Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2015, 01:55 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Metz AF 64 works perfectly with the K3, both on and off the camera, used here on camera with a Graslon Prodigy diffuser. Lens is DA* 50-135/2.8 at 50mm,

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by GeneV; 01-06-2015 at 02:04 PM.
01-07-2015, 04:46 PM   #17

Photos: Albums
My Metz 48 AF-1 works great on the K3!

obin
05-17-2016, 05:08 AM   #18

My Sigma FE-530 super se, just came back from the Sigma service and I can confirm that HSS is not working on my Pentax K50. Although now it works fine on normal speeds up to 1/180. I've wrote them an email to check if they are going to solve this problem in the future. I'll keep you posted
05-24-2016, 09:20 AM   #19
Veteran Member

You might need to update your firmware. I don't know if you can upgrade the firmware on Sigma flashes, but it was necessary for my Metz 50 AF-1 to work on my K-3 in HSS.

When I first got it the flash worked great at sync speed and below, but when I tried high speed sync it seemed so dim that I might as well have just increased my ISO. I know HSS isn't as bright as regular flash, but it didn't seem right, so on a whim I looked online for a firmware update. Once I updated the firmware it worked perfectly. Someone else on the forum had the same issue and couldn't figure it out, but after I told him he updated his firmware and had it working too. It must be something about the timing between the flash trigger and the shutter duration that is different with the K-3 than previous bodies.

05-24-2016, 03:21 PM   #20
Veteran Member

No one has mentioned the Metz 52-AF1 here. But I can report that it works fine on the K-3. All flash features supported.

Base model Sigma EF-530 DG ST also works happily on K-3.
05-29-2016, 11:59 AM   #21

My Sigma 500DG Super doesnt work on K1 or K3.

Sigma Japan say theirs does so mine has gone off to SIgma UK. My Sigma ring flash ( after a lot of faffing) is working on Ks 1 and 3.
05-30-2016, 07:10 AM   #22
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
from what little I've used it so far, my Cactus RF60 works very nicely on my K-3...

06-13-2016, 03:03 AM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by tx0h Quote
can you/anyone else confirm that this flash has an effect on images when using HSS (FP) and shutterspeeds shorter than 1/180 (1/160)? when i set the flash to FP (HSS) and set the shutter to about 1/250s i can't see any effect in the image. [...] camera problem? flash problem? user problem?
Please remind me how to get into Sigma HSS mode settings (they are cumbersome), so I can check with my EF-610 DG Super flash and K-3 camera.

-----
QuoteOriginally posted by Billgscott Quote
My Sigma ring flash (after a lot of faffing) is working on Ks 1 and 3.
What kind of faffing?
BTW I tried to use Sigma EM-140 DG for portraiture work, but with no success (unavoidable red-eyes effect).
Actually, Sigma EM-140 DG is NOT a ring flash, it just has two small left- right- side flash units under its opaque ring.

Last edited by Prakticant; 06-13-2016 at 03:08 AM.
06-13-2016, 08:14 AM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Prakticant Quote
Please remind me how to get into Sigma HSS mode settings (they are cumbersome), so I can check with my EF-610 DG Super flash and K-3 camera.
It is in the manual, but that is a pain. The setting is hard to find and the documentation does not help:
  • Use any of the modes where "TTL" is displayed at top left
  • Push the "+" button. Depending on mode, "FP" will immediately appear at top center or will require cycling through multiple options. When "FP" (a reference to legacy Focal Plane sync and flash bulbs) is displayed, you are in HSS mode.

Steve
06-13-2016, 12:24 PM   #25

Sigma 500DG Super can NOT be upgraded by sigma.

They will do a part ex on a new 610 though.
06-14-2016, 01:51 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by klkitchens Quote
I simply use Lumopro flashes: LP-120 and LP-160 now (discontinued), will get two LP-180s in the future. If I need it hot-shoe mounted, i use a sync cable from the PC port.

TTL is so iffy, it's better to control the flash manually and be able to take it off camera as much as possible (if not always) for better lighting.
Old quote, but why would you need a sync cable to use those flashes on the hot shoe? I assume the hot shoe contact will trigger manual flashes like usual? (researching camera purchase...)
06-16-2016, 04:27 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
* Use any of the modes where "TTL" is displayed at top left
* Push the "+" button.
Depending on mode, "FP" will immediately appear at top center or will require cycling through multiple options.
When "FP" is displayed, you are in HSS mode
So I do confirm my Sigma EF-610 DG Super (I have no idea about firmware) works in HSS (Sigma FP) mode with my K-3 body (fw v. 1.21, DA* 16-50mm).
Please do not forget to dilligently set & check ISO and f (lens aperture) along with shutter speed. It seems Sigma EF-610 has a lot of power which does not decreases easily (in HSS/FP mode) for wide-open lenses (i.e. 2.8) or high ISO (i.e. 400 and above), depending on your subject tone (light/dark) and subject distance. When testing (indoors, sunny day around noon) I had to bounce flash head to the room ceilling as direct flash caused strong overexposure (light subject, distance 2 yards) - as K-3 metering system (in Program & Tv modes) tried to keep the lens wide open.

Last edited by Prakticant; 06-16-2016 at 04:34 AM.
06-16-2016, 09:34 AM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Prakticant Quote
So I do confirm my Sigma EF-610 DG Super (I have no idea about firmware) works in HSS (Sigma FP) mode with my K-3 body (fw v. 1.21, DA* 16-50mm).
Please do not forget to dilligently set & check ISO and f (lens aperture) along with shutter speed. It seems Sigma EF-610 has a lot of power which does not decreases easily (in HSS/FP mode) for wide-open lenses (i.e. 2.8) or high ISO (i.e. 400 and above), depending on your subject tone (light/dark) and subject distance. When testing (indoors, sunny day around noon) I had to bounce flash head to the room ceilling as direct flash caused strong overexposure (light subject, distance 2 yards) - as K-3 metering system (in Program & Tv modes) tried to keep the lens wide open.
Yes, this is a persistent problem with Pentax P-TTL at moderate distance and high ISO for both FP and normal P-TTL modes. It even happens with the puny K-3 built-in flash. You would think that the distance display on the flash would reflect the limitation, but it doesn't. You would also think that the system should be smart enough to ramp the ISO down in auto-ISO if flash is present, but it doesn't.

Steve
06-21-2016, 01:42 PM   #29
Forum Member

Great info here on flashes: The Definitive Guide - Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison

Take care,
Newfie
06-22-2016, 04:50 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tx0h Quote
can you/anyone else confirm that this flash has an effect on images when
using HSS (FP) and shutterspeeds shorter than 1/180 (1/160)?

when i set the flash to FP (HSS) and set the shutter to about 1/250s i can't
see any effect in the image.
Sorry if I am relaying already known information...

HSS is not really meant to capture motion. Rather its best use is as fill-flash where the background is too bright for a 1/180 shutter speed at the desired aperture.

In HSS photography, the flash strobes multiple times as the shutter slit crosses the sensor (exposure is always a moving slit at speeds greater than 1/180). In order to strobe, each flash is a fraction of the power available for a single flash per exposure. Most moving subjects are too far away for the fractional flash to make any real difference.

At the local college hockey rink, radio controlled studio strobes were installed to cover the entire rink. The official game photographer uses these super-bright strobes to freeze action at standard X-sync shutter speeds. The aperture used is small enough that most of the exposure is from the high-speed strobes. No on the fly metering is needed because the entire rink is evenly lighted with the same EV every time. That and experience in both shooting at the peak of the action and panning during exposure gives the official photographer a high percentage of usable shoots. The fans take their chances using a higher ISO, no flash and likewise peak of action and panning.