Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2013, 12:01 PM   #46
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jon Quote
The only segment of the photography industry with growth potential at the moment is Mirrorless cameras. An FF DSLR would surely increase the perception of Pentax in the Pro-DSLR discussion, but Canon and Nikon are struggling for not effectively embracing mirrorless quickly enough and find themselves losing sales to Fujifilm, Sony, and even Olympus's m4/3. While us Pentax DSLR shooters want an FF option, I agree that the market as a whole may not need one. Since Pentax would have to build a new lens line regardless of choice, A Q-style camera with a reasonable sensor size (APS-C) might be more viable. Mind you, they shouldn't associate it with the Q system.
Yeah, right.
The DSLR to MILC ratio increased from last year, judging by CIPA published production levels (for January-October).

12-22-2013, 08:35 AM   #47
bvg

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Pentax K-3 - 32.9%
May be it means something, but Amazon's "poll" shows #50 for K-3 in DSLR category.
12-22-2013, 08:45 AM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Has anyone ever figured out what Amazon's numbers mean?
12-22-2013, 09:52 AM   #49
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Has anyone ever figured out what Amazon's numbers mean?
I wish they would count models regardless of the kit - they count by SKU#. I suppose that really affects the K50 and Q7 since each standard color of kit is a unique SKU#.

12-22-2013, 09:59 AM   #50
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Use yours a bit longer and try, really try and you will find an issue. That's why we buy cameras, right? To find issues?

Steve

...and if you don't find an issue of your own, you can always borrow one from another user. The same two or three are generously shared such that even people with no issues can talk about the issues they might have.
Well, yeah, I get that. But plagued with issues? I mean, I know, I'm "The Plan" guy - the eternal optimist, but plagued? That's a little over the top I think.

I have a Honda Accord. Every time I get in I bang my right knee on the corner of the dash - it sticks out too far. But I'm not jumping to a Camry because my Honda is plagued with issues.
12-22-2013, 03:28 PM   #51
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
This is the part of the Pentax forum, I finds most amusing… rousing the rabble to fudge a poll.
Not that you'd ever observe such behaviour on Nikon or Canon forums...
12-22-2013, 03:48 PM   #52
Pentaxian

The K-3 has about 1863 votes so far. I'm not sure we can be so effective at "rousing the rabble"
12-22-2013, 04:01 PM   #53
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Well, yeah, I get that. But plagued with issues? I mean, I know, I'm "The Plan" guy - the eternal optimist, but plagued? That's a little over the top I think.

I have a Honda Accord. Every time I get in I bang my right knee on the corner of the dash - it sticks out too far. But I'm not jumping to a Camry because my Honda is plagued with issues.
Does anybody "jump" to a Camry? I would have thought their walking frames might have limited such behaviour.

So far, my K-3 is plagued with non-issues, but then again, my DA*16-50 was like that for a while, too...

12-22-2013, 04:04 PM   #54
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Well, yeah, I get that. But plagued with issues?
Try real hard and you can be plagued with issues as well! It is a matter of attitude and desire. To get your share of issues, you really have to be focused on getting them. Focus your entity and issues you will have. The ultimate, of course is when you have enough issues to justify asking for an RMA and then you can have the chance to find the same and new issues with the replacement. Like heaven on earth, I tell ya!

Steve
12-23-2013, 08:20 AM   #55
Site Supporter

Reality Sets In?

Not to be an alarmist or maybe I'm just over-reacting to small changes, but the other shoe has begun to drop. The steady upwards climb of the K-3 has stopped, reversed and it's lost 6/tenths of a point (from a high of 33.1% at 11:30AM yesterday) to 32.5% at 8:00AM today. Roughly 1/10 point every three hours.
During the same period, the Canon 70D, Nikon D7100 and Nikon Df have each gained a tenth or so. Now, that alone may not seem like much, but that trio had either stayed steady or dropped slightly while the K-3 had a nearly straight-line increase the whole time.
Canikon has awakened, it appears.
Also, the 'smaller' % models of Sony and Canon have made it out of the 0.4's to 3.0 or 4.0 %, again pulling new voters away from the K-3.
So, now we can guess when this poll will end. When somebody (or, 2 somebodies) pass the K-3!.
I may be a certified cynic when it comes to DPR, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.
Ron
12-23-2013, 08:27 AM   #56
Pentaxian

Well, there are obviously more of them, everyone go to the Library, create a false login and vote twice...
12-25-2013, 12:05 AM   #57
Veteran Member

Another reason : maybe all pentaxians due to this forum seem fairly organized and an aggravated lot :-) . They wish to make it a point to upvote the k3 just to keep it in the lead.
Am I suggesting fanboyism? Sure not but then what else could it be termed? I havent explored the forums of nikon sony canon etc cameras. Are they also as active? I guess yes....
12-25-2013, 01:34 PM   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by danny09 Quote
Another reason : maybe all pentaxians due to this forum seem fairly organized and an aggravated lot :-) . They wish to make it a point to upvote the k3 just to keep it in the lead.
Am I suggesting fanboyism? Sure not but then what else could it be termed? I havent explored the forums of nikon sony canon etc cameras. Are they also as active? I guess yes....
If you read the number of people who actually have D7100s, you'd know that a lot of them didn't vote for their camera. The logical conclusion would be a lot of Pentaxians are happier with their cameras.

Nikon D7100, 610 people own it, compared to 181 who own a K-3. Yet the K-3 is way ahead of it in votes.

You can make up negative stuff about Pentaxians, and troll the forum, and you don't really need to look at what's there, which is actually pretty interesting. Better to just call Pentax users names and try and get them to respond.

Posters who say stuff like this, if the poll said a Canon or Nikon was ahead, that would be proof Pentax has to , improve AF, get a new flash system, have more lenses, and any combination of the above. If Pentax is ahead, it's because Pentax users are aggressive poll takers. There is no way by this line of logic you can be a Pentax user and possibly have a good product.

To which I say, bah humbug.

have a merry Christmas everyone.
12-26-2013, 04:33 AM   #59
Pentaxian

Generally, numbers don't lie. And if we have big numbers, the probability of error is even smaller.

I had done an analyze of numbers in DPReview Poll. I will write first the conclusion, after this, the numbers and there significance.

And my conclusion is that is not a case of fanboyism, but that K-3 is very well perceived by a big number of people, not only Pentaxians.

The Analyze:

There are three important numbers.

1. Number of votes, and I will designate with NoV.
2. Numbers of peoples who posses, or has, or wish to posses a certain camera, which I will designate as NoP.
3. Percentage of votes / possession for each camera. I will designate this with PVP = NoV / NoP. I think that this is the most important.

Canon 70D - NoP = 555 - NoV = 1130 - PVP = 203%
Canon 100D - NoP = 275 - NoV = 277 - PVP = 101%
Canon 700D - NoP = 145 - NoV = 55 - PVP = 38%
Nikon Df - NoV = 1082
Nikon D610 - NoP = 247 - NoV = 645 - PVP = 261%
Nikon D5300 - NoP = 93 - NoV = 97 - PVP = 104%
Nikon D7100 - NoP = 889 - NoV = 1095 - PVP = 123%
Pentax K-3 - NoP = 541 - NoV = 2170 - PVP = 401%
Pentax K-50 - NoP = 75 - NoV = 69 - PVP = 92%
Pentax K-500 - NoP = 45 - NoV = 28 - PVP = 62%
Sony SLT-A58 - NoP = 86 - NoV = 284 - PVP = 330%

Those numbers where valid about one hour ago, when I cast my vote.

So, Pentax K-3 is not the only camera with very big number of votes, over owners. But is the first, Sony SLT-A58 is second with 330%, and Nikon D610 the third, with 261%.

Last edited by JimmyDranox; 12-26-2013 at 04:45 AM.
12-26-2013, 05:38 AM   #60
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Preventing fanboyism to a degree would of course be DPReview dismissing the votes for own camera or brand, just counting the ones who have voted their "not own" model or brand, ending up with votes of which is best, but not the one I use.

Also, the poll is somewhat skewed in favor of Pentax, because there is really just one Pentax option for the "best DSLR" in the list - come on, the other two Pentax models don't really belong to the list, funneling the Pentax votes to just one model, while the other brands (except the last one) have multiple valid options causing spread, giving Pentax an advantage.