change between these. press once, you can move AF point, press once you can select drive, flash... press once you can move AF poin, ect.

not sure if you ment this, or not.

Yes! That's exactly what I meant. That's my only really significant K3 niggle so far scrubbed off the list. Thank you very much indeed for this solution, I must have accidentally pressed the SD card select button. The only downside is that I've now reset to factory settings and need to get my custom setting back again and I can't quite remember what those were. Maybe I'll come up with a better set of custom settings this time round.

Cheers

Andrew
12-16-2013, 07:04 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I'm glad if I did help

Cheers!

Aapo

12-16-2013, 09:07 AM   #5

So there actually isn't a problem

We should have a thread going called I didn't read the manual so I'm having a problem instead of 50 threads claiming there are problems with the K-3.
12-16-2013, 09:46 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Painter Quote
We should have a thread going called I didn't read the manual so I'm having a problem instead of 50 threads claiming there are problems with the K-3.

Yes, I principal I agree. In this case I thought I had read the manual, but it seems this microscopic component had slid by my attention. Then upon experiencing the problem I couldn't find out how to interrogate the manual to find a solution, and to be frank I still can't find where there is a reference to pressing the SD card selection button to toggle between focus point selection and drive mode etc. Also I phrased the thread as 'K-3 AFS select mode problem?; intentionally placing the question mark there because I did not know if the camera had a problem or I did. I also made it clear in the text that I was open to the possibility that I'd accidentally activated an intentional function that locked me out of the AF select point mode. I was asking a question, "is this a problem" NOT stating that this IS a problem.
12-16-2013, 10:00 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Page 9 of the K-3 PDF manual? Found it buy searching for AF point

On the K5, it's the OK button if I'm not mistaken (press it for a while and it will toggle the function of the four-way controller; I only use center focus so might have changed it once in my life )
12-16-2013, 10:23 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
Page 9 of the K-3 PDF manual? Found it buy searching for AF point

On the K5, it's the OK button if I'm not mistaken (press it for a while and it will toggle the function of the four-way controller; I only use center focus so might have changed it once in my life )

Thanks, yes there it is on page 9. I didn't think to look there as I assumed that the information would be on page 46 under AF point. On closer inspection it is, and isn't, there. In my copy of the manual the SD card select button symbol is just pure black with no demarcation on it whatsoever and it is not named in the associated text. Yes I could have found this and pressed every button on the camera to find out which one they meant, but sadly I missed this nugget of obfuscated information. Then if I had turned to page 9 I would have had to read through every button's description to find the right one as it is not referenced as being related to AF in anyway via the index, nor is page 9 indicated on page 46 as containing that information.

I am not claiming that I am blameless in airing this question on a public forum as opposed to finding the answer in the manual. I do feel the manual leaves something to be desired in terms of print quality and completeness.

As I am clearly a lazy illiterate wolf crier all I can do is once again sincerely thank Aapo (repaap) for providing the answer, and your good self for guiding me through the manual.

12-16-2013, 11:58 AM   #9
Veteran Member

The hint was to use the PDF manual It's so much easier to search for things.

If you have a smart phone, I assume you can store and view the PDF on there (I don't have one so I'm not sure). It's also assumed that you carry it with you all the time
12-16-2013, 01:21 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Thanks for asking this question. I had the same problem while out shooting the other night.