Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2013, 12:17 AM   #1
Site Supporter

My 2 Cents

Should I post this in the K5 forum, telling you badly my K5 performs, or place it here, telling you what the real improvements of the K3 are...
Part of my Pentax gear has already been sold on eBay, more was already listed on eBay, before I thought, I give Pentax a last chance with the K3.

K5: AF, MF precision crap. K3 requires less adjustments and all my Pentax lenses have basically the same adjustment not far from zero. Better AF performance (so far) in low light as well. Less focus hunting and re-adjustment when touching the focus button again. Katzeye from my K5 works without shimming. Still trouble focusing the DA300 with Tamron 1.4TC and center AF point unless lots of light is present.
K5: instant review not existing. K3 interesting implementation of quick review vs. quick replay. Review mode is not connected to play mode.
K3 focus zoom in live view is more cumbersome than for K5.
Three user modes on the K3 dial are great!
K3 gapless display helps a lot.
K3 has 24MP, data I do not need, but they come in the package
K3 has second SD card slot - nice feature
K3 footprint is still compact!

Time to congratulate Ricoh for fixing the most pressing Hoya/Pentax issues. I need to mention that Olympus is still a most tempting alternative. 16MP are enough, small footprint, nicer lenses (currently)... keep the good work up.

Now that basic operation is insured, I will have a loser look on the AA filtering, 24MP advantage and keep waiting for interesting new lenses and a Pentax TC.

I should add that the correspondence between the highlighted focus spot and the actual focus point is also much better for K3 than for the K5. For the K5 the highlighted spot was off by half the spot size - you get used to it though.

Last edited by zapp; 12-19-2013 at 10:59 AM.
12-19-2013, 12:54 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Interesting perspective.
But you are aware that AF adjustments are as much lens related as camera body related. Two variables at work.

Some lenses of mine that are OK on the K-5 need adjustment on the K-3. Others need adjustment on the K-5 but not the K-3. And a lens that may be perfect on the K-3 may not be perfect on my K-x

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
and a Pentax TC
Agreed. There can be no good technical excuse for the LONG delay in issuing this relatively simple bit of gear.
12-19-2013, 12:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Interesting perspective.
But you are aware that AF adjustments are as much lens related as camera body related. Two variables at work.

Some lenses of mine that are OK on the K-5 need adjustment on the K-3. Others need adjustment on the K-5 but not the K-3. And a lens that may be perfect on the K-3 may not be perfect on my K-x

Agreed. There can be no good technical excuse for the LONG delay in issuing this relatively simple bit of gear.
What kind of adjustments and how do you determine when they're needed?

Thx a relative newbie named Dave
12-19-2013, 02:12 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by davids8560 Quote
What kind of adjustments and how do you determine when they're needed?
For my most commonly used AF lenses mounted on the K-5 and K-3, I have tested them out with my Lens Align, then made adjustments using the AF adjustment menu in the cameras.

Sometimes the problem is also simply obvious before any testing, like the significant front-focus I have on the K-5 with my Tamron 28-75. The lens was great on my K-x, but when I got a K-5 and mounted it, everything shot wide-open was out of focus, even flat, static targets, but everything some small distance in front of the subject was sharp. After AF adjustment, the lens AF is still not perfectly accurate, but now produces much sharper results.

Most of my lenses are fine though, so I usually don't bother with adjustments. But if something seems funny, or I have an important shoot ahead of me, I'll do some tests and make adjustments as required.

12-19-2013, 03:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Should I post this in the K5 forum, telling you badly my K5 performs, or place it here, telling you what the real improvements of the K3 are...
Part of my Pentax gear has already been sold on eBay, more was already listed on eBay, before I thought, I give Pentax a last chance with the K3.

K5: AF, MF precision crap. K3 requires less adjustments and all my Pentax lenses have basically the same adjustment not far from zero. Better AF performance (so far) in low light as well. Less focus hunting and re-adjustment when touching the focus button again. Katzeye from my K5 works without shimming. Still trouble focusing the DA300 with Tamron 1.4TC and center AF point unless lots of light is present.
K5: instant review not existing. K3 interesting implementation of quick review vs. quick replay. Review mode is not connected to play mode.
K3 focus zoom in live view is more cumbersome than for K5.
Three user modes on the K3 dial are great!
K3 gapless display helps a lot.
K3 has 24MP, data I do not need, but they come in the package
K3 has second SD card slot - nice feature
K3 footprint is still compact!

Time to congratulate Ricoh for fixing the most pressing Hoya/Pentax issues. I need to mention that Olympus is still a most tempting alternative. 16MP are enough, small footprint, nicer lenses (currently)... keep the good work up.

Now that basic operation is insured, I will have a loser look on the AA filtering, 24MP advantage and keep waiting for interesting new lenses and a Pentax TC.
So, is your Pentax gear still on ebay? Did they pass their 'last chance' and convince you to stay with a Pentax system?
12-19-2013, 10:49 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
For my most commonly used AF lenses mounted on the K-5 and K-3, I have tested them out with my Lens Align, then made adjustments using the AF adjustment menu in the cameras.

Sometimes the problem is also simply obvious before any testing, like the significant front-focus I have on the K-5 with my Tamron 28-75. The lens was great on my K-x, but when I got a K-5 and mounted it, everything shot wide-open was out of focus, even flat, static targets, but everything some small distance in front of the subject was sharp. After AF adjustment, the lens AF is still not perfectly accurate, but now produces much sharper results.

Most of my lenses are fine though, so I usually don't bother with adjustments. But if something seems funny, or I have an important shoot ahead of me, I'll do some tests and make adjustments as required.
I used Lens Align. Adjustment needed AFTER PENTAX service was +12, scale ends at +10. The range of all my Pentax lenses was +7 to +12. Now all lenses meet at +2. It was the camera. I also shimmed my focusing screen: -35 micron, which is huge. No adjustment needed in my K3 now. Again the camera. This can happen with any camera from any manufacturer, but I don't like that to happen.
Next step will be more thourough testing of the glass for misalignment.

AF wise you can adjust as much as you want with a K5. If you experience difficult light conditions, forget it.

Last edited by zapp; 12-19-2013 at 10:54 AM.
12-19-2013, 10:54 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Poit Quote
So, is your Pentax gear still on ebay? Did they pass their 'last chance' and convince you to stay with a Pentax system?
I am not saying that I will stay for good. I have worked with all major brands and right now the K3 meets my needs.
Be aware that my K5 will show up on eBay soon. You don't want to buy that camera if you care about your images.

The Olympus OM-D EM1 has the same pixel pitch as the K3 and I am happy with just 16MP. The lenses offered by Olympus are much more tempting than Pentax gear. Pentax should present a couple more SDM DA* lenses. Like a large aperture wide angle, a TC, a large aperture tele lens. We have not seen any really useful new lens in a couple years now. Having invested in Pentax glass, I will stick around a little longer. Only my FA31 had to go. Pointless retrofocus design for an APS-C camera. I also use my 21/40 combo more often rather than the FA31

Last edited by zapp; 12-19-2013 at 11:01 AM.