Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2013, 07:58 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've found that the PEF files are smaller than DNG, so I use PEF exclusively on the camera to save space on the card, then before transferring to my NAS I convert them to DNG using Adobe's free DNG converter tool. That may solve your issue if you want to store DNG long-term.

12-20-2013, 08:41 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by David&karen Quote
whatever is the current update version is the one I used and I dl'ed this morning.

David
What computer are you using? I'm running Windows 7 (64-bit) and cannot open DNG, even after I dl'ed and reinstalled DxO9 today.

Maybe the problem is with 64-bit systems.

Cheers.
12-20-2013, 08:48 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
You can also do this in camera, from the Playback mode menu - even whole folders full of images

The K-3 DNG issue DxO report is interesting. The K-3 DNG's seem quite quirky, judging by the issues various RAW tools have been having with them.
Thanks for the tip about in-camera conversion! However, the conversion seems to be to 8-bit per channel, in my hands, at least.

Cheers.
12-20-2013, 08:57 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Its in my second post...

12-20-2013, 09:44 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
This is really interesting. I suspect most of us have been using DNG for a while since that format is supposed to be more universal (earlier support of new cameras they said) and, of course, because some recent Pentax cameras no longer supported PEF. Now the K3 reintroduces PEF and it appears that at least some raw processors have difficulty handling K3 DNGs. DX0 has managed to handle PEFs but not DNGs. So does this mean that we should all us PEF for awhile to improve compatibility? Is there information in the new K3 which just does not fit well in DNG? How can that be since both formats are supposed to only be container files which contain the same date? I am sure there is a simple explanation but I do find it interesting. I will try PEF this weekend with DX0 to see what I get.
DNG was designed as an archival format, meaning that is it backwards compatible. That means that the latest DNG converters will always support older DNG files. Its not forward compatible. The oldest DNG converter is not guaranteed to open the newest DNG files. Its not a "universal" format in that regard. If you were using the K-5 and went to the K-5II then it probably wasn't a problem, but there was no difference in the sensor/image processor/color sensors between those cameras. Going from to the K-3 all of these have changed.
12-20-2013, 10:59 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have DXO Optics Pro v9.0.1.1469 on Windows 7 64-Bit and see the update for 9.1.1.1563 that I will be installing. Another thing that I noticed with the importing of the K-3 DNG files with Adobe Camera Raw v.5.0.2.4 that was updated for the K-3 puts files into different folders as I have folders created based on date during the import process. The date on the K-3 is correct, but I find some photos in the correct folder and then others taken on the same day in a folder named for the next day. This was happening before Adobe provided updates including the K-3 and the Adobe provided an update. There is definitely something about the K-3 DNG files which causes Camera Raw problems still in interpreting the date and copying it to correct folder.
01-07-2014, 06:32 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lm4187 Quote
What computer are you using? I'm running Windows 7 (64-bit) and cannot open DNG, even after I dl'ed and reinstalled DxO9 today.

Maybe the problem is with 64-bit systems.

Cheers.

I asked DxO why no out of camera DNG compatibility for the K-3 and got the following reply:

> Thank you for writing us, we are currently working on the module to get the DNG files recognized

> again. It should not be long for the fix to be created. My apologies for this.

> Please let me know if you have any questions.

> regards,

> Alison

> DxO Support Team

> DxO Labs

So, we will be able to use DNGs shot with the K-3 in DxO Optics Pro some time soon.

01-15-2014, 08:11 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by klkitchens Quote
Downloaded the latest version DxO Optics Pro to play around with the lens corrections abilities...

Was thrilled to see that it already had profiles for the K-3 (yay!), however when I navigated to a folder chock full of K-3 DNG RAW files, it said there were no files in the directory.

I sent a query to DxO about this and lo and behold got this reply:

So there's one reason to keep using PEF, if you're using Optics Pro...
The 9.1.2 update has been released. Says the K-3 DNG support is there. Installing now.