Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2013, 09:21 AM   #31

Photos: Gallery
Be sure to format your card after update before shooting. I neglected to do this and it caused the camera to think no SD card was present after shooting a couple of frames.

12-19-2013, 10:21 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Question:

I downloaded the file, fwdc220b.bin - simple enough. I clicked on the file, and the computer showed an unzipping cartoon and a second file was produced - fwdc220b.bin.cpgz.

I assume it is the original file (before my accidental unzipping) that is to be used?

Thanks,

Jer
12-19-2013, 10:32 AM   #33

The file needs to end in a .bin extension. My guess is you ran into an extraction error. I would download 7-zip (7-Zip) and use that to extract.
12-19-2013, 10:47 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tumbleweedlabs Quote
The file needs to end in a .bin extension. My guess is you ran into an extraction error. I would download 7-zip (7-Zip) and use that to extract.
Thanks much, but I'm still a bit confused. The instructions on the Pentax website describe the file as "self-extracting" - what does that mean?

Thanks again.

Jer

12-19-2013, 10:51 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In Windows the file downloads as an EXE file. Double click it and it extracts a .bin file.
If you used used an Run command vs a Save command and it ran the file after it downloaded it and did the extract for you.
FYI that is a dangerous practice.
12-19-2013, 11:13 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
In Windows the file downloads as an EXE file. Double click it and it extracts a .bin file.
If you used used an Run command vs a Save command and it ran the file after it downloaded it and did the extract for you.
FYI that is a dangerous practice.
Whoops - sorry, I should have mentioned I'm using a Mac. The file downloads simply as fwdc220b.bin, which - according to the Pentax instructions - is the exact name of the file I should copy onto the card. When I clicked on this file (which is not prescribed in the instructions), it produced a second one, fwdc220b.bin.cpgz. The Pentax instructions say nothing about this second file - they do describe fwdc220b.bin as "self-extracting."

Had I followed the Pentax instructions, I simply would have copied fwdc220b.bin onto the card and proceeded as usual for a firmware update. I suspect that will work, but now that I've opened up this can of worms, I want to be sure I'm copying the proper file.

Jer
12-19-2013, 11:44 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Whoops - sorry, I should have mentioned I'm using a Mac. The file downloads simply as fwdc220b.bin, which - according to the Pentax instructions - is the exact name of the file I should copy onto the card. When I clicked on this file (which is not prescribed in the instructions), it produced a second one, fwdc220b.bin.cpgz. The Pentax instructions say nothing about this second file - they do describe fwdc220b.bin as "self-extracting."

Had I followed the Pentax instructions, I simply would have copied fwdc220b.bin onto the card and proceeded as usual for a firmware update. I suspect that will work, but now that I've opened up this can of worms, I want to be sure I'm copying the proper file.

Jer
You have to copy the fwdc220b.bin to the card as it is.

It is indeed a self extracting file but it is intended to 'self-extract' itself inside the camera rather than in the PC / Mac.

12-19-2013, 12:41 PM   #38
Veteran Member

HDR capture processing does move along somewhat faster. I estimated 7-8 seconds after shutter press to get a review picture on the screen. I don't know what it was before, but I recall that it seemed to take a much longer time.

John
12-19-2013, 01:22 PM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PALADIN85020 Quote
HDR capture processing does move along somewhat faster. I estimated 7-8 seconds after shutter press to get a review picture on the screen. I don't know what it was before, but I recall that it seemed to take a much longer time.

It would be nice if someone measures the HDR processing time, just before performing the update, and then again just afterwards.

Dan.
12-19-2013, 03:09 PM   #40
Veteran Member

I can confirm that the firmware will not install if the camera battery is not fully charged

Started the firmware install procedure, camera then came up with a warning along the lines of: 'you don't have enough battery power to proceed' and would not allow me to go any further. So I turned the camera off, changed the battery to a new (fully charged) one, and everything went fine.
12-19-2013, 03:55 PM   #41
Pentaxian

The PDAF continuous shooting is slightly faster but not by very much. I didn't measure pre and post the upgrade.
12-19-2013, 04:04 PM   #42
Veteran Member

I went out shooting today after updating and had the "mirror-gone-crazy" thing happen. First time it's ever happened to me on any body. Continued after I turned off the power, but quit before I could remove the battery. Noticed that it turned my AF-confirm beep back on. I had it off. Also had a few instances where the shutter refused to release due to inability to lock focus, though for the life of me I couldn't figure out why. Plenty of light, plenty of contrast, and plenty of edges. This was in AF-S mode. Also just refused to AF a few times, again for no apparent reason. Was using my Sigma 100-300/4 that has always operated flawlessly. Had to go manual several times. Made me feel like I was back shooting with a K-7. Plenty of charge on the battery, btw. Gonna need some more FW updates pretty quickly.
12-19-2013, 04:21 PM   #43
Veteran Member

For what it's worth: I've experienced the AF refusal thing on a variety of K5 and K5II bodies and lenses. Annoying as hell. I never experienced this on the K10D and K20D.
12-19-2013, 04:43 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
You have to copy the fwdc220b.bin to the card as it is.

It is indeed a self extracting file but it is intended to 'self-extract' itself inside the camera rather than in the PC / Mac.
Thanks much - makes sense and consistent with instructions. I've only had the camera for a few days, so - after thinking about it - I'll hold off for a couple of weeks to get a behavioral base line before doing the update.

Jer
12-19-2013, 06:34 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by krebsy75 Quote
For what it's worth: I've experienced the AF refusal thing on a variety of K5 and K5II bodies and lenses. Annoying as hell. I never experienced this on the K10D and K20D.
I have to, but it hadn't happened to me with the K-3 until today. Don't know if the FW update had anything to do with it or not.