Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2013, 06:06 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I can confirm that the firmware will not install if the camera battery is not fully charged

Started the firmware install procedure, camera then came up with a warning along the lines of: 'you don't have enough battery power to proceed' and would not allow me to go any further. So I turned the camera off, changed the battery to a new (fully charged) one, and everything went fine.
Same here, my battery was roughly at 70% and it wouldn't execute, fully charged it took less than a minute. Everything working fine so far.

12-20-2013, 12:59 PM   #47
Forum Member

AF Refusal

QuoteOriginally posted by krebsy75 Quote
For what it's worth: I've experienced the AF refusal thing on a variety of K5 and K5II bodies and lenses. Annoying as hell. I never experienced this on the K10D and K20D.
Can someone clarify what they mean by this?

I sometimes hit the shutter button and it won't fire, or focus, but if I move the body so that a focus point lights up, then it fires. Is that it? I figured it was a bad setting, probably documented only in the comprehensive manual they failed to supply.
12-20-2013, 01:01 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BretW Quote
Can someone clarify what they mean by this?

I sometimes hit the shutter button and it won't fire, or focus, but if I move the body so that a focus point lights up, then it fires. Is that it? I figured it was a bad setting, probably documented only in the comprehensive manual they failed to supply.

You described it perfectly. The problem seems worse on the K-5II models as compared to the K-5 classic.
12-20-2013, 01:08 PM   #49
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by krebsy75 Quote
You described it perfectly. The problem seems worse on the K-5II models as compared to the K-5 classic.
Thanks! But, my god... That's terrible! If it was a setting, there's hope of solving it on one's own. But if that's a glitch, I'm gonna miss a jaguar pouncing on an eagle or something!

Is it just some bodies, and not all of them? If so, isn't it a return or warranty issue?

Bret

p.s. I'm getting it on a K3

Last edited by BretW; 12-20-2013 at 01:10 PM. Reason: added the p.s.
12-20-2013, 01:19 PM   #50
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I counted (manually) 50 seconds for the update process. Smooth as silk.
12-20-2013, 01:22 PM   #51
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If so, isn't a return or warranty issue?
Probably not. The camera may just be refusing to fire because it has nothing to focus on within the focus frame. Note that the default setting for both AF.S and AF.C is 'focus priority', which tells it not to shoot unless it has something to focus on.

The K-5II manual has an entry for 'Autofocus does not work' in the Trouble Shooting section of the manual that relates:
QuoteQuote:
"The subject is not in the focusing area - Position the subject in the focus frame in the middle of the viewfinder. If the subject is outside of the focusing area, aim the camera at the subject and lock the focus, then compose a picture and press the shutter release button fully"
12-20-2013, 01:33 PM   #52
Forum Member

Ok, that's better. A bug, documented, is a feature in my book.
12-20-2013, 01:46 PM   #53
Veteran Member

I saw this problem once in a blue moon with an original K-5. Notably with the DA* 55mm. It happens much more frequently with K-5II cams. Notable the 77mm and 55mm.

Thanks! But, my god... That's terrible! If it was a setting, there's hope of solving it on one's own. But if that's a glitch, I'm gonna miss a jaguar pouncing on an eagle or something!

Is it just some bodies, and not all of them? If so, isn't it a return or warranty issue?

Bret

p.s. I'm getting it on a K3

12-20-2013, 02:02 PM   #54
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Ok, that's better. A bug, documented, is a feature in my book.
Remember, this is the K-3 focus frame:

Similarly, here's the K-5 II's

It seems normal and logical, not a 'bug', to expect that AF will only work - and hence your shutter fire (under default settings) - when there is a 'focusable' target within that frame.
12-20-2013, 02:30 PM   #55
Forum Member

I take your point, but that building ain't going anywhere. My jaguar, on the other hand...
12-20-2013, 04:10 PM   #56
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
It's a little freaky with this update.

When you load the update, the camera with flash "Loading" and if you miss the "complete" and the blinking SD card light by a second, the camera will just go blank.

In the past, the update would "blink complete" for as long as it took until you turned off the camera.

I put my one K3 down, and looked away and did something, and almost freaked because it was just a black screen when I came back.

Good thing I had another K3 where I actually watched the process.

So don't freak if you miss the "complete".

Exactly that happened to me, I was really worried. After following firm update instructions. Camera screen showed NOW LOADING ......... and then it was just black

I waited -terrified- for some minutes.....

Black Screen. no "Complete" .... oh my !

Then I pushed the camera shoot button, and k-3 came to life ....... then I tried menu, fimware ..... and there you go, 1.01 buffffff
12-20-2013, 04:19 PM   #57
Site Supporter

HEY, that football shot is from a D3!
12-20-2013, 05:24 PM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
HEY, that football shot is from a D3!
fixed
12-20-2013, 10:01 PM   #59
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Anyone else have problems with video mode since the firmware update? I can't record more than 1-2 seconds before the display goes blank and the camera freezes up. Note, however, that this only occurs with the battery grip attached, and I am one of the people experiencing "power-on" issues with my battery grip. Not sure if it's related. Video seems to work fine without the battery grip.
12-21-2013, 02:40 AM   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rskura Quote
Anyone else have problems with video mode since the firmware update? I can't record more than 1-2 seconds before the display goes blank and the camera freezes up. Note, however, that this only occurs with the battery grip attached, and I am one of the people experiencing "power-on" issues with my battery grip. Not sure if it's related. Video seems to work fine without the battery grip.

No grip on mine, no video problems. Firmware 1.01.