Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2013, 06:00 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K-3 loves the cold!

I went shooting last Sunday and Monday, temperature below -20C both times. My fingers had more problems than the K-3 did. Mounted with a DA21 LTD, I'm very satisfied with the results (and for the record, there is no way I'd replace my 21 with the new HD, I'd loose those beautiful starbursts).

Enjoy!

12-18-2013, 06:31 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice series! I don't know how you folks can live and even go out at -20, give me +35 to 45 any day...
12-18-2013, 06:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I must echo that, very nice shots and hat of to you for going out in -20.
I freeze my butt of when it gets below +12c.
12-18-2013, 07:41 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Nice! I am going to Quebec City tomorrow, it's nice to know that my K-5 would probably survive the cold there(Although I myself may not...)

12-18-2013, 08:17 AM   #5
Veteran Member

For you folks in the U.S. ...you should know that -20 Celsius is only -4 Fahrenheit. However, that's about the temp where I plug my block heater in on the car overnight.
12-18-2013, 08:34 AM   #6

Beautiful photos! - congratulations.

What settings did you use?
12-18-2013, 08:44 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Very nice indeed. I've been having some issues in the cold with my K-5 but maybe the battery is either losing its mojo or is less charged than it shows in the meter at room temperature.

This reminds me I should get some night pictures while we still have snow on the ground.
12-18-2013, 09:12 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elpolodiablo Quote
Nice! I am going to Quebec City tomorrow, it's nice to know that my K-5 would probably survive the cold there(Although I myself may not...)
You'll love it! If you want pointers on what to see, feel free to contact me with your interests and I'll do my best to guide you. Quebec city is always beautiful, but particularly so at this time of year.

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
Nice series! I don't know how you folks can live and even go out at -20, give me +35 to 45 any day...
It's celcius, but still. You get used to it, I guess. We have a saying : there's no such thing as too cold, there's only people with the wrong clothes.

QuoteOriginally posted by JayBee451 Quote
I must echo that, very nice shots and hat of to you for going out in -20.
I freeze my butt of when it gets below +12c.
Only my fingers got cold from handling the tripod and camera, for the rest a good jacket gets the job done.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ztrejfer Quote
Beautiful photos! - congratulations.

What settings did you use?
P mode,, selecting the aperture when I wanted to ensure I got a deep DOF. WB stayed in auto (I should have changed that, the church shots turned out too red before post processing). 2 seconds timer, mounted on the tripod, electronic level used at all times (boy do I love that feature), AF on the closest and brightest light source.

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Very nice indeed. I've been having some issues in the cold with my K-5 but maybe the battery is either losing its mojo or is less charged than it shows in the meter at room temperature.
My battery is brand new but showed half power at room temperature. My K20D used to have problems in the cold, it would work but sometimes the mirror would remain up for a few seconds, and the battery depleted quite fast.

12-18-2013, 09:34 AM   #9
Site Supporter

I'm still paying the price of frostbite in high school, two snowballs and it's time to soak my hands in warm water
Very nice images, and I really like the tree shot - everything else has a warm streetlamp glow yet it's so very white!

Those church shots are great, exposure is excellent - how did you meter for those?

Last edited by jimr-pdx; 12-18-2013 at 09:45 AM.
12-18-2013, 09:46 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
Very nice images, and I really like the tree shot - everything else has a warm streetlamp glow yet it's so very white!
I believe multizone AWB helped for that!
12-18-2013, 06:10 PM   #11

Pentax can handle the cold, so far my K3 at -25 and my Kx to -34.
12-18-2013, 06:12 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I went shooting last Sunday and Monday, temperature below -20C both times. My fingers had more problems than the K-3 did. Mounted with a DA21 LTD, I'm very satisfied with the results (and for the record, there is no way I'd replace my 21 with the new HD, I'd loose those beautiful starbursts).

Enjoy!
Is that the trestel in Cap-Rouge in the first pic?

Lovely pictures!
12-18-2013, 06:20 PM   #13
Site Supporter

My battery is brand new but showed half power at room temperature. My K20D used to have problems in the cold, it would work but sometimes the mirror would remain up for a few seconds, and the battery depleted quite fast.
I went out today (some pictures here) and had two batteries. The first one was a generic (third party) and lasted approximately 50 shots. I then put the Pentax DLI-90 and shot maybe 250 more pics and there was plenty shots left in the battery.
12-18-2013, 07:09 PM   #14
Pentaxian

You'll love it! If you want pointers on what to see, feel free to contact me with your interests and I'll do my best to guide you. Quebec city is always beautiful, but particularly so at this time of year.
Cheers man, I am going to be there by train 9am and stay up till 5pm, just for the day I haven't had any plan yet but heard lower town(or is it old town?)and Rue Saint Louis is well worth a walk, I love old buildings and hope to maybe try a bit of local food too Do you think I should venture out of the old town at all?

Last edited by elpolodiablo; 12-18-2013 at 07:19 PM.
12-19-2013, 05:59 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
Is that the trestel in Cap-Rouge in the first pic?
Yes it is, but it's spelled tracel

Lovely pictures!
Thanks!

I went out today (some pictures here) and had two batteries. The first one was a generic (third party) and lasted approximately 50 shots. I then put the Pentax DLI-90 and shot maybe 250 more pics and there was plenty shots left in the battery.
With my K20D I could not spot a difference between my original battery and the Impact knockoff I had as backup. With the K-3 I don't yet have a spare, I'm waiting for Christmas.

QuoteOriginally posted by elpolodiablo Quote
Cheers man, I am going to be there by train 9am and stay up till 5pm, just for the day I haven't had any plan yet but heard lower town(or is it old town?)and Rue Saint Louis is well worth a walk, I love old buildings and hope to maybe try a bit of local food too Do you think I should venture out of the old town at all?
If you only have one day, then yeah, pretty much stick to the old town and the port. The area called "Petit Champlain" will be gorgeous, as will be the area around the Chateau Frontenac. You could also head to Rue St-Joseph, not far but a longish hike if you're on foot, it's a beautiful commercial street. The parliament area, Rue St-Jean and Carr d'Youville are nearer to the old town and wonderful too. If you come by train up to Gare du Palais, you'll be between St-Joseph and the old town, right in the port area. The nice thing is that most things can be seen by foot, at least in the old town. You can also grab the ferry for a beautiful view from the south shore. There are many beautiful things to see elsewhere but since you only have one day...

Restaurants in the Petit Champlain are ok but mostly tourist traps. You'll do better on St-Jean. If you can afford it, Chez Boulay is probably the best-regarded restaurant in the area nowadays.